“Half and half”

Book In Advance
More Info
$197.76*
and up
Private Tour: WWI Canadian Battlefields Including Thiepval Memorial...
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We visited this museum as part of our battlefield tour.the trenches outside are realistic,the bomb craters and various items outside make it worth the visit to appreciate what the soldier went through.parts of the inside museum are good and relevant,but some items are not W.W 1 related and look so out of place.worth visit for trenches alone but saying that I wouldn't go out of my way to see it.The Hooge museum better,see other review.

3  Thank Gracie42

Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

Spent the day doing the sights from German military cemetery Tyne cot and Boezinge. Then went to Sanctuary hill. I don't mind paying but up to that moment the only money I had spent was at the ladies room at Tyne cot. So the chap took our 30 euros and we entered a room that smelt of cat wee- it completely stunk and was so cluttered. There is a lack of information telling you what is what. I went to support my husband and son and felt completely bored as didn't know what the hell was what. The manikins wearing uniforms ranged from a German with lipstick to an officer with a strange smile and eye lashes- it was a joke- by this time I was ready to leave., but my husband insisted we look outside. The trenches ! Yes they are there as is a very big issue with health and safety, you are expected to walk over rotted and rusted iron corrugated sheets. In the trenches rusted edges protrude everywhere and I appreciate that this is the effect and reality of what our men suffered but small children were wandering around! Should the reality be restricted to a view area and a safe area be opened and the children can experience the confinement in a controlled environment. At 10 euros a head I feel a little investment is definitely needed immediately. Was a rip off complete let down. Won't return won't recommend and will tell everyone my thoughts. Would appear from all these reviews the owners don't care. Don't risk going unless u like cat pee and dead flowers which were also on the tables !!!! My visit March 29th 2013

5  Thank Lizi999
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is a very strange place. The first person you meet is a scruffy fat guy sat in a big chair who takes your 10 euro. Not a good first impression. The meseum is clutered, dirty and smells of cat urine. There is lots of interesting stuff to see but it is laid out poorly and there is no real information or structure. The trenches are left they say as realistic as possible but you get the feeling when you see the piles of rubbish lying around that this is an excuse for the owners being lazy.There is no information of any sort about the trenches which is very disapointing as this is the main purpose of the visit. We thought that it would be a good tea stop but after visiting we decided that this was the last place we would eat or drink.

2  Thank DDFarnham
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We were taken to Hill 62/ Sanctuary Wood as the final stop on an otherwise brilliant organised tour.
The entrance fee was included.
There are lots of artifacts but they are displayed in an haphazard way without any supporting information.
We were assured that the trenches were genuine but no effort had been made to improve them except a few sheets of corrugated metal to stop the side collapsing.
We reluctantly had a warm drink as it was a cold day but I don't think several cats climbing over every surface was very hygenic.

2  Thank lowvalleyred
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This place has gotten mixed reviews from many people and I can see why. I’ll try to be objective. It might help to state that I am the director of a fair sized military aviation museum and have worked with small museums with limited budgets for many years. The collection itself is worthy of a world-class museum, the condition and exhibit of the collection is horrible. This is a private collection put on display, not really worthy of being called a museum. But I’d still highly recommend it to anyone with any interest in WW I history because they have great “stuff”, and the trenches exist in few other places.

Inside there was one display case of that had over two dozen of the German “Pickelhaube” leather helmets displayed by sitting them on top of empty artillery shells. Really bad for fragile artifacts. There are numerous machine guns with no obvious security measures save a plastic chain in front of them. There are no signs to explain to an average visitor what they are seeing. The whole site is on a family owned plot and there were about seven buses there while I visited so cash flow is not the problem.

Outside there are a thousand artillery projectiles stacked and strewn around rusting away. I saw some rare field mortars that are turning to iron oxide, no effort to preserve them. Speaking of preservation, the trenches are no doubt real but I believe they have been “improved” over the years with new steel posts and wooden float boards. That is not a bad thing but ethical museums try to note things like that.

It is definitely worth your time and money to visit but one of the lessons you might learn is what happens if unqualified or disinterested people destroy very relevant historical artifacts.

4  Thank Planemeister