“Freindly and great value”
other travelers have booked this property

Review of Oakerthorpe Manor

The stunning Manor building from the garden
The lounge is large and airy - with bells to order your tea! The games room with pool table and quiz machine
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
The stunning Manor building from the garden
The lounge is large and airy - with bells to order your tea!
The games room with pool table and quiz machine
The gold room has a bath with a view over the garden
The dining room can comfortably seat 24 people
The Well Equipped Kitchen has the Original Servant Bells
The first floor bathroom - contemporary and luxurious style
The garden bedroom on the first floor has views over the garden
The Master bedroom luxurious and spacious
The drawing room is large and opens directly onto the lawn
The hallway and stairway showing the original carved staircase
The Manor is full of original features
The master bedroom en-suite has matching sinks
The master bedroom en-suite has Victorian bath and large shower
The master bedroom in red and gold - luxurious and spacious
The master suite has stunning views of the grounds
The dining room is a great space for a celebration!
The bedrooms are large, light and airy
The games room has oak panelling for a club room feel
The entrance door has the original Victorian door bell and glass
The Manor House from the grounds - large and imposing
The drive down to the Manor from the gates
The Manor and lawn from the grounds
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Adam F
London, England, United Kingdom
“Freindly and great value”
Reviewed December 22, 2014 for a stay in December 2014

Had a wonderful stay at the manor - we were very kindly welcomed and shown around the place. We had one small issue on the first night which was quickly resolved by them - great space, great for a group of people and would certainly recommend based on how great value the place was due to the size and views.

Nov 12, 2015
Good evening Adam,
we are so glad you have had a lovely stay at the Manor. We do try to solve any issues straight away so that we can make your stay pleasurable. we hope to see you again in the future.
Hayley K
Oxford, England, United Kingdom
“Owners will ruin your stay, book elsewhere!”
Reviewed October 1, 2014 for a stay in August 2014
people found this review helpful

I stayed here with a group of friends in August. We are a group of professionals between the ages of 27 and 30 and go away every year to a holiday home in the UK for a long weekend. The downstairs had some lovely and impressive rooms and the kitchen was well equipped, but the dishwasher was close to being unusable. Unfortunately apart from these and the main bedroom and the bathrooms which were quite nice this is where the positives end. A lot of the bedrooms and ceiling and walls around the place were in poor condition and the building is definitely in need of a lot of renovation. I stayed on the top floor and my room was basic, the floors creaked, there was one socket, no lamp by the bed or in the room and no long mirrors in the whole property. I had to dry and straighten my hair in other peoples rooms and charge my phone the opposite side from my bed. My biggest complaint about this place and what sadly put a damper on our holiday was the owners refused to give us £60 of our deposit back. They accused us of breaking a pool cue and putting a hole in the ceiling that they then changed to saying was the wall. The pool cue was broken when we arrived and the hole in the wall was revealed when the two single beds in one of the rooms was put together to make a double bed and was already there before our arrival. We all took the time to make sure we left the place in the condition we had found it and are honest people who would have admitted and been accepting of paying had we broken anything. The instructions that are left in the house are very blunt and not written in a friendly or welcoming manner either. It is horrible being accused of something that we have not done and I would strongly advise anyone who is considering staying here to reconsider.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The kitchen and dining room
Liked least: The owners accusing us of something we didn't do
Traveling group: Friends
Dec 2, 2014
Just to be clear to anyone reading, you were in the group with the last reviewers. Your room was the one where the hole was made in the ceiling, which had to be re-plastered. This was nowhere near the beds. The housekeeper makes an inventory before and after each visit. If there is any doubt about damages caused, I pay for them to be repaired myself. There was absolutely no doubt that the gaping hole was made by your party, in your room, in fact.

It is so hurtful that you have described the house as being in such bad repair - but I imagine that's your aim, sadly.

The dishwasher, American fridge, TV, DVD, hob and ovens are all new this year. You made no calls regarding any problems during your stay. It is horrible to have people say that they are honest and then go all out to deny damage they have caused. I have never done this before, but I shall be posting pictures of the damage on Tripadvisor. Your friend who left the last review also denied that anyone had shown them the house or carried out an inventory check. As you wouldn't have been able to get in or out of the grounds shows that this is also not true.

The house was built in 1840 and does have creaky floorboards!! In years of renting out the house, we have never had a request for a cheval mirror, but it is certainly something I shall consider. Had you called us, we could have had one brought over to you. I'm sorry that you had to get in and out of bed to charge your phone. Again, it is something I will consider in the future.

