“Excellent stay on a coach trip”
Review of Royal Astrid Hotel

Royal Astrid Hotel
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in Ostend
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay on a coach trip”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I stayed here recently with a friend travelling on a JustGo Holiday and considering we had no choice on accommodation we struck lucky. Having asked for a twin room we were overjoyed to find a family room with 4 single beds and plenty of room to spread out. Also having a separate toilet to bathroom was useful. Our room on the first floor was very close to a lift and stairs direct to the dining room which was also useful. Despite the hotel being so close to a main road we weren't disturbed by traffic noise only waking each morning to the sound of what we discovered to be a leaf blower being operated daily in a nearby park. My friend is a smoker and appreciated the covered balcony for her to enjoy her cigs.
The hotel is just across the road from the beach so we could enjoy a couple of walks along the prom and it is also close to the shops and harbour.
I enjoyed swimming in the pool despite it being quite small and had it to myself a couple of times only sharing with a few people other times. The jacuzzi was a very nice experience too. .
The meals were excellent and although there were a few things I didn't eat that was down to personal taste not the quality of food. The one thing I was rather disturbed about was seeing a stuffed fox hunched over a pheasant on top of the cooked breakfast buffet stand, but I got used to averting my eyes as the bacon was to die for!
We found the staff to be friendly, helpful and efficient and all in all had a wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
South
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed here last week for 5 nights and could not have been happier. I was with a coach trip, the room my friend and I were given was on the first floor, number 126, we had asked for a twin room and got a family room with 4 beds, plenty of space to spread out.
The water was plentiful and very hot. The pool was amazing, small but we had it to ourselves the couple of times we used it. The jacuzzi was excellent and I felt very relaxed after using it.
As we were a coach party, we were sat down one end of the dining room for meals which I found quite nice. Breakfast was good with the crispiest bacon you could ever want, delicious. Dinner, for me was always very nice, some people must be so fussy and have to complain about something. We had some lovely meals.
I love the situation of the hotel, a few yards to the lovely seafront with bars and restaraunts, and the other way the town centre with some great shops.
The staff, from reception to bar staff and cleaners were great. All I can say to the people who thought they were bad is that you get back from people what you give, if you are pleasant and friendly then I find others to be also.
I hope to return some day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We recently (last week) stayed at the Royal Astrid. The majority of guests milling around the foyer were well dressed old ladies from Holland. The building is modern(ish). We were given room 103, overlooking the street, first floor.
It looked OK. All, or most Oostende hotels are not up to London standards, and once you understand that, you'll be OK.
However, the combination of cobbled street and motor vehicles, with windows open or closed produces a sound which could be used to test deep-sleepers.
We moved to a room on the other side, on the 3rd floor.
Breakfasts are good, except for the auto-machine which dispenses all kinds of drink from the same nozzle.
Staff are friendly. This hotel caters for coach parties- judging by the clientele- but it's very handy for the beach.
Avoid any street-side rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dallamore
Ghent, Belgium
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Today I had a very negative experience at this hotel. Although returning for the 3th time, each year I paid more and got a smaller, older and smellier room. This year they, while having booked & paid for a double room, they put me in a little student-alike room, hot, smelly, no possibility to open a window, tiny uncomfortable bed and a horrible bathroom. I also confirm others comment: no airco, no fridge, noisy, crappy BF, and arrogant staff. In my case, the hotel manager refused to speak to me, and let my complaint be handled off by the receptionist. A true coward, never experienced this before. Avoid this hotel at all cost, and go next-door or in front (which I did after one night): you will find 10 times better for cheaper price. Never again !!!

Room Tip: The beach nearby is the one and only open-air room I would recommend
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Jose809

Travelers are raving about these Ostend hotels

derby
Reviewed August 3, 2013

On arrival we were ushered straight into the restaurant be fore being allowed to book in, so you are there with all your hand luggage and anything else carried on the coach (it was a Shearing's break) and sat at the end od the restaurant on long tables don't bother to ask for a table for 2 as there are only 3 in the Shearing's end and first come first served, I must say that the breakfast was good anything you wanted really continental, ham cheese etc. eggs fried and boiled, sausage, beans and lovely bacon. But there the good report on food ends the dinners were boring and very second rate, soup, not even good soup for starter even when it said something different on the menu I got quite excited one day as Prawn Cocktail was on menu it was a mistake I was told. and the veg including the potatoes were canned. All I can say it was food to fill you up not delight and titillate the taste buds. Staff OK. The best thing about this Hotel is the location 5 minutes to the wonderful Ostend promenade and beach. Don't miss the firework display every Monday in July 11pm on beach its free and definitely worth staying up for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ellsnan
Madison, West Virginia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Royal Astrid with a Just Go Holiday group for six days. The hotel is conveniently located and the coach had a wide space to drop off and pick up passengers. The coach parking was a 20 minute walk away for the driver. The hotel is in walking distance to the beach and the tram.

The staff was very helpful. Check in and check out was easy. Reception gave out information when asked. They provided maps of Ostend.

Our room was on the 4th floor. It was a warm July day when we arrived after a very long coach ride. When I entered the clean, modern room it was hot and stuffy. There was no air conditioning, which was the only thing I found wrong with the room. There was one small window that could be opened and then the large window flipped out into the room. We were on a noisy street, which caused some problems with sleeping (people walking by and talking, cars blowing their horns, fire works, etc.). There was plenty of storage with shelves and two places for hanging clothes, but very few hangers. There was also a table with two chairs. There was a telephone and a safe in the room. A flat screen television was located on the wall. The programming included two English speaking channels (BBC) along with other languages.

Two towels and two hand towels were provided and changed daily. In the bathroom there was two plastic cups, two plastic shower caps and shoe shining pads. There was a bath tub and shower combination which I enjoy since I like a bath. The bathroom was clean and modern.

The hallway was wide. On the fourth floor it looked as if someone had spilled something all the way down the hallway. There were two elevators or lifts in the lobby area which were slow and only 4 people could get in one elevator. There is another lift available beyond the dining area near the computer corner and toilets at the back of the hotel which we used since no one seemed to have found this one.

As I mentioned before, there is a Computer Corner located beyond the dining area where we used free Internet. There is also wifi in the room, if a person pays 5 euros for a week. There's also a fitness area and swimming pool which we didn't locate.

Breakfast was a very large buffet. Everyone in our group loved the wide varieties of food available. Supper was also provided for us and each night the food was delightful. It started out with soup and salad. Then a different meat nightly (chicken, steak, hamburger, fish), with vegetables and a dessert. All of it was delicious and the portions were more than one could eat.

The area was fun to explore with the beach, the marina, streets with old buildings as well as new, statues, parks, street markets and plenty of shopping.

Watch out for the bicycles. Bicycle riders are everywhere and they have the right of way. Some of the paths for walkers are dirt, while the bike paths are paved. On cross walks cars must stop for bicycles and walkers, which causes people and bikes to go across without even looking, which causes driving difficult at times when there are lots of people on the move.

Overall, I would recommend the Royal Astrid for a week's stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Connie M
Geel, Belgium
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Spa and swimming pools have been renovated and are fine, but the rooms are desperately in need of refurbishing, sanitary needs replacing. This is like an old car with new flashy wheels: looks tempting from a distance but is a desillusion when you're driving it.

Rooms should be ready from 3 o'clock in the afternoon but weren't: we had to wait for another hour. A curtain was missing in our room: after remarking it to the front desk, it could only be replaced next day?

No airco in the rooms, so it can get hot in there.

Beds were too hard for me, cushions too flat.

Breakfast is mainstream average, dinner was ok I guess, but don't expect haute cuisine.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family