“Good atmosphere”

Les Halles Marktcafe
Ranked #9 of 127 Restaurants in Ieper (Ypres)
Cuisines: Belgian, Spanish, Cafe
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2013

We generally end up in this pub at the end of the evening as many other places close earlier. It has a good atmosphere and is generally full of a wide variety of people. There's also a very good beer menu and I believe they do food too, although I've never eaten there myself. There is free wifi here too, the code is normally on the tables.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

Popped in for a coffee and wished we had time to stay longer. Really cosy atmosphere overlooking the square, Friendly staff and great service

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We visited one evening during our overnight stay in the beautiful city of Ieper. We were very comfortable in the restaurant and the food was tasty - BUT we made a mistake in ordering as the portions were VERY generous. My husband and I were both really sad not to empty our plates, as the food was beautifully presented and so delicious. I very rarely eat chips - these were exemplary and I had to leave some along with a lot of my main course. We would certainly return.

The beer was delicious too!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Out of season Ieper is quiet and a lot of interesting looking bars and restaurants seemed shut for the duration but happily not Les Halles. So we were glad to eat with them regularly while we were in town. Always lively and busy it was a good choice and would suit most tastes. The food was excellent, the local specialities and burgers well-cooked and delicious. Portions are generous and drinks very reasonably priced.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This little place is awesome.

We arrived to our hotel late on a Monday night in Ypres and this was the only place we could get something to eat. My boyfriend had some sort of cheesy pasta dish and I ordered the steak tartare. Oh my Lordy!! The pasta was in a bowl so big you could bathe in it! and the steak tartare was AMAZING!!!!!! (pictures attached)

They also provide you with free wifi and a little bowl of nuts when you order drinks (which I love... any free food is welcome in my eyes)

I had been here on a previous trip to Ypres with my parents and it was good then, and its still good now!

We also came in just for drinks in the late afternoon and played bananagrams with a couple of beers, which got a few funny looks from the locals. This was nice, as a lot of bars are a bit funny about us taking our game into their pubs and ask us to put it away, but we felt very welcome doing it in Les Halles. One of the bar staff even joked he had a wager on my boyfriend winning the game!

The only trouble was instead of the usually beautiful view of the Cloth Hall across the square, there was a great big ruddy travelling arcade in the Square :(

Lovely place and will be returning on our next trip to Ypres.