“Fabulous atmosphere and the staff are great”
Review of De Stoepa

De Stoepa
Ranked #145 of 756 Restaurants in Bruges
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We popped in here for a drink shortly before leaving on the train last year after a day trip to Brugge (from Brussels). We loved the rusticness and the ambience of it then, and the fact it seemed to be more of a locals place than full of tourists (like us!). This time round we chose to eat here one evening and weren't disappointed. The food isn't gourmet, but is good quality, tasty and accompanied by a decent wine list. The service is great with all of the staff very friendly and happy to explain the menu. As a veggie in a city that just doesn't 'do' vegetarianism very well, I was delighted to discover four veggie options on the menu, even if one was the unimaginative goats cheese salad that most Brugge restaurants seem to offer as their only veggie option! We had a main course each, a bottle of red wine between us and a coffee each, which all came in at about 45 Euros plus a tip - very reasonable compared to what we paid on other nights. I'd definitely come back.

The only note of caution would be the stairs to the tables upstairs and also to the toilets for the diners sitting downstairs - steep and not well lit, not ideal for the less mobile or anyone who has enjoyed three beers too many.

1  Thank zebedee77

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This restaurant has a nice courtyard for outdoor eating. I thought this was an asian place, but It looks like an English pub, and serves many pasta dishes. I was in Bruges during the offseason on a Wednesday and it was pretty late. Many other places were closed but this place was open. I had a good seafood pasta dish, mussles in Bruge are good. My wife had a vegetable Pad Thai but she did not like it. It was covered in Soy sauce and she was expecting peanut sauce. It was reasonably priced, had a good beer selection, and served good size portions. I would eat there again but wouldn't go out of my way to eat there again.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Maybe I'm a spoiled guy, but as a tourist I would not visit it. Maybe for some tapaz as a local and then again, the location is not that convenient. Sure the amount of food is correct priced but I don't see added value. It is one of many places/ sorry for the owners but that is the fact. Also hospitality is a word that is somewhere in the middle of their agenda, they know it but it depends on the day. I would go more downtown and choose another place. I'm hard in reviews, but when I go to a restaurant I want to be treated as a guest, and not as a number. Think it is also not very frech, and probably orderd in bulk and just reheated.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Good address to have snack, not really the best restaurant in town. Keep an eye on the number of drinks you order, we have been charged more than we ordered in the past.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Customer Care 101: It's not a good idea to threaten paying customers with threats as: "Wait your turn" and "I will remember your face!" when you leave them waiting for more then a hour for a simple spaghetti from the microwave... They seemed to have forgotten our table's order and when we asked for a drink as compensation she started acting really passive aggressive. Best to shut up and pay it seems...

1  Thank MitchG1985