There is a copy of the booking contract in the house. This isn’t instructions or a welcome pack, but a contract – it has to be in blunt language, to be clear and unambiguous. I’m sorry that you didn’t like that – you will have had a copy of it already, but perhaps we should make a brochure, or welcome information pack too. I shall consider it for guests arriving this year.
Alexander...
London, England, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing depository issues.”
Reviewed August 30, 2014 for a stay in August 2014
person found this review helpful

We are considering taking the owners to the small claims court as they have retained some of our deposit for damage which was not sustained during our stay.
Despite regular communication about the disagreement the owners refused to engage with us to resolve the situation. We recommend to any future guests to heavily document all existing damage to avoid a repeat of this unfortunate and unfair occurrence.
We have been enjoying weekends away for many years at various rental properties and have never had a situation such as this before.
We are left feeling disappointed, with a sour taste in the mouth.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked least: Damage and deposit issue.
Traveling group: Friends
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Sep 7, 2014
This group made a hole in the wall and broke a pool cue for which a charge of £60 was made. The lead guest told me that no one had shown her guests the house, which is untrue. All guests are greeted and shown the house by the head housekeeper. The damage was caused during their stay, of which there is no doubt and can be attested by the housekeeping team. The wall necessitated plastering and I did not charge her for re-papering the room. This lady then proceeded to barrage with emails, informing me that there was a solicitor in her party, so I had better not withold any sum for the damage caused. It is very sad when guests are not able to take responsibility for their damages. Luckily it doesn't happen often, unhappily, those who behave in this manner are quick to review on Tripadvisor. The pictures and the staff statements prove absolutely that the damages were caused by this group. We would be more than happy to meet any action in the small claims court, but will not be intimidated by guests in this way.
Blueaerod...
Stoke on Trent, England
“Great property let down by the gardens and some maintenance”
Reviewed August 3, 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Oakerthorpe Manor

I was taken away by my family for a surprise birthday weekend to Oakerthorpe. It is a big house that easily accommodated all 13 of us.
The house was easy to find. There is an electric gate system that has to be opened from either a key that you have with you, or someone in the house letting you in. When we first arrived we couldn’t get our son, who was already in the house to hear us and three cars had to wait on a bend while we tried to find out which of us had managed to get a mobile signal to call him as the button on the wall didn’t seem to work. It all worked out but we had to be vigilant about traffic until we knew that all the party had arrived. The gate was good security but a bit of a nuisance overall.
We were a large group of 13 ranging in ages from 3 to 82. We just wanted to have a relaxing weekend together and Oakerthorpe was perfect for this. It is large enough to allow people room to enjoy themselves without being on top of each other, especially when we got some rain. The main room was very large with a TV etc. There was another reception room with doors leading out into the garden. The dining room was enormous with a huge table that could accommodate a very large group. This was at the other end of the house to the kitchen though. Off from there was a pool table / games room.
The kitchen was very large and extremely well equipped with two ovens and two large fridge freezers. Perfect for large group catering. There are plenty of mugs and crockery etc and the welcome pack of wine and fruit was very generous, more than expected. There is a large table in the kitchen and the whole room had a warm cosy feel to it.
There is a convenient cloakroom next to the front door. The door has glass panels in which are not opaque enough to stop people inside being seen. It could do with a net curtain up.
The bedrooms were lovely, especially the master bedroom which we had. It was exceptionally large. We needed to use the two smaller rooms at the top of the house for adults in the party and the roof was sloping. My daughter said that her shoulder was in contact with the ceiling when she lay on her side. She had to pull the bed out at an angle to rectify this but had to be careful as it would block the door. As the light switch was on the outside of the door it got a bit fiddly.
The house was very warm when we arrived (early June). We used the open fire one evening but could easily have coped without it. The features of the house were lovely with the servants bells in the room and a stained glass window on the stairs.
People may want to be aware that there is a train line with a regular service running right at the side of the house. It didn’t bother us much but the service seemed to start about 6am on the Saturday and a bit later on the Sunday. The trains seem fast and pass pretty quickly.
As others have said, the house is rather tired and in need of some TLC. This let Oakerthorpe down somewhat. Reviews on TA and in the guest book in the house all repeatedly mention the overgrown state of the garden, yet nothing seems to be done about this. We had to trample down the grass around the picnic tables outside to get to them. Garden seats had grass growing up through them. Looking out of the games room window there was a great big nettle coming over half way up. Nettles were at the side of the drive too. A bit of a clear up with this wouldn’t take much and would make for a much more impressive approach to the house. We took a walk into the woods at the bottom of the garden and walked towards the lake but we couldn’t get anywhere near it due to the nettles. The garden is important when renting this house but it needs a bit of serious attention.
Windows were very dirty and didn’t look as if they had been cleaned for some time. If the garden and windows were tended to, this would brighten the house up a lot. Minor repairs to the runners on the dishwasher rack and the knob on the patio doors (kept coming off and the wood looked rotten) would improve things and wouldn’t take much to do.
Despite some of the shortcomings, we all had a lovely time and our stay was over too quickly. As Oakerthorpe seems to be mainly a weekend retreat, it may be worth asking for a later checkout as getting 13 people out for 10am on the Sunday was a major undertaking. One of the major issues we experienced was the length of time and number of phone calls it took to get the deposit back. As this is not an insignificant amount, it would make me think twice about staying again if I was paying. It took just under six weeks for it to be returned and there weren't any issues to complicate this, just a straightforward return.

