Armstrong's Suites
Bears Cove Inn(Witless Bay)(Great Value!)
$104
Comerfords Suites(Holyrood)(Great Value!)
Orbitz.com
Crossroads Motel & Trailer Park(St. John's)(Great Value!)
$108
$99
$96
  • Pool
Fairfield Inn & Suites St. John's Newfoundland(St. John's)(Great Value!)
$117
Hotels.com
Capital Hotel(St. John's)(Great Value!)
$111
$103
Hotels.com
Ramada St. John's(St. John's)(Great Value!)
$114
$111
JAG(St. John's)(Great Value!)
$130
$126
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbay bullsthe east coastanitahikerstrailaccommodationbeds
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed at Armstrong's Bed and Breakfast for two nights. I was initially a little taken back when we arrived as the property is not located in a particularly pretty spot, with a school bus yard right next door. While there is an ensuite in each room, it is a sink and toilet only and the shower is in a seperate bathroom and is shared. However, the rooms and shared shower were immaculately clean and luckily for us, there was never an issue with waiting for our turn to use the shower. The hosts, Anita and Louis were great, and the breakfasts were the best of our entire trip- practically a buffet every morning, including oatmeal, bacon, eggs, toutons one morning and french toast another. Anita also provides delicious homebaked breads and muffins to nibble on in the evening along with cups of tea. I would definitely stay here again if we were in the Witless Bay
area.

Room Tip: Efficiency suites are also available.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Occasionaltraveler45
Reviewed September 12, 2011

No cats. No carpets. Very clean! All critical for those of us with extreme allergies. Just next door to Canada's Puffin capital and an easy drive into St. John's. Friendly accomodating hosts. Sleep was cut a little bit short due to the early morning rise of some power line workers next door. Overall, a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Lodging rates in St. John's are insane, so my wife and I looked for something more reasonable in the immediate area. We found it at Armstrong's. We stayed four nights in a housekeeping unit (you cook your own meals) and one night in a B&B room to which we moved because the other unit had already been booked. We paid $350 plus tax for the five nights. We were very pleased. The accommodations were perfectly clean and well furnished. Anita is a great hostess and very helpful -- even has a phone plan with unlimited minutes, so guests can call anywhere in Canada or the US for free. Wi-fi worked fine too. Location is about 25 minutes south of downtown St. John's (you can also go into the city by way of Cape Spear nearby). It is just a few minutes from the whale watch in Bay Bulls and a convenient starting point if you are going south on the Irish Loop. Just north of Armstrong's is Route 13, a straight shot west to the Trans Canada. We are pleased to recommend Armstrong's.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank RoadTripRoger
Reviewed July 1, 2011

First off, the B and B does not look over the bay. You will have to go elsewhere for that. There is a little hill that you can hike to, which has a wonderful view of the area and the bay, but you cannot see the bay from your room or the B and B, for that matter. Hence, they are less expensive, I presume, than the B and Bs which do look over the bay.

Hospitality was good. The room was clean, although a little tight. There were snacks and a nice breakfast in the morning.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2010

I just returned from a 10 day trip to Newfoundland. I stayed all 10 days at Armstrong's, in an efficiency unit that was complete with a large full bathroom, full sized stove, fridge, coffee maker, kettle, microwave, kitchen table and chairs, queen sized bed, futon, TV and wireless internet. Everything you could possibly need was there. Laundry facilities are a short trip south, and a grocery store is about 5 minutes to the north. It's a super easy drive down from St. John's. Not just easy but beautiful, which I guess goes without saying in Newfoundland. The room was quiet and very comfortable. I felt like I was at home-away-from-home.

When I arrived Mrs. Armstrong showed me to my unit and gave me several ideas on places to go and things to see. There is a mountain/giant rock about a 10 minute walk from Armstrong's B&B across the road. Mrs. Armstrong told me it's the best view around - and she was right. Absolutely breathtaking. You have a view for miles in every direction. A clear view of the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve - an island where 200,000 Puffins make their summer homes.

The location of Armstrong's is ideal. Although it's not right on the ocean, it's very close. It's easy to get to Cape Broyle (about 20 minutes) for the Sea Kayaking (whales everywhere), a 5 minute drive to Bay Bulls for another whale/puffin tour, about 30 minutes to St. John's if you need to go to the "city". It's also right on the spot to cut over to Placentia and Cape St. Mary's Ecological Bird Sanctuary (which is a must to see). The East Coast Trail has enterances nearby and that offers some great hiking, as well as that 10 minute walk to the top of an amazing hill.

I was invited in for breakfast one morning and it was absolutely delicious.

I would recommend Armstrong's to anyone going to Newfoundland.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo