“weekend break” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stoke Rochford
Benfleet, United Kingdom
“weekend break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

The main Victorian House was beautiful , set in wonderful grounds. We were in the woodland lodge which was comfortable but a bit tired. The shower screen could do with replacing and there was some grout missing in the floor tiles. On the plus side the towels were thick and fluffy, the bed was comfortable and plenty of tea and coffee. The breakfast was very nice with plenty of choice. Nice touch that the eggs were freshly fried, poached or boiled as required. We had a light dinner in the Bistro bar on comming back from Lincoln Christmas Market and My husband and I just wanted some soup, which was not on the menue,but the staff asked the kitchen if they could do some for us - which they kindly did. The whole of the staff are very helpful and friendly. We walked around some of the grounds which are well kept, then went into the main reception area to have coffee by the huge fireplace. The Hall has been renovated since a fire in 2005 and wow it is so beautiful from the ornate ceilings to the panelled walls with the fantastic fireplaces. Would definately stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and we were all delighted to read how much you enjoyed your visit to Stoke Rochford Hall. I was particularly pleased to see that our Bistro team went out of their way to help with your special request, as we pride ourselves on our ability to be flexible and help our guests wherever possible.

From all the team at Stoke Rochford Hall, thank you for your kind comments and we look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in the area.

Best regards,

Barry Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (441)
Grimsby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

My wedding was held at Stoke Rochford Hall on 23rd November 2013 and it was wonderful. All the guests loved the setting they were blown away. The staff were brilliant and it all ran smoothly. The bridal suite was great a large and airy room, all the other rooms in the mansion were good, some of the guests stayed in the courtyard, they told me the rooms were basic but clean, not many of them slept as the beds were uncomfortable. I cannot wait to return for our 1st wedding anniversary and be blown away again by this magical place.

Room Tip: If you stay here spend a bit extra for a mansion room you wont be disappointed.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for your positive review. it is always a pleaseure to know that we have been able to make your special day such a memorable occasion. From all the team at Stoke Rochford Hall, our sincere congratulations to you both, thank you for your kind words and we too look forward to welcoming you beck on your 1st anniversary and for many more after.

General manager
Ely, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

Had to come and stay here for the 2nd time just so that we could indulge in a rather nice Sunday lunch and enjoy a bottle of wine. We booked to arrive Sunday lunchtime to enjoy the afternoon with a late lunch and a stroll around the grounds. We were seated in the library, not the best table in the room, but nice views and a nice setting being in the library. The service was good, the staff friendly and the food also good. The menu was quite varied, and some welcome favourites to choose from. It would have been preferable to have been less rushed in the restaurant with more time between courses.
We retired from the library and enjoyed our coffee in the rather large hall. That room would certainly be much more comfortable with some better lighting. The fire place is a huge attraction.
Our bedroom was in the stable block, again we were lucky to get a nice one, with good facilities.
Some people have issues with some of the rooms being outside of the main block. Really? For the price that we paid for B&B, we certainly feel that we get value here. We could pay so much more for a huge room with beautiful facilities and a massive bathroom (I have had the tour), in the main hotel. But I have stayed here twice now, I am very fussy, and I have not had a problem with our bedroom, its cleanliness or its facilities. I certainly do not mind the little walk to the main building, and if it rains, I use an umbrella.
The evening, we spent in the bar after having had our long walk. There had been a wedding the night before our arrival, and there was no beer (ale) or cider and some wines were not available. Not a problem, but rather odd for such a large facility.
The breakfast was great, and the improvement from my 1st visit on the tea offering was much appreciated. I asked for a pot of tea to be served at my table which I got with a smile, as the pre made over brewed stuff on my last visit was repulsive.
Overall, my Sunday lunch was really good and I can see why reservations are needed and the restaurant is so busy. My room was good value, and the rate I paid included a really good breakfast.
Am looking forward to returning some time in the spring for another well priced getaway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your return visit just as much as previously. It truley is such a boost to all the team to receive such positive comments and to know that our efforts have been appreciated.

It is always frustrating when we run out of a particular item on the bar and I have reviewed our ordering levels with the team to try to avoid this in future. Thanks also for mentioning the fresh served tea at breakfast, which has been introduced in responce to customer requests. I am a great beleiver that the little details count, so i'm delighted that you have found this change for the better.

Thanks again for your positive comments and we look forward to welcoming you back in the springtime for another relaxiing & enjoyable stay.

Best regards,

Norwich, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

Great setting spoiled by horrible conference centre in main drive. The main house looks wonderful, however we found our rooms were not located there.
Acc. in the stable block was poor for the following reasons, miserable approach, poor lighting in the room made it dull and miserable, the room also had cheap fittings. Only one soap supplied and enough coffee to make one cup each, how mean is that?
To get from the stable block to the main hall, you had to brave the elements as there was no cover.
The food was ok and the staff were good considering they were mostly young students.
Plus point, hotel was a few minutes from A1.

Room Tip: I believe main hall is better but expensive
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richard G
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time & trouble to post your review following your recent visit to Stoke Rochford Hall. I was sorry to read that you were not completely satisfied with your stay.