This is a lovely property without any near neighbours and plenty of parking, so you can really have a good time without worrying about noise. A little more attention to the garden and general maintenance and this would be a real winner.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Size of property and number of rooms, the kitchen was very good
Liked least: state of the garden and lack of general maintenance
Traveling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Families with young children Large groups
Aug 15, 2014
Hi,
Thank you so much for leaving your comments on TripAdvisor. You make some good points. The intercom is only audible in the kitchen area and this should have been explained to your son. The directions that we give on arrival, namely to call the house from the pub aim to avoid the situation of cars backing up on the road, which is busy. I shall ensure that our admin reiterates this in the booking contract and email correspondence to guests. The Apple Room that your daughter had is advertised at being suitable for one adult or two children, although guests have often had two adults sharing, it is not ideal, for the reasons that you cite. Thank you for your comments about the kitchen equipment and welcome pack that we prepare for guests. The central heating system was recently upgraded – not a small job! I’m glad that it did its job and kept you all cosy. We used to state everywhere about the train line being next to the house – it is probable that the house was built because of the development of the railway – local legend has it that there used to be a train platform in the grounds! We have fenced all the length of the railway line and I think that you would agree that the sound of the trains passing is not really audible inside the house. I agree with your comments about the garden – our gardener died suddenly and it has been tricky to get a firm in to do the work, especially through this summer. We have it sorted now though – I shall send you pictures. I’m not sure where the nettles are that stopped you getting to the lake though – I walk it most days. I have looked through the TripAdvisor reviews just now and can only find one reference to the grass needing mowing and the last review that mentions the poor state of the garden, so I can’t really accept that this is a repeated comment.
Regarding the house being tired and in need of TLC, it is difficult to get the balance. People come to party, relax and have a good time. When I first let the house, I had all my antiques and new carpets, appliances all new, but within only 4 weeks, the dining table had to be French polished and the Italian sink basin had been smashed. The linens in 3 bedrooms were destroyed and someone had vomited on a carpet. Of course, none of the guests had done any of it!!!! This is upsetting, but we now try to be pragmatic and furnish and repair in a way that keeps the rental costs at reasonable level. Thanks for letting us know about the drawing room doors.
Regarding the deposit, another person paid and this was difficult for us to get to the bottom of. We have recently started accepting payments by Paypal, as well as credit card and bank transfer. One of the changes that we are making is to have everyone pay through Paypal. In this way, we can cross reference the payee’s name against the booking. Once again, my apologies for this delay, however, I’m so glad that you had a wonderful stay at the house.
claire m
Ely, United Kingdom
“I don't really know where to start!”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 for a stay in July 2014

We stayed at Oakerthorpe Manor for my parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary. The website very cleverly depicts a beautiful interior - and the property could be stunning with the right care and attention - but it is in fact in need of some serious tlc! Wallpaper is coming away from the walls; there is clearly a lot of damp that needs addressing; carpets very threadbare; dishwasher old and not working properly (so 17 of us washed up!); no soap was provided in the toilets/bathrooms( this shouldn't even be an extra! ); one of the bathrooms is leaking into the kitchen; en suites neither big enough nor very pleasant; tv (needs updating) didn't work (which disappointed our boys as they had hoped to watch the world cup final and couldn't); dining room chairs broken; garden needs a huge amount of attention but in fact we didn't really want to be in the garden as we spotted a few rats running around!; games room ceiling looks like it is falling in; and I could go on and on. All in all this property is not worth the huge amount of money we spent for one weekend. We have stayed in many holiday rentals as an extended family(18) which have cost less than this and have been of superb quality. We expected so much more from Oakerthorpe Manor and it really could be stunning with some proper care and attention, and of course some money is spent on it!

