“delicious food for a good price!”
Review of St Malo

St Malo
Ranked #29 of 389 Restaurants in Ostend
Cuisines: Belgian, Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 1, 2014

the food here is great!! especially the sole!!
perfectly baked in butter sauce like it should be! and served with belgian fries!! hmmmmmmmmmm
the interior is very romantic and the waitress very friendly.
the toilet is like a spa ;) with zen music and sounds of a waterfall :)
we will definitly go back when we are in Ostend again

ronnyOstende_Belgium, Owner at St Malo, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Thank you for your friendly comment ! We looking forward seeing you again.

There are newer reviews for St Malo

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Nice restaurant at the seafront with a very tasty lunch. The fishsoup is simply excellent. If you are in a hurry don't expect to get fast food, which of course is nice.

ronnyOstende_Belgium, Eigenaar at St Malo, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Thank you for your visit and positive comment! We're glad you enjoyed our fish soup and are looking forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

It looked promising: Thai-Belgian fusion. I really was looking forward to it so I wanted to order the Thaifood for starters and a Thai dish as main course from the fixed menu. However, the waitress kindly told me that it actually was the same preparation. Duh! So I took the zarzuela instead as main course. It wasn't much more that salty water with overcooked and shewy shellfish. Not much fusion there. The starter was okay, spicy indeed, but not much Thai flavour. I guess the cook needs to go on anothe traineeship.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Having read the other reviews here, I was expecting to have a really nice dinner. But no such thing. To start with, the personnel. Everyone eating know how important it is to be welcomed and to be treated as a valued customer. That did not happen here. Being ignored seems to be the thing of this place. No smiles, nobody seeing you, nobody asking how you are doing, nobody asking if you need something else and so on. In other words - no matter how good the food might have been, I would never go back to a place that treats me that bad again. But here comes the second thing, food was NOT good. I ordered their 3 course meny (carpaccio as a starter, monkfish with scamp, mussels, crayfish and squid). For the carpaccio I had to wait 35 minuters. In comes a platter completely filled with meat - but no taste. After that I had to wait another 40 minutes for my main. During this time I tried several times to get the attention of the waitress but they never gave me the slightest look. I had to shout to get their attention in the end. When I said the waiting time was much to long, she suggested I learnt a little bit more about how work in a resto kitchen is done, by coming back another day and have a look. Not even close to an apology in other words. When the main finally came I had already been in the restaurant for 1h 20 minutes! And it was all over cooked. The monkfish was like rubber, the gambas and the crayfish had no texture and with no taste. The 1 of 5 is mainly due to rude treatment of customers, the food I would give 3 because it wasnt tasting bad, just nothing. But another 1 goes to the very long waiting times and the obviously bad management. Ostende has a lot of restaurants to offer, go somewhere else.

3  Thank SouvenirBrussels
ronnyOstende_Belgium, Owner at St Malo, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Haha I know who you are, You are the woman that came alone . If you really want to eat so fast , go to a fast food restaurant , you rally have no idea what is going on in a kitchen in a top saison,

Reviewed June 13, 2013

I ate the standard diner around of € 35 (without drinks), including three courses with several choices to be made. I ordered the scampi's, the main course fish ensemble and chocolate moelleux for desert. Both the scampi's and the fish had the typical Asian - European fusion treatment. Both were enjoyable without being really top (probably containing deep frozen ingredients). Desert was excellent. The atmosphere and view on the sea is enjoyable however (if you're not seated to the back of the restaurant), the service impeccable and friendly. Only using fresh ingredients would make me give it a higher score.