“Elegant ambience”

Cuisines: Belgian, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I had the pleasure of dining here last night (Sunday at 7pm) and was delighted with the welcome, the restaurant interior and the food. I ordered the 4 course suggestion menu with wines. The first course was gazpacho soup which was very tasty and made even better by the delicious finely diced cucumber. There followed the stand-out dish of the evening: the sea bass on a bed of beetroot with beetroot emulsion, which was perfectly cooked. The emulsion was especially good and lifted the delicate flavour of the fish beautifully. There followed baby lobster with a mild curry sauce... also very nice, but the rice was a little dry and overcooked. Finally the ice cream and fruits was a fitting end. The owner waitress was charming and friendly, although she was somewhat rushed off her feet partly due to one local customer who kept her talking for ages, several times. This meant that the overall service suffered and was slow, especially towards the end. But I would still recommend this restaurant to anyone. Reservations are essential... she had to turn away several groups of people through the evening.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

-very good price/ratio quality (gastronomic menu +/-65€ wine included)
-2 min walk from the center of Bruges
-kind owners

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Lovely restaurant, the food was excellent (I had baby lobster to start followed by sea bass), good selection of wine and a nice atmosphere. Also, very friendly service. Only slight negative was that the food was a little slow (it seems that the only staff here are the husband and wife owners - the wife front of house and the husband in the kitchen). Overall a lovely dining experience and I would recommend particularly for a special occasion, but make sure you go on a night when you have plenty of time to relax and enjoy. Book in advance to be sure of a table, as very small!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

My wife and I visited De Stove on the recommendation of our host. We had not booked, but were offered a table on what proved to be a busy night. The service and food were excellent. Highly recommended!

Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Be sure to reserve in advance. The restaurant is small and dies only 1 sitting per night - with only 7 tables this means about 20 people maximum. While we were there a few sets of people had to be turned away for that reason.
Our experience was fantastic. Beautiful decor (with the famous stove!), candles, and classical music. Seamless service by the wonderful husband and wife team- as far as I could tell there was no one else cooking/serving/cleaning.
A large menu with a prix-fixe option of four courses, everything ( both our food and food we saw served to others) beautifully presented. Generous servings. Very delicious. I cannot say enough about my Flemish fish stew - a humongous steaming hot pot with a variety of very fresh high quality salmon, white fish, scallops, grey shrimp, and shellfish in light grey shrimp broth. My tuna carpaccio was plentiful and delicious also.
My husband had the shrimp bisque and the white fish dish with risotto and was very happy as well.
Dessert options included sorbets and ice creams, creme brûlée, chocolate options, and our pick - this amazing creme of mango with almond crumble.
Good service. Great tea/espresso too - both cams with a little tray of chocolates/ tiny cookies/gourmet sugars.
Highly recommend and can't wait to return.
Our total for bottled waters, 1 glass if wine, two 2-course meals, one dessert, tea/coffee was 105eur. Totally worth it in my view.