“Or how to spice up a history lesson for your kids..”

Atlantic Wall Museum
Ranked #1 of 66 things to do in Ostend
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We visit Atlantic Wall with our 8-year old son. The combination of the displays and the fact that the visit involves a lot of walking (or running) around in former trenches, bunkers and along underground paths made this a fun outing for him and for us. He asked a lot of questions related to everything he has learned in school about WW2 as well as to the stories of his grandparents (who were children in WW2). The audioguide and the displays made it easier for us to explain. As for myself - when I was a child, I used to visit my grandmother at the belgian coast. I used to play in the dunes in bunkers without ever knowing their complete history. I am now finally well informed. Excellent and fun museum. Didn't seem suitable for strollers or wheelchairs as it would be too hard to enter the bunkers.

There are newer reviews for Atlantic Wall Museum

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Thanks to the Belgium royals, who donated their fishing resort to history this is the most complete Atlantic fort existing. Rommel inspected this location before the invasion in 1944. This is also pretty much where the trench's of WWI met the ocean. The displays are interesting and the tunnels give an interesting perspective of how life was carried on in this place during the war.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

A very interesting insight into the German occupation. The audio guide was an ideal way to understand the battery.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

If you are a student of military fortifications, this tour is for you. If you want human stories or personal remembrances, you may be disappointed. However, if you are looking for an authentic, well planned insight into coastal fortifications of WW1 and WW2, you should not miss this excellent tour. I appreciate the time they took with the audio tours and the price was very low. this is the real deal, so be ready to walk, climb, duck, and get a little dirty as you go through the displays. I thought I knew a lot about coastal forts, but was frankly amazed at the engineering, tunnels, and politics involved in this fort. It takes about two hours to go through, but I recommend you get the triple ticket and go the Prince memorial as well -- very interesting insight to the Royal Family of Belgium.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

Visited this quite unique "museum" during our recent holiday in Ostend. As everywhere else in Belgium, we were greeted with a warm welcome and enjoyed a really interesting couple of hours with an excellent audio guide.

1  Thank happycoupleBucks