“Amazing”
Review of Main Street Hotel

Main Street Hotel
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ieper (Ypres)
Reviewed June 1, 2012

I'm writing this review from the hotel. This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Forget the pools and the gyms required to earn the 4th star. This is about world class personal service and quirkiness that I can't wait to come back to. Checkin process is a drink in the most beautiful reception room and home made chocolate cakes. My room is amazing as is the bathroom... I'll stop now, suffice to say you have to try it..

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed May 29, 2012

Very stylish. Good bedroom and beautiful bathroom (with its own TV!). Comfortable bed and bedding. Excellent breakfast. Generous extras such as minibar. Only 6 bedrooms, with quite large elegant entrance hall/sitting room. Not quite a full hotel eg no 24hr service, no meals other than breakfast, but seen as a luxurious and stylish bed and breakfast this is pretty well perfect.
Five minutes walk from city square, and 10 minutes to Menin Gate. Easy drive from Calais, surrounded by WW1 sites and 40 minutes to Bruges.
Karin, the owner, is very helpful and welcoming.
Very highly recommended.

Room Tip: The stairs are very steep, so request a ground floor room if you are not very nimble.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 24, 2012

From the moment that we arrived at Main Street Hotel to the time we left everything was just about perfect. Carine is a really good host and a bit of a laugh as well. The rooms were unique. What a lot of time, effort and money has been put into this place. It cost around 140 euros a night but it was worth it. Breakfast was an extra 15 euros a day and was very good. Our room (Glory) had a double size bath with television. The tiling was fantastic (although not our choice of colouor scheme) and high quality. Great attention to detail and quality fixtures and fittings. Although this hotel is not cheap I can say it the first place that I have ever stayed where you had the impression that the owners wanted you to enjoy yourselves rather than make money! From the free drink on arrival to the free mini bar for the duration of our stay (3 days) - restocked every day. I've never heard of that anywhere. If you want something cheaper then there are options. If you want a bit of luxury, just do it!

Room Tip: The top room has no wardrobes and was a bit smaller than the glory room. The church bells at the fro...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 22, 2012

If you could wrap everything that made a great hotel into one perferctly formed package - this would be it. This hotel is the best one I have stayed in, in a very long time.
Small and the definition of the word boutique - the room I sayed in is called wild and it is. The most comfortable bed, beautiful, innivotive and fun room - with deep carpet and fur cushions and a great piece of art on the wall. The bathroom has a deep wide bath with a flat screen TV at the end of it, and a slash proof remote - free minibar and home made choclate mini muffins to die for - I wish I lived here. And the hostess is very welcoming and helpful on top. I can truely recommend this for any traveller who is sick and tierd of bland, faceless hotels

Room Tip: Having spoken to others staying hjere their rooms were of equal fabness - I think the only probelm i...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Superb stay for a battlefield tour, five minutes from the main square. Only 6 rooms, so book early.

There is plenty of free public parking spaces to the left of or behind the church immediately opposite; or you could park in front of the hotel (free of charge between 6pm and 9am).

Wonderful breakfast including Belgian fizz and Popeye eggs! Warmly decorated and well-equipped; if you're a star trekkie you'll love the loos! This place is special.

Thank you Carine for your warm welcome and attentive, helpful service, especially as we were late arrivals.

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are quiet and well appointed with outside table and seating in a sun trap.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2012

What can I say about the Main Street Hotel? It's a delight!
We stayed here for 4 nights from the 23rd April and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
It is quite easy to find, at the far end of the main square (the opposite end to the Menin Gate) down a side road, about a 5 minute walk. There is parking opposite for a limited time only but we parked just behind on the left for free (near a bus stop) in parking spaces where time was unlimited. (I also noticed that the hotel's Land-Rover parks there too).
The hotel reflects the personality of Corine, the owner and hostess who is also a delight, has a fun sense of humour, is warm, making us very welcome and putting us at ease, important when staying in a family run hotel. She often made cakes and put them in the reception room for the guests. She is very helpful and knowlegeable of local information. She gave us a map of good restaurants in Ieper (there are far more than are listed on tripadvisor, so ask her for a map. There is a very good one a very short walk from the hotel at the Lille Gate end of Rijselsestraat which is open weekends only). She runs the hotel (I would say it is more likened to a 'boutique' B & B) with her husband and they do a very fine job.
The decoration of the hotel is superb and the reception lounge is in the 'Arts & Crafts' style, and I felt a need to linger here as it had a lovely ambience and was nice to relax in during the evening. There are lots of nice touches and decorative items on display as well as WW1 books to read and purchase and leaflet information on Ieper and surrounding area.

Our accomodaton, 'Pottery', was on the ground floor and we had our own pretty little terraced garden to sit in (but didn't as the weather was not great) the cast metal gates were very beautifully decorated with birds and we even had some bird seed feeders - a nice touch. I loved the decor, which was very warm, quirky and also practical. The hosts had thought of everything and had supplied a good coffee maker (with unlimited supply of coffee if required), snacks and alcohol/soft drinks from the fridge bar! Excellent idea and we did use this 'facility'..!
We had some little boxes of chocolates on arrival left on our bed. These were very fine and were purchased from the chocolatier, Vandaele, where we later bought a big box.
Our bathroom was luxurious with big walk in shower and a lovely free-standing roll top bath including very nice quality toilettries.
Our bed was of the 'split' type which didn't bother us too much, I just had to now and again push them back together. Also the coffee saucers were in keeping with quaintness as they had a hole in the middle! I made sure I didn't overfill my cup.
Breakfast is truly a very good experience. There is a fine selection on offer to help yourself too and also a choice of hot food from the menu. There are some local cheeses to try and my personal favourite was the divinely tasting rice pudding called 'rice-cream' which Corine makes and it goes perfectly with the home-prepared fruit salad. I still miss it. In fact I miss the Main Street hotel, Corine and Ieper and hope to return as soon as possible.
We had a lovely time here, on this, our fifth visit to Ieper.

There are lots of very good restaurants in Ieper. We dined just up the road at one called De Steenen Haene, also Decouverte, which is very close by, Primus for a good lunch and the excellent Hotel Regina restaurant in the evening, both located in the Market Place. The food and service in all these restaurants was excellent. We also visited an art deco pub called The Times and had a good chat with the owner, Alain, who was a very kind and welcoming host. This pub is well worth a visit.
During our stay we attended the 'Anzac Day' remembrance service at the Menin gate on Wednesday; a very moving and beautiful tribute and afterwards stood silently whilst the wreaths were placed at the Belgian War memorial which is next to the Cloth Hall in the main square.

Room Tip: Our room, Pottery, was on the ground floor and was very quiet indeed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChampagneDoberman
Reviewed April 13, 2012

A beautifully appointed and luxurious small bed and breakfast hotel in the centre of Ypres.
Charming owner - very helpful and keen to make our stay special. Large, comfortable room with many interesting and unusual pieces of furniture and antiques. One of the best breakfasts we've had in many years of travelling. Perfect for couples. Would stay again!

Room Tip: Superior room at the front overlooks the church and garden. Very quiet with occasional bell ring...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple