“Bon Echo Provincial Park Site 72”

Bon Echo Provincial Park
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Cloyne
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We were at Bon Echo Provincial Park site 72 on the long weekend of Civic holiday august 2012! Went with kids and family! Stayed at site 72 as there was no other site available! But before booking this site please read my review as you might change your mind! The site has a direct access to little flushable toilet and sink which is convenient for our family but also convenient for people living around you! We had so much traffic due to this there were people directly walking on our site to take a short cut! Even in the night there was so much noise and people with flash lights so we didn't need any light as it was all provided for us! To top it all the fire pit was right next to the toilet so you really wouldn’t' want to have any fire in the evening! Man I am not sure who made this site but please don’t book it even if you don’t get any other site!

Positive things about the park are it’s beautiful with perfect beach and lots of activities for the family! So do visit the park but not this site! Nice clean comfort station! We also stayed at site 240 which is really nice and private site so I would definitely recommend it! Enjoy some camping with your family at Bon Echo!

12  Thank ResumeWriter
"fire pit"
in 8 reviews
"camp sites are"

Reviewed July 26, 2012

If you enjoy camping this is the place. The washrooms are clean, the camp sites are clean, the cliff is amazing the swimming boating and boat tours are amazing as well. I camp at this park at least 3 times a season in the RADIO FREE ZONE so it is a relaxing and worth the 1.5 hour drive from my place

1  Thank gowaytraveler
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was my first trip to Bon Echo and I was there with several friends and had a chance to experience several camp sites and enjoy most of the activities. Overall, it was an excellent experience and this is one park I can't wait to return to.

Pros: Camp sites are relatively private, even the ones where the reservation said privacy was poor. Sites were also quite clean. We were there on a fully booked weekend and there was no noise after 11pm. Several nice trails for any level and various programming for everyone to help experience the park. Canoe rentals available - it is run by a private company though and did not look as polished as the services offered by the Park. Main beach is nice and there are other beaches available if you have dogs or want some place with more privacy. Comfort stations were some of the nicest I've seen in the provincial park system and were kept quite clean.

Cons: No on-site store, or at least not one that sells camp supplies, just souvenirs. Pick up what you need (like ice) before you get in the park. No cell service, but then again, you are there to get away from it all, right??? Expect to book way in advance or hope for a cancellation - this park deserves to be popular.

9  Thank Bigdaddy316
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our most recent trip to Bon Echo was for a few nights of camping with two other families. There is significant variety in the size of campsites and ours (#68) certainly wasn't the best for having three tents, so if you're going to try it on the cheap I recommend you do what you can to find one of the more spacious sites. The place was full for our weekend, with about a zillion kids running about, which was lovely, and a handful of late-night screaming teenagers (not so lovely, but they weren't unbearable either... I can't be too hard on them). There is a less popular 'other half' of the campground on the other side of the highway, so your chances for privacy are better if you move further away from the water.

The bugs weren't too bad, but we are in the middle of a heat wave of sorts so I'm sure the place is typical of the rest of Ontario in that regard. The bathrooms and other comfort facilities are pleasant and clean. They do keep the shower water somewhat hotter than they should, but no doubt there would be complaints if they were to turn it down.

Only sour note was with the canoe rentals. As I was getting ready to enquire about a rental I overheard the poor lady ahead of me who was being told that because she was 15 minutes late on her 4 hour rentals (they had three canoes) she would have to pay for an additional hour (an extra $30) - this would be acceptable except that an upgrade to an eight hour rental should only cost an extra $15. (I hope that makes sense: 1h = $10, 4h = $20, 8h = $25) Obviously the 'policy' is really dumb, I can only guess that the girl in charge of canoe rentals had no idea what she was doing and was wrong. I also would have put up more of a fight than the poor lady! Anyway, it turned me so off of the canoes that I never bothered renting one. That'll show them!

Nevertheless, the place is a gem. We will go again, but I also think we're due to try out a new place.

3  Thank Matt_Vee