“Nice museum full of unusual artefacts”

Hooge Crater museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Full scale reconstructions of war scenes, an extended collection of weapons, war equipment and photos make this museum to a true must-see!The chapel, in which the museum is located, dates back from the early twenties. This chapel was built directly across the Hooge Crater cemetery in memory of the many fallen soldiers on the battle fields of ‘Hooge’ over a period of 4 years. Rare military clothing of the troops, that where fighting in the ‘Ypres Salient’ (Ieperboog) are exposed in glass displays. Also you can see some full scale scenes of the Great War battle fields, very authentically reproduced. The theme of the scenes is very divers: German bunkers, British trenches and full scale horses with cavalry troops on their backs.
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Very reasonably priced museum run by the family that run the cafe - which serves a good open sandwich lunch. Worth a lunchtime visit & a look around. Hooge Grater CWGC Cemetery is opposite - beware the busy, infamous Menin Road, road to get across to it.

1  Thank Caryl1948

Reviewed November 26, 2012

This was the best museum we visited during our stay in Ypres. It's well laid out and really gives a true feel of WW1. Interesting film and displays and very helpful staff. Great cafe with the best coffee. Highly recommend.

1  Thank pabbles
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Just back from a recent visit to Ypres and surrounding district, visited other museums but this one was far and away the best and well laid out of the bunch with the recreation scenes very good and lifelike. The collection of artefacts and weapons are well laid out with explanations and a voice over in different languages comes over a speaker. The cafe is clean with a nice menu and also has a large amount of the trench art shell casings round the walls, and you can also buy genuine souvenirs from the war for the cheapest price i came across.
I would definitely recommend this museum to anyone touring the area for a good experience of the war.

3  Thank Rodjli
Reviewed October 28, 2012

and the long lasting mark the "great " war left on the countryside ..let alone it's people. everything seems so peaceful now , haunting

1  Thank dorisksurrey
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My experience at the Hooge Crater Museum was sadly lacking in any genuine emotion. The museum is crammed with gather artifactsw, but little in the way of explanation, or any tangible sense of what happened (or even that they care). The museum-cafe ("themed") was out of Deliverance with odd locals and silence greeting us going in. The staff were rude, lacked any engagement when asked about the crater or the events nearby... all-in-all I came away disappointed, angry even, that this road-side kaff was selling shrapnel next to the Twix bars, with a local radio station pumping out very odd music indeed.
Go to the lovely graveyard across the road, or 50metres up the road to hotel with their trenches - and forget this privately owned 'museum'.

2  Thank vikitravel
Niek B, Owner at Hooge Crater museum, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Vikitravel,

I was quite dissapointed to read your negative response about your recent visit to my cafe and museum. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is something that I fully respect. What does suprise me is that in the last 4 years since my wife and I took over ownership of the cafe and museum we have never received a negative comment about the museum or cafe. What dissapointed me a lot was your rude reference to the movie "Deliverence" in which you consider my cafe and some of the local patrons to be inbred and backward like those that movie portrays. Many of my local patrons are heavily involved in keeping remembrance of what happened locally here between 1914 and 1918 alive. Some of my patrons are involved in educating the younger generations, raising money to build memorials to the many men who paid the supreme sacrifice and many are those who are silently grateful and will NEVER forget what those men did for us. To liken them to inbred backward people was both rude and uneccessary. Perhaps though, you are just a jelous person who does not like to see a local business get built up and suceed.
My wife and I and our staff are never rude to any of our visitors. There may be times that we are busy with clientel and do not have a lot of time to chat to our patrons, but such is the life of running a busy successful cafe and museum. If you visit again please make yourself known to me so we can disscuss this further.

Best regards,