“Lovely pub, surroundings & food - TERRIBLE service”
Review of The Lion

The Lion
Ranked #3 of 3 Restaurants in Farningham
Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Lion in Farningham is a country pub & restaurant oozing rural charm and rustic character. Our picturesque surroundings provide the perfect backdrop for savouring the hearty, seasonal pub-food on our menu, and the carefully nurtured cask ales and fine wines gracing our bar.
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

It's the 2nd time we have visited this pub, and the first was exactly the same as this time!
It was a sunny Sunday when we visited but as a manager myself I know how vital it is to watch the weather reports and staff accordingly, and as this is 2nd time with the same problem I really can't make excuses for them.
We had to clear stuff off a table to sit down, we had to wait a while at the bar to be served, we were then told it would be 1hr30 mins for food. I used a voucher I was sent online and it caused absolute chaos. The cashier had to get the manager and it took about 15 minutes for him to do it, neither of them really spoke to me during this wait, let alone informing the rest of the people waiting to be served what was going on. There was only 1 person serving at first aswell but after 10 minutes someone else appeared and served but this manager had no concern for service, speed or quality of it. And then he dissappeared again. Like it was not his problem.
The cashier offered minimal service, no pleasantries or smiles.
I asked for a receipt (after watching the shambles of trying to place the order I wanted to make sure everything was right) and that took another 5-10minutes, it wouldn't let her print it and someone else from the Dishwash had a go. (she had a copy in her hand but the manager wanted it, I guess because of the discount, so eventually she went to the manager and came back and gave me the receipt)
Our food came quite quickly however but when he brought it out he just said our table number and cos it was so much quicker than they said and didn't look like we expected we said no it can't be ours, they insisted it was our table number and eventually he said what it was and we realised it was ours. I suggest the servers say what the dishes are when they bring them to the table, how else are we to know who the plates belongs to?
Anyway the bad service continued when we wanted to order pudding and we had to go ask where if was after 30 mins (and people that ordered after us got there mains.) it then appeared quickly.
It's just such a shame that such a georgous pub with such lovely surroundings and amazing food is soo poorly staffed and obviously badly managed.
I would return however in hope the staffing issues would be resolved but if ur in a rush don't bother.
Ps. they did have a board asking for people to apply for jobs, so hopefully it won't be so bad soon but I do doubt it is just due to staff as NONE of the staff we interacted with showed good customer service.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

This is a beautiful setting, we visited on a sunny day and day outside directly next to the river. We were lucky as we got there about 12:45 and got a seat and table easily but it soon became very busy. The food was good value and very enjoyable. We all had sandwiches which were wholesome portions served with lovely chips. The rest of the menu looked good and the prices were very reasonable. The staff were very welcoming and friendly. Highly recommended.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Went for a late lunch today and arrived around 2.30pm. It was a lovely spring day so the pub was very busy. We weren't sure if we had to go inside to order food or if someone would come to the table as we were sat outside. We waited a while and there was no sign of anyone taking orders so went inside to que up at the bar. We waited over 1.5hours for the food to arrive and when we asked where it was afer waiting over an hour I was told someone was supposed to tell me they had run out of what I had orderd. If We hadn't asked I would never have known! So had to re-order and waited a further 10mins for the food to come and the waitder forgot my friend's food. Once that eventually came I was rather miffed so asked for a refund. My order was refunded but not my friend's. By this time i was starving a annoyed so couldn;t be bothered to complain anymore. It's a shame because it is a lovely pub and the food is very good but I think they just couldn't cope with the number of people there, as there was only 1 person bringing out food and clearing tables. I wonder how many chefs were in the kitchen?!

1  Thank keri1982
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Delightfull pub along the the river with plenty seating outside in the summer, have visited this pub on many occasions and have always enjoyed the food and beer.

1  Thank Jools010990
Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Food was amazing, great service manager took time out to speak to us. Very enjoyable night. See you soon.