I note that you were dissapointed with your accommodation in the Old Stables Courtyard and clearly found the location away from the impresive Grade 1 listed Mansion House a dissapointment. We strive to be painfully open & transparent in our bedroom desrciption both on our own website and on the many third party websites who represent us, or in the case of your group party, when organisers come to visit & survey our premises when making group arrangements. There is a distinct difference in size, decor and facilities available between our Economy, Standard and Mansion Suite bedrooms which is reflected in descriptions and tariffs charged. I am pleased to read that you found the Mansion House impresive and would encourage you to enjoy the extra comfort, space & traditional features offered by one of these rooms next time you visit.

I fully appreciate that, particulalry in these winter months, it can be a little inconvenient to have to step outside to reach the restaurant & lounge facilities within the main hall. I trust you will understand that when entrusted with the guardianship of a historically important, grade 1 listed building, we are extremely restricted in making any structural changes such as errecting external walkways. Whilst a little invonvenient in inclement weather, this is never the less the charm and charachter of such a grand old building as Stoke Rochford Hall.

On a positive, thank you for mentioning our team, some of whom are indeed young, but never the less committed to ensuring that all out guests enjoy the warm hospitatliy and great service which Stoke Rochfrod has become renowned for.

Travelers are raving about these Stoke Rochford hotels

Bedford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We recently stayed here with a wedding party. The setting is wonderful. The building is beautiful and the comfortable seating areas dotted around the main building are lovely, especially when next to a roaring fire.

However, our rooms were a disappointment. Situated in the stable block, we booked two small doubles: one room was a reasonable size with good sized en suite (room 9), the other very small with an over-compact toilet & shower cubicle with sliding door (room 10). My husband and I slept in room 10, which had only been half-cleaned with the bin left full of waste and the carpet not vacuumed. Being late to our room, we were too tired to complain - we just checked the bedding was fresh and got in!

Unfortunately, the bed was a bit squeaky which disturbed our sleep whenever we moved. It rained heavily in the night, but water seemed to bypass any gutters/downpipes and fell straight onto the path outside, again disturbing our sleep. Room 10 was also at the very end of the corridor facing in towards the corridor itself, so when the entrance door was opened at the other end it rattled our door too. Overall, an extremely disturbed night! The next morning, we noticed the wall behind the bed was very wet, so some maintenance is probably required.

I was looking forward to the food. I wish I could say that the wedding meal was more than average, but sadly not. Starters were interesting, but not well executed. Although the main course meat was well cooked and tender, the potatoes were tough and the range of vegetables petered out as it was served around the table, rather than being replenished to serve everyone with a good selection, and two of us never did receive the sauce for our Supreme of Chicken. The next morning though, we all enjoyed a tasty full English breakfast, which included the not-so-often-seen black pudding. The tea was pre-brewed, which wasn't to everyone's taste and teabags and water would have been better; coffee was good though. We still enjoyed our stay as we were there primarily for the wedding, but we wouldn't return to the hotel on our own.

Room Tip: Avoid the stable block, especially if it's raining!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Thank you for taking the trouble to post your review. First & foremost, I was sorry to read that you were dissapointed with some aspects of your recent stay. I have read your comments with interest and some concern; most certainly the shortcomings in the housekeeping service you encountered are inexcusable and I am sincerely sorry for this. Since recently arriving at Stoke Rochford Hall as the new General Manager, one of my first initiatives has been a restructuring of our housekeeping department, with improving attention to detail being our top priority.

I completely understand your dissapointment with the size of room 10. With our small double rooms, we aim to be painfully honest and transparent with them - they are indeed small by modern standards. However, when dealing with a historic grade 1 listed building such as this, we are very restricted when it comes to making internal changes to enlarge rooms, hence we strive to be painfully honest when marketing these rooms.

I'm sure you will also be pleased to hear that a number of changes are beng made to our restaurant & catering operations. Out has gone the tea flasks and as our customers have requested, we now serve individual pots of freshly brewed tea & coffee at breafast. Similarly, our exciting new a la carte restaurant menu has just launched in the last few days and from the initial feedback from diners, it's proving to be very popular.

Never the less, i do appreciate you were dissapinted with some aspects of your stay. I sincerely do welcome and value all guest feedback, both the good and the bad, so thank you for bringing your experience to my attention. I do hope, never the less, that you will consider returning to sample some of the many changes I have planned and if doing so, please let me know personally and i'll do what I can to ensure you have one of our individually styled mansion suites when you do.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

My new husband and I held our wedding at Stoke Rochford Hall last month, and I would thoroughly recommend it as a wedding venue . The staff are fantastic at managing weddings - Stuart and Jo in particular are experts at what they do. Every detail was taken care of so that I didn't have to stress over anything. We have had so many comments on the delicious food, the outstanding beauty of the place itself and the gardens, and the organisation. Everything ran like clockwork, other than a couple of stained dresses from spillages by the waitresses! The only niggle I would say, which only became apparent after the professional photographs arrived, was that the windows of the Orangery were very dirty on the day of our wedding, which really ruined a few of the photos, as they were so obviously marked.

