“Great stay!!”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Oakerthorpe Manor

The stunning Manor building from the garden
The lounge is large and airy - with bells to order your tea! The games room with pool table and quiz machine
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
The stunning Manor building from the garden
The lounge is large and airy - with bells to order your tea!
The games room with pool table and quiz machine
The gold room has a bath with a view over the garden
The dining room can comfortably seat 24 people
The Well Equipped Kitchen has the Original Servant Bells
The first floor bathroom - contemporary and luxurious style
The garden bedroom on the first floor has views over the garden
The Master bedroom luxurious and spacious
The drawing room is large and opens directly onto the lawn
The hallway and stairway showing the original carved staircase
The Manor is full of original features
The master bedroom en-suite has matching sinks
The master bedroom en-suite has Victorian bath and large shower
The master bedroom in red and gold - luxurious and spacious
The master suite has stunning views of the grounds
The dining room is a great space for a celebration!
The bedrooms are large, light and airy
The games room has oak panelling for a club room feel
The entrance door has the original Victorian door bell and glass
The Manor House from the grounds - large and imposing
The drive down to the Manor from the gates
The Manor and lawn from the grounds
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Any
John B
“Great stay!!”
Reviewed August 4, 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Had a fantastic stay here with a group of friends. Lovely big house plenty of space for everyone and well equipped. Good location and not overlooked at all so was good for having a barbecue and relaxing. A few minor things like slight leak from one of the showers but I'm sure the owner will resolve, very good communication. Would recommend.

Aug 4, 2017
Hello John. Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review; your opinion is important to us! Glad you had such a good time and hope to welcome you to stay again in the future.
A TripAdvisor Member
“Uni reunion”
Reviewed August 1, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Booked directly with the owners on recommendation from a friend who had stayed in the past. Really friendly people, couldn't be more helpful with information about walks (and pubs at the end of walks), local attractions, local pubs... The house has everything you might need (not sure the girls appreciated the servants bells though - we thought they were great). Barbecue gave the guys chance to share the cooking. Plenty of room for all of us. Defo stay again, Might not wait ten years this time.

Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Aug 2, 2017
Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review - I'm glad that you found our recommendations helpful and that your party enjoyed all of the features of the Manor. We would love to welcome you again; do get in touch directly when you are ready to make another booking!
Brooks94
Newbury, United Kingdom
“You really do get what you pay for :-( :-( :-(”
Reviewed July 18, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

It is very unfortunate but I have to say I wouldn't recommend this rental to anybody...I booked it for my mothers 70th and there were 8 adults and 7 children. My parents got there first and whilst it was June the house was cold so they decided to light a fire (they have always had natural fires) - this smoked the whole house out - which led to the discovery that most of the sash windows were nailed down -HEALTH AND SAFETY??? Only some of the lighting in the house worked, the TV reception was extremely poor with only 3/4 channels. The Wi-Fi password did not work - 3 of us tried and 2 work in I.T. The "games room" was poor with a torn pool table- no full set of balls and broken cue's and a quiz game machine that charged 50p to play...On Saturday morning we all sat in the poorly decorated kitchen and watched as the shower leaked/poured through the ceiling above... shower leak. Although the house sits on a lot of land there was only a small patch of accessible lawn with a BBQ on it - I say lawn - it clearly hadn't seen a lawn mower for weeks...Could have been a really good location for a really good stay but the owners are just trying to get as much money out of it for as little re-investment as possible- possibly to do with the fact that the place has been up for sale for a few month...Also, it would have been helpful to pre-warn us that people were moving into the gatehouse and would have a delivery van parked in the 1 entrance for most of the day. We paid just under £1400 for the weekend - I realise it's hard to get large houses at reasonable prices but I would recommend shopping around and avoiding this one...A real shame as with a bit of work it could of been a really basic but nice place to stay...I did get my £350 deposit back within a few weeks (via Paypal).

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Aug 1, 2017
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review; we do our utmost to ensure that our guests enjoy their stay and encourage guests to contact us immediately should they encounter any issues. We provide several contact numbers to this end. As explained during the show-around at the beginning of your stay, windows are fitted with window locks for safety and the location of the key to these locks is pointed out to guests. The chimneys were swept at the beginning of March; unfortunately, however, since the sweep’s visit and without our knowledge a bird had decided to nest up there! As I explained on arrival, an electrical issue meant that the front hallway lights did not work and that lamps had been provided as we felt that an electrician working during your stay would be an intrusion; if, however, you had requested it, it would have been possible to call an electrician to come out the same day. The television is connected to a Freeview box with signal booster which provides a variety of channels; although this is explained on show-round, in light of your comments we have now revised our Guest Information Pack so that the information is provided in writing. I am sorry that you were unaware that people were moving in – as I explained, the Gate Lodge is not connected to the Manor and, as such, we have no control over the comings and goings of the residents – I was led to believe, however, that the removers were delivering their final load when your party arrived at 3pm and so was unaware that a van was parked for most of the day. I have asked the Housekeeper to ensure that all pool balls are replaced in their box and that pool balls, chalk, replacement cue tips etc are placed on the table once it has been cleaned, so that they are easily accessible. I have taken note of your comments about the surface of the pool table and am arranging for an expert to see how the surface can be improved. Once again, thank you for your input.
Reviewed June 21, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Jun 25, 2017
Thank you for leaving us such a nice review. We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we'll certainly look into the issues you raised. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Dan M
South Normanton, United Kingdom
“fabulous period property!”
Reviewed May 21, 2017 for a stay in May 2017

Wow! Well the only way I can describe this property is that it is truly amazing, my partner found this place on the internet, when we were looking for a suitable place for our family get together for a weekend, So we contacted the administrator Marie and checked for availability and booked in.

