“Odd place but I was really pleased we went”
Review of Sanctuary Wood

Sanctuary Wood
Book In Advance
More Info
$198.52*
and up
Private Tour: WWI Canadian Battlefields Including Vimy Ridge and Last Post...
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I agree with the other reviews that the museum and cafe areas are tatty and filled with cats. However I thought its weirdness was part of the eerie charm. We had the place to ourselves yesterday and took our time looking at horrendous photos and wandering around the trenches. They were filled with rain water so couldn't get in them but I thought it was still very moving and according to out friends was a better trench network than the one the tourist office usually direct people to in an industrial estate. Take wellies in winter! You got a good sense of how trenches were made and how close the bomb impacts were. I really felt for the poor soldiers, however had no info about who may have been there for how long, how they lived or any letters etc which would have made it come to life. The museum had a lot of funny manakins and it was all very makeshift without explanation of what you were looking at, yet still was interesting for the nominal fee. If you are expecting sleek informative plaques and high tech displays you might be disappointed, but I loved the strange female manakins with moustaches on their faces and peculiar artefacts. It is a private place owned by the family who reclaimed their land after the Great War finished, so keep expectations in line and enjoy its quirky nature.

1  Thank slimmorrell

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Old, reputedly, preserved trenches, that are still good to see, especially if you are a first time visitor. They give an impression of what trench-life was like. New bits have been added in recent years & it is now very much a commercially run business. We have never been impressed by the food in the cafe, but the museum shop sells authentic artefacts, & especially good examples of trench art. The owner seems to get larger each time we visit, & it shows by the enormous chair he sits in when taking the entrance fee.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We visited in the middle of november. Unfortunately, we arrived at the same time as a coach of school kids from essex. When I say kids, I mean 15/16 year olds who should know better. They behaved terribly and spent the entire time running around the trenches shouting, laughing and throwing mud around.

Weirdly they treated the experience like a theme park as if it was their right to be there having fun! Their teachers were bored and couldn't care less about the kids showing no respect for anyone - especially for those who fought and died in this terrible war. I think the museum owner is bored with it all too as he didnt seem at all bothered about the kids going crazy outside and ruining everyone else's experience, so for this reason, I give it a two star rating.

The museum is grubby and a bit odd but the trenches are well worth the visit. But only go when there are no tour buses outside!

Reviewed November 21, 2012

I was really excited about visiting this place before we went. My excitement was destroyed pretty much straight away.

After walking in to the cafe/museum entrance I felt like I was in the house from Texas Chainsaw Massacre. Strange atmosphere, unfriendly, dirty, unkempt, tatty and just odd.

I would never eat in the cafe.

The museum was in dire need of attention. Cases falling apart. Dust and cobwebs covering artefacts - which are supposed to be all WWI...but on speaking to two English speaking History teachers visiting at the same time, alot of it is WWII. So it seems they have acquired extra items to display that have no link to what they are supposed to be displaying/conveying.

The trenches are as to be expected and give a good impression of how they were during the war. A nice touch was 3 men dressed in British army uniforms giving demos on weaponry, kit, clothing etc whilst standing atop the trenches.

Overall, 45 minutes there was too much.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I suppose if you have to visit the trenches then you might as well go here. I find the place so artificial but then if you have never been its worth going. Very poor museum with lots of Second War stuff thrown in with Great War relics

1  Thank Oldbags186338