“Good Central Location”

Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in Ostend
Oxford, United Kingdom
“Good Central Location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Excellent position on the beachfront and right in the town centre, and for me even better in that the entrance is about 20 metres away from the stage door of the Kursaal Theatre where I was working.

The building wouldn’t win any prizes for architecture – it is a great slab like concrete monolith probably built in the 1970s … and getting decidedly shabby.

I booked a sea facing room – describe as a ‘junior suite’ but it was a large room rather than what I would describe as a ‘suite’. It was on the 8th floor, and the décor and furnishings are a bit like the building – tired and lacking style or finesse.

Aside from that, the room yielded plenty of space and was nice and light, with floor to celling windows and sliding doors out onto a balcony – which I didn’t take advantage of as the wind was blowing a Force 9 gale for both days!

I soon spread myself out all over the place and felt quite at home. I didn’t work at the desk area which was facing the wall, instead I worked on the circular table at the end of the room as I could look straight out onto the beach. Seagulls kept air-surfing on the thermal currents just centimetres away from the balcony and kept glancing sideways right into the room … which amused me for a while.

Although basic, the room was clean. It had a small fridge (empty) but the temperature was just perfect for cooling water, Red Bulls, etc.

The bathroom was Ok as well – a bath tub and a shower and enough space for everything including stretching

I had to go down to reception and manually log on to connect my main laptop to the WIFI for the first time, but once on, it stayed that way. Although the signal in my room was not the strongest, they must’ve had a super-fat pipe because there was plenty of bandwidth, and the speed for photo uploads was blisteringly fast!

Staff were friendly in the restaurant and bar on the ground floor, although a little stiff at first but they soon chilled out! The first night I went downstairs for a drink at the bar which was potentially quite nice but it really lacked any atmosphere. The second day I had lunch in the restaurant – the food was very tasty!

The parking just next door was also convenient.

I really enjoyed the view, but I would not have wanted to stay there any longer than the two nights, and I didn’t think my room was quite up to the 186 Euros a night price tag. I would stay there again if working at the Kursaal, but there are some other central Oostende hotel options that I would also look at next time I am there.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Anne Louise S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Great location, stunning view from the balcony. The room was very big and so the beds, very nice. Overall we had a nice stay, but the room was smelling badly like someone had been smoking a million cigars in the room. It was not nice!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M K
BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

After the busy city of Paris, it was refreshing to head for the coast to the little town of Oostende, where chocolate, the Green Party, and Lingerie rule supreme. My room, facing the long white sand beach, had a huge rotating window for ocean air to enter. The pounding Channel Sea (North Sea) continually churned the air off the coast into a fine mist. I saw all moods of the hotel from a busy Easter Weekend to a rainy weekday. The outdoor patio dining area was not the only one along the beach. The town is quaint with many boutiques and a town square for music. The hotel has all services and the concierge always made sure guests were happy. If you love a beach and shopping visit this modern (currently 4-star hotel). Shopkeepers honour the mid-day break so shop early or later in the afternoon to avoid the 11:00 shutdown. Room Service is memorable with silver service and excellent cafe latte. Evening gives way to clubs within the town. Just a short hop to Calais and to the hovercraft to England.

Room Tip: Ocean view is key.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank fireflyBC
Maldegem, Oost-Vlaanderen, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were in this hotel for a seminar with my work. Great place for a seminar with view (from our seminar-room) @ the sea. The view would even greater if the windows would be cleaned more often. Rooms were ok ... All the comfort I needed was present. One major disappointment !!! There was a bar/fridge in my room but it was empty !!! No soda during the night !?! strange ...
Breakfast was good but I regret that bread, croissants are situated at the other side of the restaurant and not at the buffet.
Like in lots of hotels orange-juice is more water than juice !!
Lunch was fine as well. A (big) cold plate together with vegetables and french fries. Tasty and more than enough !!!
Little disappointment in the bar. Great place but The waiter was not in his best mood and showed it very clear.
He had to get our drinks in another room and was not happy with that. Strange ...
Conclusion : all by all a positive evaluation and (at the correct price) a hotel were I would go back for f.e. a (romantic) weekend ....

Room Tip: As room with sea-view (more expensive ofcourse)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Basel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I stayed a couple of days at the Andromeda. The room was ok (no sea-view, though). The place is not cheap and what unfortunately really stood out was the complete lack of service.

I have never stayed in a 4 star ("Hotel & Thalassa"), where upon arrival you get to hear: "here is the key, the elevators are over there". Not a single friendly word, no explanations provided about the facilities and amenities. Same attitude at departure.

The location is great on the seafront but also very noisy at night. The restaurant was also soso. So overall, not to good value for the money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anak789
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

The hotel is located strategically in this beach town. However, hotel's furniture are ages. Is like we are living in 70-80s ... I believe we can get a better hotel with the price we had paid if we have book in advance.

The best part is the services. Many thanks to the "gentlemen"- who work in front desk, he gave us 50 euro discount as we lack of budget and it was 3am, we couldn't get any room.

Room Tip: Stay higher floor with sea view to reduce/minimize any noise
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

There are pluses to the hotel - it is located adjacent to the seafront and the Casino and the public areas are well kept. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful.
The minuses outweigh the pluses. We were two single men occupying rooms on the first floor. Some reviews extol the virtues of the sea views and being able to people watch - don't expect this if you have booked a single room. Our rooms overlooked an "inner courtyard" - a polite description of the roofs below, a blank concrete wall and two walls of other rooms / apartments. The room itself was small (a bit smaller than the size of a typical budget hotel room). Furniture and fittings were OK but nothing more. I have stayed in much better hotels for the price throughout Europe, the US and New Zealand - definitely overpriced.
Unless you are made of money do not park at the hotel - 25 Euros a night for a covered place (Central London prices!!). I would also suggest that you avoid the breakfast (16 Euros) and go to one of the small bars / bakeries nearby.
Overall not a 4 star experience - and not worth the price.
My travelling companion used the swimming pool and said it was OK (but a bit dowdy). We both commented on the high price of the Spa treatments (and hence did not use them).

Room Tip: Don't use the hotel if they offer you an inner courtyard view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family