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Enough space for our large extended family to be together
Liked least: Amenities did not work
Traveling group: Extended Family
Aug 15, 2014
Hi,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on TripAdvisor. I'm sorry that you didn't have a good time - this happens very rarely! The Manor was built in 1840 and does have its problems from time to time. I shall address your concerns as best as possible. You didn't contact us at all during your stay to ask for help with anything - some of these things can't be changed in a weekend - for example, expanding the size of the ensuites, but I can assure you that there is nothing wrong with the TV, for example. A phone call would have rectified this for you, or for any leak in the bathrooms. We re-decorate once per year throughout the whole house - sometimes guests are a little more hard on the interior than in other years. The garden became overgrown this year following the sudden death of our gardener - we now have a firm who has quickly transformed the area. There are no rats though! The dishwasher is around 3 years old - I think that you're right, we should put in a new one, so have ordered one. However, it should have worked perfectly well for you without the need to hand wash the dishes. I often accompany our Chef to help with private dining for guests and have not noticed any problem with it, nor have other guests remarked. We also have 2 new fridges and 2 new ovens on order to go in over the next few weeks. New carpets throughout are in the plan for the next refurbishment, prompted mainly because a group of guests burned 3 large carpets with hair straighteners. The dining chairs often get broken by guests - people are there to have a good time!! We keep a stock of new ones and it is the responsibility of our housekeeper to check that the chairs are in good order. I am not aware of any request for new chairs since your stay. When you say that the games room ceiling looks as though it is coming in it sounds like the Blitz!! However, when the oak paneling was put in, it had to adapt to the nuances of that 1840 ceiling, which isn't flat and smooth. We are very clear as to what is included in the stay, in terms of wine, welcome pack, fruits, dishwasher tablets, washing up liquid etc. We don't include soap any more as the majority of people prefer to use their own toiletries. In four years we have not had this comment, but I shall inquire of our forthcoming guests regarding the need for soap provision. The cost of renting Oakerthorpe Manor is on a par with a Travelodge. 17 people for 3 nights works out at just over £100 per person for the stay, or £30 per person, per night. I'm sorry if you felt that this was an excessive amount for your stay, but a night in a Youth Hostel sharing a room with strangers will cost around £25 per person, so I have to disagree with you there!
cd234trav...
Reading, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting for my 30th birthday dinner party”
Reviewed March 22, 2014 for a stay in February 2014
person found this review helpful

I chose Oakerthorpe Manor as the venue for my 30th birthday because the accomodation looked fantastic and fit with the requirements of my guests, plus I wanted to host a dinner party and it had a large kitchen and dining room. I was not disappointed, each room was excellently presented and clean. Everyone was very happy with their bedrooms and bathrooms. Even the twin and triple rooms are well presented and roomy. The downstairs was very impressive, and many hours were spent at the pool table. The kitchen had almost everything I needed, and I was able to cook for 12 relatively easily. The dining room was a fantastic place for a dinner party and it all felt very grand. Overall Oakerthorpe was the perfect setting for a memorable weekend.

Recommended for:
Friends getaway Large groups
Nov 13, 2015
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review. We are delighted to hear you had a lovely weekend. Our Manor is the ideal place to hold large dinner parties.
We would love for you to visit again.
Carole W
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Lord of the Manor 70th birthday party”
Reviewed February 7, 2014 for a stay in January 2014
person found this review helpful

We stayed at Oakerthorpe Manor over 2 nights for the celebrations of my husbands 70th birthday with 16 members of our family, (including 5 children who all thought it was brilliant). He was Lord of the Manor for the weekend and on the Saturday we had a family party and were joined by close friends, with the theme of posh frocks, dinner jackets and dickey bows. Everybody was very impressed with the house, and entered into the spirit of the evening. It was very comfortable and warm, very well equipped with crockery, glasses etc. There are some lovely old features in the house and we all felt very much at ease. Paul the owner who met us on arrival was very pleasant and helpful. We had a lot of compliments of the choice of this venue and would certainly recommend it to people who want to hold a large gathering. The only very small criticism would be that there needs to be lights on the drive and outside the front door, as people were arriving on a cold dark January night.

Your age range 65+
Nov 12, 2015
Dear Carole,
Thank you so much for your review.
We are delighted you had a lovely weekend, we have taken your feedback on board and are looking into having some lighting for the driveway put in place.
Again we are glad the 'Lord of the Manor' had a lovely 70th birthday and we hope to see you again in the future.
Grace
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing