“Budget Hotel that grows on you”
Review of Hotel Albert II

Hotel Albert II
Ranked #13 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Ostend
Reviewed August 28, 2010

This is the second time i've stayed here, the first time was before a the refurb. I was a little disappointed that the old bar had dissapeared as it was cosy and inviting. There has been a decent job done on the dining room which is now quite pleasant, here are the good points and bad points and a summary.
This hotel is used by budget travel groups and if you're part of a package it's not a bad deal. The staff are friendly and accomodating, the hotel is very central and near to the beach and all the shops and the market. The breakfast is quite extensive but if you're a Brit you will be a bit disappointed as there's no bacon!,the food is very plain but plentiful. The beds seem quite new and are clean and comfortable.OK , here's the downside. There's only one small lift and this can present you with a problem if you arrive with a large group as none of the Hotel is on the ground floor, on saying this the lift seemed to work ok. Some of the rooms are a little small (not all) and the bathrooms are small but the shower was good and worked fine. The toilets in some of the rooms can be a bit whiffy. Found it strange that dogs are allowed in the dining room but there seems to be dogs everywhere in Ostend. To sum up if you like Ostend and Bruges like us and you are on a tight budget this place isn't as bad as some of the reviews suggest.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 16, 2010

We arrived in Ostende for a 1 night stay on a Saturday, first impressions of the hotel aren't good as it's off a busy pedestrianised street, things got better as you entered the hotel and clmibed the stairs to reception (there is a lift) as it looks like they have made an effort in improving the appearance of the public areas of the hotel. We were allocated room 324, apparently a double room (definately only big enough for one person and that is at a push)............ two single beds pushed together, which is fine but you couldn't walk around one side of the bed as the wardrobe placed in the middle of the floor (nowhere else for it to go) stopped this from happening. The bathroom was a makeshift ensuite, with a slide along plastic door, very difficult to sit on the loo (facing the bed) and shut the door. Nowhere to put cases so pretty much blocked the door to get in and out of the room, very hot room and can't leave window open as it right by the fire escape. The room was musty, smelly and not particulalry clean. Not what you would really expect from a 70 euro a room hotel. Would never stay here again and put a dampner on our visit to Ostende.......... they have obviously made a small effort but they still have a long way to go!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2010

There was a review posted on the 24th July together with photos from Janika from the Netherlands - I have just cancelled my holiday booked for September based on the bad review and the apalling photos. I need this review back to give me some evidence for the company I booked the holiday with!!

Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed July 24, 2010

this hotel is ugly and the people there are really unfriendly.
the rooms are not clean good .
i have one word for this hotel NIGHTMARE

DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Janicka36
Reviewed July 18, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Albert II in June. The staff were really friendly and very hard working. Bazza arranged some good entertainment and we really enjoyed the quiz..The rooms were clean and comfortable. Food was good , plenty of it and we were offered second helpings.

The only complaint would be that our room was close to the cleaners station and they had loud conversationsearly morning. To be fair we didn't complain so they probably didn't know that they were disturbing anyone.

Location is good very central. I would certainly stay at this hotel again

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Scotty209967
Reviewed May 9, 2010

Previous reveiws understate the worst aspect of this hotel. It is indeed the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune of staying in. The food is dreadful, the fish especially, rubbery and in a slimey sauce, the restaurant staff could not even tell me what it was and when I complained BAZZA Barry Fawlty, an extremely unhelpful, arrogant and sarcastic manager / bar person told me I should not complain to HIM in such a manner as it will get me nowhere, "take it or leave it for the money you have paid sir in after all what is only a 2 star hotel" is all I got. Would certainly not recommend this appalling hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank CliffEdge1
Reviewed February 17, 2010

Never again. Misleading information on their site - please don't be fooled. No Parking outside - we had to pay 16 Euros for overnight parking a few blocks away. Not ideal when one of your party is disabled. The supposedly 'spacious' rooms advertsised were like box cupboards, you could harldy move in them. Internet connection as advertised - non existant. 'It does not work' was the response. Cooked breakfast - warm bolied eggs or greasy scrambled - take your pick. We had to ask twice for bread to be replenished - almost as if we we on rations.
Be careful about payment. One of our party secured the booking on her credit card having been told we could settle up in cash before departure. The hotel took the full amount off the credit card after our first night. Luckily, this did not result in her becoming overdrawn but another misconception that could have been avoided.
This is supposedly a 3 Star. 2 years ago we stayed at the 1 star Hotel Serge which was by far superior and we will stay there next time for definite.
Apart from 1 receptionist, a male who spoke excellent English, the rest were abrupt and unhelpful, almost anti-English. The stay at Albert Hotel was an experience we never wish to repeat.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank ColinROldham
DDeWeerdt, Directeur at Hotel Albert II, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2010

The Mullan party arrived around 12.30. As we were very busy the day before, the rooms were not ready yet. They made an inquiry for parking the car, and I explained all the 4 possibilities. I offered the clients a drink (3 coffee and 1 beer) and told the housekeeping to clean first there rooms. I first gave room 112 for the customer in the wheelchair around 13.45. Around 15.00 the rooms were done.

Room 112 is a spacious room, and I even had accompanied the clients to the room to confirm, what they did. Internet is advertised in reception area and working, not in the rooms. The other rooms were 103 and 104, taking the clients request in consideration (lowest floor possible).

The Mullan party booked in rate plan non refundable, what gives us, as specified, the right to deduct the amount from the credit card. The breakfast was never short, since I regularly checked myself.

We are not a *** but a ** star hotel. Last comment is not accurate. Indeed I was the receptionist by check in that helped them with luggage etc. But I cannot imagine the rest of my staff behaving anti English.

Best regards,