“Great table staff, very poor management”
Review of De Kollebloeme

De Kollebloeme
Ranked #18 of 129 Restaurants in Ieper (Ypres)
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We were a table of eight who were staying in Ypres for one night whilst visiting Menen Gate and the surrounding war memorials.

The waitresses were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. Unfortunately our waitress knocked a full bottle of red wine all over me! It was an accident and she apologised profusely, which I accepted in good humour. Once I had mopped up the damage I asked whether the bottle would be replaced with a new one as a gesture of goodwill (and after all it was a full bottle that was spilt!)

The waitress spoke to the manager (the owner's son) and she was told that any replacement bottle would have to come out of her pay. Obviously this was not on since it was clearly an accident, and the waitresses survive on meagre wages as it is.

I spoke directly to the manager who then offered to cover the cost of dry cleaning my shirt and trousers. However he knew full well that we were leaving the following morning, so there was no way I would be able to get my clothes cleaned and pass him the invoice for payment.

I even told him that I would leave a review on tripadvisor stating my disappointment, yet he just smirked and carried on joking with the cleaner who was sitting next to him.

I do hope that the young man's father reads this review and teaches his son one of the basic rules of business - customers' pay for his lifestyle...

Food was ok and was standard tourist price. Restaurant was clean, modern and well lit.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Friendly staff and good food, what more could you ask for, they even gave me the receipt for their Flemish Stew, which I recommend

Reviewed June 13, 2013

Kris from hotel Regina across the square recommended we try the restaurant and it was excellent. We had a main course and a beer for €40 which was good. The food and service was great. (Thx Emeline)

Reviewed June 10, 2013

This is not the cheapest place to eat, but is worth the money. We dined here on our second night in Ieper, having looked at numerous menus on the square. The lamb chops dish tempted one of our group of four and I was drawn to the Angus Rib-eye. These two dishes plus two lasagne and four drinks came to 83euros. Both the chops and steak were cooked to our preference of "well done", something which is not always achieved without ruining the meat, so I was very pleased with the steak which was tender but cooked right through. The restaurant was very clean and very pleasant with attentive staff. We saw a number of dishes being delivered to nearby tables and all looked inviting and substantial. Will we go back again? Yes, so that I can increase my waistline further with the chops.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This restaurant is great. From the contemporary decor to an exquisite meal everything was perfect.

Staff most friendly and efficient.

We went back two days later ( a week day ) but the restaurant was closed. So disappointing but we found this was the case in several places that we wished to return to.

Certainly a gourmet highlight.