Shafston Greathouse
$184
Orbitz.com
Luna Sea Inn(Bluefields)(Great Value!)
$97
  • Beachfront
$55
Agoda.com
  • Pool
Round Hill Hotel & Villas(Hopewell)(Great Value!)
$306
$269
  • Pool
Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$517
  • Breakfast included
Secrets St. James Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$488
Bookit.com
Breathless Montego Bay Resort & Spa(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$506
$429
Sunscape Splash Montego Bay(Montego Bay)(Great Value!)
$246
$231
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsevery morningloungingrumjamaicaocean
Reviewed March 10, 2011

My boyfriend & I actually stayed here about 5 years ago. It was my first of many trips to Jamaica & I wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with the touristy areas such as Ocho Rios or Negril. Nor do I now. This place is not for you if you need television, dance clubs, bars or college student filled hotels & packed beaches in order to be entertained. If you're looking to experience the REAL Jamaica, this is a great place to start!! This beautiful, historic old Plantation Great House was clean, wonderful, charming, full of character & couldn't be placed better. It is up a rather precarious hill which at the time of my stay was pretty washed out from heavy rains. However, once we got to the place, the bone jarring ride was quickly forgotten. (If you are going to stay here & want to rent a car, I highly suggest a Jeep or other 4wd vehicle.) From it's vantage point, half way up a good sized mountain, you can see an entire bay from left to right, stretched out before you. The sunsets are SPECTACULAR to say the least. The patio/pool/bar area is facing the bay so all you get is this gorgeous view whether you are swimming, drinking, lounging or eating your meals. We chose a plan which included all of our drinks (serve yourself) & meals. Every one of them was yummy & the fresh bananas & other tropical fruits (some I'd never even heard of!) were AMAZING! The cook was a very sweet local woman. There is a Rastafarian community much higher up the hill, so if you're a vegetarian, they completely understand, can & will accommodate you. I especially loved hanging in one of the hammocks along the front of the house watching the ocean, colorful geckos on the wall of the house & the birds . If you'd like to arrange for sight seeing trips, Frank will organize them for you & even take you, for a price, if you have no car. There was also a gentleman that worked there when we went, Cleveland I believe, who would take you for hikes up the hill too. We especially liked walking down the hill & taking the "route taxi's", which are mini vans often stuffed to capacity with the locals. There is a driver & a person letting people on & off & collecting the fares, who work as a team. They are cheap, fun & a great way to interact with the real Jamaica. You may encounter school kids going home for lunch or people coming back from the market with chickens. The people on them were always very friendly & most a bit curious about the white people on the bus, asking us questions about where we were from, where we were staying (everyone in the area knows Frank ; ) and even the little girls asking if they could touch my blonde hair. ; ) When we stayed at Shafston, we were the only Americans, as Frank is German & has a lot of other German guests, not a problem at all. I honestly can't say enough good things about Frank, his staff & Shafston. We loved it & I'm SURE I will be back again some day.

Tracy
Boston, Ma.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tlbarron1124
Reviewed March 5, 2011

Had a very enjoyable vacation staying at this nice hotel nestled in the hills above Bluefields. Fantastic views, great food and the owner is friendly and accomodating. The beach is very nice and this is a very beautiful part of Jamaica. Definitely would recommend...

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andor1112
Reviewed January 29, 2011

If you want to go to stay somewhere with all the home comforts, then go to one of the all-inclusive resorts in Jamaica. If you've got a bit more of sense of adventure, then Shaftston is a great place to stay for a couple of nights. The drive up to the house is a bit hair-raising, but we easily managed it without a four-wheel drive - just take your time and enjoy the scenery! Once there, you can unwind by lying in a hammock with the most amazing views out to the sea - not to mention the sunsets, or lie on a sunlounger by the pool. Our room was basic, but clean and cool with a hot shower.

Frank is an excellent host and keeps a well-stocked bar of rum. If, in the morning, you regret drinking quite so much rum, then he also cooks a mean breakfast with endless cups of good coffee. My vegetarian diet was also well catered for at dinner.

It's a shame that there weren't more guests when we stayed, but we were lucky enough to have a litter of puppies to play with, visit quickly before they grow up!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 26, 2011

This hotel was once a buzz of activity with travellers and those prepared to venture off the beaten track for amazing views. Frank the owner is a very friendly host. Highly recommended for the view but not a luxury stay in terms of facilities. Excellent breakfast and dinner and free alcohol included in the price.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank SWHN16
Reviewed May 25, 2010

This was my first time back in ten years and was greatly missed its a 300 year old great house with all the modern conviences ,the whole place is run on solar energy now,which for me was really cool the Jamaican sun was making ice in the bar all day and we where making new friends at night ,with such a great energy to the place I never wanted to leave , the new road is great ,a five minute ride to one of the best beaches in the world so relaxed and quiet cant wait to go back this fall ,cheers from Canada

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled solo