“Best lunch of the trip!”
Review of Gadanha Mercearia

Gadanha Mercearia
Ranked #3 of 42 Restaurants in Estremoz
Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Restaurant, Wine Bar, tapas. Coffee, chocolats and cakes. Fine food grocery.
Reviewed August 13, 2018

Stopped here for lunch at the suggestion of the concierge of the hotel we just departed. She could not have been more right. Definitely worth a detour to Estremoz, Had to wait for a table at lunch but it was worth it. Both the restaurant and the town were a pleasant surprise.

Reviewed August 8, 2018

My wife and I decided to eat here whilst staying in Estremoz and I'm glad we did! The service was excellent and the food was very tasty. My wife had tuna as her main and I had lamb chops, both meals were prepared and cooked to perfection. My wife had an apple based dessert (I can't remember what it was exactly) but she is still enthusing about it three weeks later! Would we return - certainly!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed August 8, 2018

It's great to find such a superb restaurant off the beaten track. The decor is quirky and stylish, the staff friendly and the food very special.
We had the black pork cheek in red wine stew (my husband said it was the best dish he had had for some time), the mushroom risotto (best ever according to daughter) and I had the lovely fresh prawns in a proper home made crunchy coating with a sweet chilli sauce.
There is an extensive wine list which has some reasonably priced choices.
There is an English version of the menu which is just as well as my translation app was coming up with some bizarre words.
It's not cheap - mains are not far off the £20 mark but definitely worth it for a treat.
One tip, it's the first door after the corner - we went into the neighbouring restaurant first and asked for our reservation!

1  Thank Rubybirkenhead
Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

Wow, just wow. I am still lost for words.

We came late for lunch and could only have the starters, and if that is anything to go by, you’re in for a good thing. Goats cheese salad with pears; a veal stew with (slightly) pickled carrots and red onions. And some lovely scrambled eggs.

We were well satisfied after all of that, but then we had some cake; a cheese/sponge cake, and also a nut cake. Yum.

And then some chocolate.

Each serving left you feel satisfied and not wanting any more, but you had more, and just enough not to feel you e over eaten. Perfect portions, perfect flavours perfect place.

Reviewed July 18, 2018 via mobile

It was really delicious. The starters were . The mane course was super, the meat was good of taste and soft. The restaurant looks like a wineceller. There is a little shop in the front where you can buy cheese and meat you can also buy wine.

Date of visit: July 2018