Well I have to say that we had a extremely warm welcome by Marie and Daniel, Marie was informative, friendly, and had lots of knowledge of where is best to eat, local attractions and Daniel made us feel relaxed and informed us of good walking spots.

We were a large group of 17, which worked out at roughly £50.00 per night for each person for our stay, which was very reasonably priced especially for the location.

let me tell you what we thought of the outside of the place... it was great, lots of space to explore for the younger members of our party and well breath taking views out of the windows.

I called Daniel to ask about the best walk in the area and he recommended that we go into Matlock Bath, we had a lovely walk around the area, and then when we arrived back to our early 19th Century home for the weekend we had a BBQ as it was relatively warm for the afternoon. it is great having two wonderful people on hand, well just at the end of the telephone when you need them,

The inside of the house was wonderful, clean beds, lovely and comfortable seating in the many reception rooms available for our enjoyment.

I will certainly recommend this place to all of our friends, who are looking to visit the area for a weekend. Its a marvellous place, in awesome surroundings.
Thank you for a great stay and we will be back again, as the service from beginning to end was fantastic!

Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
jodup39
Cheltenham
“Diabolical in every sense....”
Reviewed May 2, 2017 for a stay in April 2017
people found this review helpful

A large group of us rented this accommodation hoping for a good Easter weekend. We could not have been more disappointed. We arrived with children and were dismayed to note that there was nowhere for the children to play. Gardens were completely overgrown and unkempt, a waterhole ( which was euphemistically termed the lake) was unfenced and full of stagnant water. Not only that but a train line runs directly outside the back of the property. You can forget leaving young children to play outside. As for the interior of the property well this was a complete joke. The house was filthy. Mattresses were dirty, stained and unbearably uncomfortable, carpets were frayed, full of detritus and had never been cleaned, furniture was broken and curtains were hanging from threads. We tired to light a fire on one evening to warm ourselves, as the house was that cold, only to discover that the chimney was blocked. This resulted in smoke pouring into the the property. However what worried us no end was the fact there were no smoke detectors in the entire house. Also, despite the fact that the bedrooms are on two upper floors there is no fire escape at all. To my mind this property is not fit for human habitation, is a safety nightmare and frankly should be shut down. When I left I said to my husband that I would be surprised if my friends got their deposit back as it's clear the owners are misrepresenting this property in an attempt to get money. Looking at the state of this place it is clear that money is in short supply. I was right, my dear friends are struggling from Australia to recover their deposit. As a solicitor, if it was up to me, I would be issuing court proceedings. However it is not my call to make. No doubt the owners will jump on here to tell the world that this review is all lies. We have photos of the state of this place which will form evidence if we need to take further legal steps. Anyone thinking of staying here be warned.....it's just awful!

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
May 9, 2017
We welcome all genuine feedback as this enables us to ensure the best possible experience for our guests. Before responding to each of your points can I first explain that the damages deposit is charged due to the age of the property and the fact that many fixtures and fittings are difficult or impossible to replace - such as the heritage paintwork/plasterwork and antique fire irons that were damaged during your stay. In accordance with the booking contract we are within our rights to withhold the whole amount so I think £60 is quite a reasonable sum. We also state that the damages deposit will be refunded approximately two weeks following the stay so I dispute your assertion that your friends are 'struggling to recover their deposit'; I also find it strange that I received no complaints from the booker during or after your stay, since I always give guests my personal mobile number in case of need.

To answer your points: The Holiday Lettings website and our booking contract clearly point out the proximity of the railway line; however most guests are happy to allow their children to play on the lawn directly outside the French doors leading from the Drawing Room.

During the induction tour of the property, the location of the pond and the fact that it is not fenced off are mentioned. Guests are told about operation of the heating system and location of the escape ladder which can be used to exit the upper floors should this be necessary.

Both the booking contract and the induction tour point out that only seasoned timber and coal should be burned in the fireplaces and guests are told where they can purchase more if they use up the supply we provide; pine cones and green wood gathered in the grounds are going to smoke but clearly not that much as the smoke alarms were not triggered - you may not have noticed them as they are discreet and hard-wired.

We try to maintain the period feel of the building where possible so the furniture is not brand-new shiny Ikea, I'm afraid! All of the beds have mattress protectors which are replaced with the linen for every booking; I will personally check the beds as the Housekeeper has not reported anything to me. Perhaps you would be good enough to let me know which furniture is broken as I have been unable to locate it.
Gemmakemp...
“Mrs”
Reviewed November 28, 2016 for a stay in October 2016

Me and a group of friends rented this amazing manor at halloween for the weekend and it was fantastic!!! The scenery and atmospheare was amazing the whole place was like stepping back in time, a real slice of history.I would recommend the manor to anyone me and my friends have already booked to go again next year. We can not wait 10 out of 10 for me x

Dec 7, 2016
Thank you for taking the time to leave us such a great review. We are really glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back next year!
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing