I’ve stayed at Vila Gale Clube de Campo the last week of June in 2010, before the "big" summer vacation start.
I rated this stay with a 4 star but there a bunch of this you should know before deciding to come.
There a lot of great things about this hotel, but there's a lot of bad things also. Everyone should decide if the bad stuff is "bad" for them so they don't get disappointed.
Neither Positive nor Negative:
- Beja is know in Portugal for it’s high temperatures during the day, but by night fall temperatures may drop significantly
- This hotel it's in the middle of a vineyard therefore there is no problem with peace and quiet during your stay, the only problem you could really have is with other guest’s noise.
- There’s a felling of family with everyone of the staff member’s becoming a very fun and enjoyable stay. They are very helpful and nice to talk to.
- If you choose to dine at the restaurant the food is very good and the wine even better.
- If you have kids the “kid’s staff” will try to do everything so they get happy and do a lot of activities.
- If you like to go wine tasting there are a lot of opportunities here to explore.
- If you travel by car to the hotel there’s no shade to park your car and you are a long drive from everything
- Apart from kid activities and wine tasting there’s not a lot to do here, there’s the pool, there’s a pub at night with no entertainment and a high price gym that you have to pay to use. Riding a bike will cost you, and going to town is a good hour/hour and half of travel.
- If you don’t decide to dine at the hotel you will have the far travel to the town and not many good choices in the town as well. And I’ve tried like 10 different places. (but here maybe it was just poor planning on my part)
- The rooms are not that clean, the balcony with to chair were full of spider webs even. But the beds are comfortable and the pillows really soft (this is important to me).
So if you’re thinking to really rest, and have a drink by the pool, go here but just pay extra to have your meals at the hotel or you will be going crazy with so many car travels.
- Receptionists are professional but always with a close face attending to costumers. Impossible to find a smile there, “sympathy” is a word they just don’t know.
- Room was the worst surprise. Size is regular, but beds are “extremely” uncomfortable, I still feel the pain in my back. They all have a door to the next room, I phone the reception but they told that all the rooms have that door, but not to worry because there was a wall between both doors, believing or not, I’ve heard every single conversation of the couple next door. Horrible.
- Restaurant, we had paid for breakfast and dinner, we were inform that there were few costumers in the hotel and because of that we could chose from the menu because it would be no buffet. We don’t mind because we thought it would be better. Some minutes later we understand that we couldn’t chose some of the menu option (the most expensive) and we have stayed the rest of the weekend eating the same 2 dishes over and over.
- Indoor swimming pool, another bad surprise. There were 7ºc and we went to the swimming pool to enjoy the rest of the afternoon, arriving there we were informed that for 3 days of using the swimming pool we should pay 18,00 eur (each), unbelievable!! What they expect people to do in a hotel on winter season, without any animation and nothing in the surrounding area?! We thought that the swimming pool should be free of course, or that it was included in the price we have already paid.
- Animation, there were NO animation at all, even in the bar you must always been listening to that same cd of classic music. A disaster.
- Restaurant, the staff is fantastic, always with a smile and ready to help you in everything you ask for. One of the best things in the hotel is the restaurant staff.
- Good choice for those who enjoy tasting good wines (Casa de Santa Vitória). The Rosé wine is fantastic (just a tip).
- For a relaxing stay this is a positive choice, but don’t forget about the bad conditions I mention on the bad aspects.
- If you have car, don’t forget to visit Beja (17km), Évora (90 km), Vila Viçosa (specially the Palace, wonderful!! 150 km), Mértola (45 km), all in good road conditions.
- For those who have kids and they can’t live without burgers, just go to Beja, when you arrive, you will automatically see Mc Donalds.
- Four-wheel motorcycle, price for half an hour: 25,00 eur
- Cycling, for 1 hour: 6,00 eur
- Tenis, 1h: 7,50 eur
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Only 25 km from Beja this hotel is perfectly integrated in the rural landscape. The nearest link to public transportations is to be found 10 km away from the hotel. This country side hotel has a total of 81 rooms of which 22 family rooms and 3 junior suites. It offers 24 hour reception, free Internet Wi-Fi connection in public areas, wheelchair access an parking. The public areas include an air-conditioned restaurant, a bar, a games room, a public Internet terminal as well as a children's play area. For and additional fee guest can use our laundry services and garage. The comfortable rooms are equipped with air conditioning, electronic safety door look, direct telephone, safe, LCD TV with Cable and Pay TV, Wi-Fi Connection (for and additional cost), Minibar and 24 hour room service, private bathroom with telephone and hair dryer. In outdoor areas guest will find a swimming pool, a children's paddling area and a sun terrace with loungers and parasols. Other facility in need to be highlighted is the Health Club that is composed of a set of infrastructures for providing wellbeing to all customers. You can count on indoor heated pool, Jacuzzi, Turkish bath and gym. For additional costs you can also enjoy massages and treatment rooms in our Spa. It is possible to take advantage of a multitude of activities such as: jeep safari, minigolf, horse riding, skeet shooting, btt, atv, rappel, paintball, kayaking and fishing. Guests may select their breakfast, lunch and dinner from a wide buffet. Lunch and dinner may be chosen from a set menu or a la carte. Furthermore, it is possible to book a half-board stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Vila Gale Clube de Campo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.