“To think it was man made”

Hooge Crater museum
More attraction details
Owner description: Full scale reconstructions of war scenes, an extended collection of weapons, war equipment and photos make this museum to a true must-see!The chapel, in which the museum is located, dates back from the early twenties. This chapel was built directly across the Hooge Crater cemetery in memory of the many fallen soldiers on the battle fields of ‘Hooge’ over a period of 4 years. Rare military clothing of the troops, that where fighting in the ‘Ypres Salient’ (Ieperboog) are exposed in glass displays. Also you can see some full scale scenes of the Great War battle fields, very authentically reproduced. The theme of the scenes is very divers: German bunkers, British trenches and full scale horses with cavalry troops on their backs.
Surrey
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“To think it was man made”
Reviewed October 28, 2012

and the long lasting mark the "great " war left on the countryside ..let alone it's people. everything seems so peaceful now , haunting

1 Thank dorisksurrey

Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Did I visit the same place?”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My experience at the Hooge Crater Museum was sadly lacking in any genuine emotion. The museum is crammed with gather artifactsw, but little in the way of explanation, or any tangible sense of what happened (or even that they care). The museum-cafe ("themed") was out of Deliverance with odd locals and silence greeting us going in. The staff were rude, lacked any engagement when asked about the crater or the events nearby... all-in-all I came away disappointed, angry even, that this road-side kaff was selling shrapnel next to the Twix bars, with a local radio station pumping out very odd music indeed.
Go to the lovely graveyard across the road, or 50metres up the road to hotel with their trenches - and forget this privately owned 'museum'.

2 Thank vikitravel
Niek B, Owner at Hooge Crater museum, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Vikitravel,

I was quite dissapointed to read your negative response about your recent visit to my cafe and museum. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is something that I fully respect. What does suprise me is that in the last 4 years since my wife and I took over ownership of the cafe and museum we have never received a negative comment about the museum or cafe. What dissapointed me a lot was your rude reference to the movie "Deliverence" in which you consider my cafe and some of the local patrons to be inbred and backward like those that movie portrays. Many of my local patrons are heavily involved in keeping remembrance of what happened locally here between 1914 and 1918 alive. Some of my patrons are involved in educating the younger generations, raising money to build memorials to the many men who paid the supreme sacrifice and many are those who are silently grateful and will NEVER forget what those men did for us. To liken them to inbred backward people was both rude and uneccessary. Perhaps though, you are just a jelous person who does not like to see a local business get built up and suceed.
My wife and I and our staff are never rude to any of our visitors. There may be times that we are busy with clientel and do not have a lot of time to chat to our patrons, but such is the life of running a busy successful cafe and museum. If you visit again please make yourself known to me so we can disscuss this further.

Best regards,

Niek
London, United Kingdom
76 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Best Museum”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Have to say I have been taking individuals and groups to this museum for a number of years and it just gets better. Nick is putting in a lot of effort for 2014 and he and hsi lovely wife deserve to succeed.

UK
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed October 5, 2012

The museum is small but interesting and there is a Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery of the same name across the road.

Visited September 2012
Perth, Australia
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Very interesting collection”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

The collection and displays at the Museum Hooge Crate are well worth the stop on Menin road. A wide variety of uniforms, equipment, munitions and general WW1 material is quite good. The E10 entrance fee includes a sandwich and drink for lunch.

Visited September 2012