“A journey through time”

Flanders Battlefield Tours
Reviewed March 18, 2013

I booked a tour with Jacques and Genevra and they were so helpful in ensuring that arrangements were made and advice on where to stay.

My husband Max and his two firends Johnny and Andy, enjoyed and were amazed at the knowledge Jacques had relating to Johnny's grandfather and the areas he fought in and around.

They still talk about the experience and how much it meant to all of them. Now six months later it still rates as one of the best experiences on our European holiday.

A special thank you to Jacques and Genevra on ensuring that the history of the area is told in a context which means much to the families of those who fought in these battlefields.

1  Thank Shaz1000

Reviewed March 17, 2013

There were six of us on the North Salient tour, which made for a nice group that moved along at a good pace. Philip was a very knowledgeable guide and was able to answer all our questions. In addition to the usual stops, he pointed out some real munitions that had appeared on the surface of a farmer's field and made a special stop at St. Julien to accommodate we Canadians. The Hill 62 museum at the end is rather gruesome, both in terms of what is displayed and that someone would want to keep some of these morbid artifacts. It's bizarrely comforting to know that North Americans are not the only ones who put together odd private museums. I have my doubts about how authentic the trenches are, but the shell craters partially filled with water and covered by a film of ice looked pretty real, and provided a good sense of what soldiers must have faced a hundred years ago. The tour is definitely worth the price.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

My father and I spent two excellent days with Jacques visiting the Somme and Ypres areas, touring on a private rather than a group basis. Jacques' knowledge of World War I is outstanding - he has spent his life studying the period enabling him to bring to life complicated military strategy with great ease whilst peppering every account with individual stories from the many veterans he had the privilege of meeting as curator of Talbot House. He has an absolute wealth of understanding and will pass on as much as possible - I wanted to see and hear as much as possible in the time we had, and Jacques definitely went above and beyond to deliver that.

I cannot speak highly enough of Jacques and Gen, in executing an excellent and unforgettable trip; I would highly recommend them for an informative and lively trip back to the Western Front. If necessary they are worth planning your trip around!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I highly recommend this tour as an unforgettable introduction to WWI battlefields. Gen brought the soldiers' stories to life through evident passion for detail and extensive research. This tour is packed with maps, photos, quotes all delivered with passion, dignity and the respect the material deserves. She made specific reference to Australian fallen soldiers in Tyne Cot, which made the visit even more poignant for me. I did the Grand Tour of the north salient, but time permitting, I would happily hop onto any of Gen's other tours also.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I would recommend Battlefield Tours. They are friendly, informative and reasonably priced for tours.

3  Thank chelseablue-11