Many of the guests stayed at the hotel and were very happy with the rooms, as they are large and comfortable. As the bride, I stayed in a Mansion room the night before the wedding, and was in a huge room, perfect for myself and all of the bridesmaids to get ready in the next morning. Unfortunately it was located immediately above the disco of the previous days wedding, which led to a very sleepless night due to the noise, and a very tired bride! Also, I tried to call reception to ask about breakfast room service, but gave up after 6 attempts and no answer. Breakfast however was very good in the restaurant.

We have wonderful memories of our wedding at Stoke Rochford Hall, and the photos are amazing - most of them!

Small tip - could the bridal suited please have a hook high enough to hold a wedding gown? We had to risk bringing down a light fitting to hang my dress up!

Room Tip: If there is a wedding taking place, avoid any room overlooking the Orangery! You can hear every wor...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Barry1972, General Manager at Stoke Rochford Hall, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and I was delighted to read that we were able to make your wedding day a memorable occasion for all the right reasons. It is always a great pleasure to be able to share such positive feedback with all the team and rest assured, it really boosts morale to know our efforts have been appreciated.

I note your couple of critical comments and thank you for the frank & honest feedback which always helps us to prioritise our forward plans.

From all the team at Stoke Rochford, our warmest congratulations to you both and we look forward to helping you celebrate many happy anniversarys over the years to come

Northampton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Firstly I hope you will read this review in full,

After finding this hotel online and extensively viewing room facilities, photos on the Hotels website, we decided to book for one night 19/10/2013. The main house is spectacular, a fine Victorian stately home, breath taking main hall with huge open fire. unfortunately everything went down hill from there.

We were given our room and told we were not staying in the main house but in the courtyard, our room was not up to our expectations, the £110 per night full price tag or up to the impression given by the room photos online. The room had clearly not been updated since the 1980's mould around the bath, ingrained dirt in the carpets, only one small sky light window and a hole in ceiling where the door kept hitting the pitch. We then decided to walk across to the 1960’s Leisure centre building this was unbelievably out-dated and again the ingrained dirt, filthy looking Jacuzzi and badly ventilated swimming pool (A Chlorine mist hanging in the air) made it impossible to spend any time there.

We reported our dissatisfaction to reception, ask for a refund and immediately checked out. The receptionist was very understanding and gave us the full refund. The first time we have ever had to do this in all our years of hotel and holiday stays.

There are many positives to this place, the main house is spectacular, there was a young couple getting married and I'm sure they had a great experience. We found all staff amazingly friendly, you felt they knew how bad certain aspects were and wanted to do what they could for you. Also it is under new management and seeing that the manager has responded to every review on here whether good or bad, you feel they are all trying to do there best, but are let down by the infrastructure and lack of money.

We hope that in the future hotel facilities can be brought up to a standard that the staff can be proud of and guests £110 deserve.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Carlvega
Thank you for your balanced & constructive comments. Naturally I am dissapointed that we were not able to meet your expectations and sorry that you were in any way dissapointed with your visit to Stoke Rochford Hall.

I have taken some time to fully investigate the history of your booking before resopnding to your review. I note your reservation for a Standard Double Room from one of the major website booking services and have also taken time to once again review our room descriptions and content on that particular website, which does clearly attempt to differentiate between the economy, standard & mansion rooms we have available. Indeed, each room type has specific room images which realistically portray the room being booked. We strive to be painfully honest in our room descriptions as an Economy room is by no means the same as one of our Mansion suites.I must also note that the rate booked was £95 and not £110 as referenced in your review.

I can fully understand your comments relating to our swimming pool & gym, which is by no means a modern facility to contemporary standards. Our gym has benefitted from a significant investment in state of the art equipment within the past 18 months, but I would be the first to agree that our pool has seen many years of service. redevelopment of this area is high on our list of priorities, but it would be wrong of me to suggest that this is likely to take place within the foreseeable future. Being a covered & heated outdoor swimming pool, I trust you can appreciate the difficulties this presents in managing the climate within the pool area throughout the autumn & winter months, which inevitably leads to a natural water vapour mist forming above the warm pool water, particularly into late afternoon & evening. Whilst a little offputting admitedly, this is most certainly not a cloud of chlorine gas as you mention in your review.

Never the less, you were clearly dissapointed with you stay and I am genunely sorry for this. I very much appreciate your supportive comments and rest assured that over the coming months & years, we have significant plans to continue redeveloping & further improving this beautiful grade 1 listed building. I do hope that you may consider returning at some time in the future and I would certailnly make every effort to ensure you were able to enjoy one of our mansion suites at such a time. Sadly, these were all occupied at the time of your stay and I fully appreciate that you may well have then been dissapointed with the Standard Double room which was booked.

Thank you again for your frank, honest & constructive feedback which we greatly appreciate.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Stoke Rochford
Premier Inn Grantham Hotel
Stapleford Park
Stapleford Park
#1 of 1 in Stapleford

Been to Stoke Rochford Hall? Share your experiences!