“Wonderful lunch in a wonderful town”
Review of Gadanha Mercearia

Gadanha Mercearia
Ranked #3 of 42 Restaurants in Estremoz
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Restaurant, Wine Bar, tapas. Coffee, chocolats and cakes. Fine food grocery.
Reviewed September 11, 2018

We were recommended to eat lunch here by an olive oil producer (Amor é Cego Olive Oil) and were so pleased we took up the suggestion. Sitting outside with a beautiful view of the Jardim Municipal de Estremoz we ordered 4 starters which were all excellent. The service was great and the food came up in good time. It was a delight to look at the interesting array of products in the restaurant shop but unfortunate that our suitcases were already heaving with Alentejo souvenirs. I usually say that as there are so many places in the world to visit we can only go to each place once but I think this town and this restaurant may be one of the few exceptions to the rule.

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed August 26, 2018 via mobile

The restaurant is very topical and with good task, the employees are prompt to help and kind. The food the bacalhau with mil folhas just amazing soooo good. The octopus with pure beans very tasty as well both are top quality. We had the mil-folhas desert with ice cream top very good looking and super tasty. Price is high for the region but for what you get is a very good price. I’m a fan now from this restaurant

Reviewed August 13, 2018

Stopped here for lunch at the suggestion of the concierge of the hotel we just departed. She could not have been more right. Definitely worth a detour to Estremoz, Had to wait for a table at lunch but it was worth it. Both the restaurant and the town were a pleasant surprise.

Reviewed August 8, 2018

My wife and I decided to eat here whilst staying in Estremoz and I'm glad we did! The service was excellent and the food was very tasty. My wife had tuna as her main and I had lamb chops, both meals were prepared and cooked to perfection. My wife had an apple based dessert (I can't remember what it was exactly) but she is still enthusing about it three weeks later! Would we return - certainly!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed August 8, 2018

It's great to find such a superb restaurant off the beaten track. The decor is quirky and stylish, the staff friendly and the food very special.
We had the black pork cheek in red wine stew (my husband said it was the best dish he had had for some time), the mushroom risotto (best ever according to daughter) and I had the lovely fresh prawns in a proper home made crunchy coating with a sweet chilli sauce.
There is an extensive wine list which has some reasonably priced choices.
There is an English version of the menu which is just as well as my translation app was coming up with some bizarre words.
It's not cheap - mains are not far off the £20 mark but definitely worth it for a treat.
One tip, it's the first door after the corner - we went into the neighbouring restaurant first and asked for our reservation!

1  Thank Rubybirkenhead