“Home Baking and Coffee in Medieval Setting”

Huis van de Grootjuffrouw
Ranked #39 of 302 Restaurants in Kortrijk
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This charming coffee house in the original home of the Senior Begijn was recently restored by Heritage Belgium. It is a quiet cosy setting to enjoy a coffee and home baked cakes or pastries all within the hearing of the bells of both the OLV and St Maartenskerk bell towers

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (39)

Reviewed July 24, 2019

As a born 'Kortrijkzaan' (born in the historic city of Courtrai in 1974), I still spend a lot of time in my native town. Always when I have a busy day or feel some stress, I like to go to 'Huis van de Grootjuffrouw', a beautifully redecorated little beguinage house in the shadow of the Saint Martin Church. Yesterday, I found coolness and peace on a very hot summer day. The card has soul : both food and drinks are well thought of and of superior quality. The owner Dorien and her staff always have a friendly and humorous word for their costumers, you are always welcome there. You can read papers, sit back and relax, talk or just enjoy the sound of silence and think of all the prayers spent there in history. One of the jewels of our town!

Date of visit: July 2019
Reviewed June 26, 2019 via mobile

I stopped here on the walk from the train station to my hotel. So glad I did. The owner was so lovely and suggested a lovely Cawston apple juice to go with my espresso. When brought to my bench outside in the front garden, the presentation of my drinks were as thoughtfully detailed as the surroundings as you can see. Highly recommend as a pit stop.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed October 21, 2018 via mobile

this place is the best one that match a contemporary hosting concept with the most traditional location. Wonderful!!! I suggest the Cava wine

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed July 20, 2017 via mobile

On a day trip to Kortrijk myself and my partner decided to pop in here after perusing (and kit being particularly excited) by any of the places on Grote Markt. Service was super friendly, the rijsttaart (rice pudding tart) was superb and the atmosphere relaxed and laid back. Only open for half of the day but well worth a visit, we would definitely head back if and when we visit Kortrijk again...

Date of visit: July 2017