“Very friendly staff, good location, but cheaper rates = cheaper rooms”

Best Western Flanders Lodge
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Ieper (Ypres)
Reviewed July 27, 2012

My husband and I and my parents and their grandson wanted to visit the recently renovated In Flanders Fields museum (RECOMMENDED!) in Ieper, and take a tour to the nearby trenches and battlefields of WW1 and attend the Last Post ceremony under the Menin gate (which is held every evening at 8 pm. sharp ).
The Best Western Flanders Lodge is located +/- 2 km = 5 minutes away by car from the Menin gate, and lies in a quiet industrial district. The staff of the hotel is very friendly in explaining how to get there.

We booked two rooms in this hotel on a promotional rate offered by a magazine.
Upon check in we were given a double and a triple room in a timbercovered corridor in the basement, which proved to be on the groundlevel of the garden.

This extension of the hotel seems to be reserved for schoolgroups and people on a promotional rate. The rooms were nice enough and clean, but lacked the minifridges which were reported on the website of the hotel to be in each room .
When we asked the staff about them, they explained that the fridges were being replaced, and they gave us us a bucket full of ice cubes to cool our drinks with.

At the time we stayed there, there was a group of British schoolchildren staying there too.
We were afraid that we wouldn't get too much sleep, but the rooms were soundproof.

The matresses and pillows of the beds were good.
The bathroom was OK, except for a missing cover around the electric plughole. As it looked as if the room had been recently renovated, this was maybe a detail that would be fixed soon.
There were no bathroom amenities, just a big soap- and shampoo dispenser on the wall.

Breakfast was in a nice verandalike room, and individual guests and schoolgroups were kept apart. There was a reasonable choice of breakfast items.

All in all we had a good stay here. The reason why I only rate this hotel as "average", is because of the missing fridge, lack of amenities and uncovered plughole, which one doesn't expect of a 3-star hotel. The other rooms on the higher levels of the hotel were definitively of a better quality, and probably fully equipped, so it's probably just a question of rates.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 20, 2012

Stayed here for three nights with a school group. A perfect place: ten minutes from the menin gate, great food, very clean, and the staff are very friendly. Wifi for the kids, plus table tennis etc. The staff even agreed to set us up a tv to watch the euro finals. The staff could not have been more helpful. If you are a teacher considering whether to book this, ignore the comments from 13 year olds (who are never happy) and listen to an actual teacher, who says that in 8 years of running this trip, this is the best school hotel in the area. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank shandley
Reviewed June 17, 2012

I was part of a gang of 7 guys who recently visited Flanders Lodge. We were on a tour of Belgium Battlefields and war graves in the surrounding areas. All of our party were very pleased with the quality of the hotel.The rooms were spotless, laundry and bedding was also as fresh as a daisy. We arrived in the evening, so a beer was our first port of call. Again the bar staff were very accomadating, particuarly the boss, Keith. One of our party asked Keith where he could find a specialist bottle of wine to take home for his wife. Keith told him he would get one for him before our departure. Sure enough, it was there behind the bar, on our last evening. During our four night stay we used a local taxi guy, as the center was a good 20mins walk away. On our last night we couldnt get in touch with our taxi and was stuck in the center. A quick call to Flanders Lodge to see if they could try and get in touch with him and we were met with an astounding response... Keith said he was on his way!!! Unable to take 7 guys, the youngest were prepared to walk.."No stay there..I will be back" What a bloke!!! All back at the Hotel, Keith was back behind the bar delivering our nightcap, laughing and joking with us..Our stay here was a memorable one thanks to Keth and Marlene..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank MankiniMan
Reviewed June 16, 2012

I have recently had a weeks stay at Flanders Lodge whilst on a battlefield tour with Ledger Holidays. I read some reviews on the Hotel before I went away, and was not really looking forward to my stay, as some reviews were not good......However I'm pleased to say they were wrong this Place is great.
The staff were great. Really friendly and helpful.
The rooms were modern, clean and tidy, with fresh towels and rooms cleaned daily.
The hotel manager even picked us up from Ypres in his own car when we could not get a taxi ride home!!!!
The hotel was only about 1 mile from Ypres centre which was approx 20 minutes walk.
The breakfast was nice with a good choice, either cereal, fruit, cakes, or full breakfast, or all of them!!!! And a good range of drinks.
Big thankyou to Marleen & Roger for all their help on my stay at their hotel.
Superb......5 stars!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I hope I have flagged up the correct hotel-ours was in Menin,some miles from Ieper but that wasn't listed.We were only there for 1 night but would be happy to spend a week or more because the staff were so pleasant-it was such a pleasure to be served by people who were happy to see us after our experience in Holland

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2012

From the first moment I entered, till my check-out I've experienced people who were happy to assist their guests! I felt welcome & appreciated. Whoom very nice!
Room was very tidy with nice bathroom. Bed was great.
Couldn't enjoy breakfast because I woke to late (my fault)
Yes, I would recommend this to everybody who wants to visit Ypres and or Bellewaerde :)

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Having read many reviews of the hotel before coming, myself and my fellow pupils were terrified of what horrific conditions we were going to find upon our arrival. However, when we walked in, it looked very pleasant, with table tennis tables, and leather sofas in reception. We then went to our rooms, were we expected to find bed bugs and mouldy showers, but this was not the case. The sheets were very clean and the mattresses comfortable. There were separate toilet and shower rooms, with sinks in both, which was very practical for a group of six. Both toilet and showers (2 showers per room!!) were also clean. In my room (305), two bunk beds and two single beds were squashed into the room, and we had little other space, but all the other rooms were much more spacious. The food was delicious on both evenings, although the packed lunches were rather lacking, and the veggie option was also of a good standard. We didn't see much of the staff, but when we did they were friendly and helpful. For a school trip, it was of a very good standard!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends