1,305 results
All reviews evening meal coach trip tram line salad bar dining room for dinner plenty of storage free safe drinks package nice hotel set meal sea front separate toilet clean towels no air con walk in shower hot and cold food town centre
Selected filters
Reviewed April 5, 2019

A clean, modern, standard hotel with great food (albeit a set 3-course meal each evening)....remember you're on the continent and not in UK. Possibly not easy for a vegetarian. Excellent breakfast choice, very welcoming and helpful staff. A very positive first experience of Shearings Coach Holidays. Beautiful wide beaches with large promenade....try a 'pedalo'. Good local transport: extensive cheap coastal tram route. Belgian trains get you easily to Ghent, Bruges, Brussels and elsewhere in a day and back- less than £7 return after 9am for a Senior (65+) with no railcard needed. Food & drink prices in cafes slightly more than UK, but that's to be expected. Plenty of choice for beers. Great "Frites" with mayonnaise. Would definitely come again.

1  Thank 17carlbe
Reviewed April 4, 2019

As a wheelchair user I had a great room though I found bed a bit soft for my liking and had to put a pillow on base of spine, Wheelchair is slightly wider than a standard. Doors were easily accessible. Lift was small so hubby had to breathe in until we got to floor needed. Staff were excellent so helpful I would have given them top marks but the little wrongs were a personal thing. The thing that surprised us was there was no kettle in room so to get a hot drink you would have had to go into the bar area being a wheelchair user this would have been awkward. they have a small swimming pool which though not really disabled friendly, the staff were outstandingly helpful. The pool area is clean but the water cold but once in I was fine and the Jacuzzi did wonders for my aching body which also helped me sleep well. Another reason kettle would have been handy as I have special liquid foods as I have a shrinking esophagus and cannot always eat. I can only eat soft foods at best but thankfully hubby managed to find soft foods that I could manage thankfully we didn't have to resort to the special food thankfully. We stayed 4 nights the food was great though had to give hubby some of the things as couldn't manage. Unfortunately the esophagus thing has only just recently happened so was unable to let travel agency know so something could have been arranged but we got by. The hotel is also very close to beach so if you like sand, sun and sea this would be a lovely place to stay.

Reviewed April 1, 2019

We've been many times over the years, but this time we noticed that the evening meals were disappointing. I am a vegetarian, and the first meal, which was self-service was OK. After that, the service was just too slow, and I wasn't going to wait ages for a vegeburger, so just had veg. We went out on the last night.

However, the holiday itself was good, in particularly taking the train to Bruges for sightseeing.

Room tip: top floor, as the floors reverberate.
Reviewed February 17, 2019

This was our 3rd or 4th time we were staying at the hotel and we were a bit disappointed.

Let's start with the good.

The staff was friendly and competent so thumbs up for that.

Also the food is of a good quality and it shows the chef knows what he is doing.

The room and sheets were clean and had everything we needed.

The wellness is clean, not too overcrowded, and has a wide choice of sauna's, steam baths, jacuzzi and relaxation area's. Also they are planning to expand on that.

On the negative side:

We asked for a quiet room and we got one on the second floor next to the cobblestone road where every car passing woke us up and opposite 2 elevators so every drunken group of guests woke us up.

Also, we upgraded to a 'superior room' like the last time.
However this one was smaller than the previous one and also, the seams of the wallpaper are coming loose, the toilet seat was loose, the shower head was leaking and there was rot starting to show in the corner of the windows.

We booked for the valentine weekend package and apparently we were not alone.
Because of renovations, we were seated, not in the nice dining room like last time, but in the 'festivities room', a multi purpose modular room also used for business events.
Imagine 7 rows of tables for 2, 20-25 tables deep.
I can tell you, despite the attempt of the staff with the decorations, it wasn't very romantic.

Also, and I'm confident that the staff did their best, they couldn't handle this kind of service. It took 2 hours the first evening and 3 hours the second evening to get to the main dish, second evening we left before desert.
Yes I rather have the food well cooked and later instead of fast and botched, I get that.
And yes I want to spend quality time with my wife, but not in an environment that made me think of visiting days in the prison. I want a valentine weekend to radiate romance, and they failed.

The capacity problem was also shown during breakfast.
The station with the eggs and bacon were constantly empty and for the croissants and other good pastries, you needed to get up early, if not they were gone.
Again, the quality of the food is more than ok, but with the hotel being at full capacity, they couldn't handle the traffic.

I think this hotel is going for quantity, not quality.
The wellness and the food were two of the things we were coming back for, and while those are still more than OK, the lack of a good room and bad valentine experience to back that up, makes that we'll be looking for another hotel next valentine (or any busy holiday).

I want to end on a positive note.
I would still advise this hotel on slower days, because of the good food and wellness area, but ask for a good room on the north side.
Although the road there is more busy, it's tarmac, so you won't notice it.

Room tip: Road on the north side has tarmac, much more quiet than the other side (cobblestone)
Date of stay: February 2019
Reviewed January 28, 2019

Warm welcome at the reception. This time we got a refurbished room. Very spacious room with separate toilet, and nice bathroom with a stip-in shower. All very nice. But the decorators of the room did not fix the wallpaper well everywhere. A pitty!

Room tip: Ask for a room at the front side where there is less traffic.
Date of stay: January 2019