“Very Nice Hotel”

Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges
Ranked #14 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Beautiful hotel with history. In a central location, but away from noise. Lobby area has a nice sitting/living room with chess, newspaper, drinks to order. Separate bar room with sitting inside and outside. We were told they had classic concerts outside every now and then.

Our room was very spacious with sitting area and a desk. The bathroom was large and modern. Both were nicely decorated. We were very happy with our room.

The front desk and bellmen were very friendly.

The only disappointment was house keeping. We were out for hours. When we came back for a quick rest, our room was not cleaned yet. However, when we came back at night, the room was cleaned. But, the cleaning lady left her cleaning stuff in our bathroom. She also neglected to leave shampoo and conditioner. When i called to ask for them the next day, housekeeping sent up a handful right away.

The hotel has internet. However, not free.

If we come to Brugge, we would stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,885)

Reviewed September 9, 2010

We stayed for five nights and asked for a room change because our "superior" room had uncomfortable 2 twin mattresses instead of a single king/queen sized mattress. The receptionist neglected to inform us that the new room that was assigned was "standard" category.

No ironing board in the room and the clean towels had an unpleasant odor.

The hotel needs to deliver a better standard of service

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2010

We stayed the last weekend in August, and were disappointed, particularly as this is not a cheap hotel to stay at.
1. The room was billed as having a King Bed, but was made up of 2 beds that were joined together and clearly had a dip between the beds. This was not ideal as we had a 2 year old who ended up in the dip. Not what i'd expect at a hotel of this calibre.
2. Then, on the first night, we had a knock at the door at around 9.30 pm - which turned out to be housekeeping offering to turn down the beds and offered us water, chocolates etc. We thought it was quite late for this kind of service, especially as we had a young child with us. The second night. nobody arrived to turn down our beds or give us water and at around 9.30 we called Housekeeping for this to be done (we really wanted some water!) Again, not at all reasonable for a "quality hotel" charging through the teeth.
3. I tried to call Room Service on both nights we stayed, but there was no answer. i had to call down to the Front Desk and ask to be put through on both nights.
4. I went for a swim one morning at 8.30, but there was nobody manning the Health Suite/spa. Although not a big Suite, it would have been nice to have someone directing you to the correct changing rooms etc.
5. No free wifi in the bedrooms, and not a great range of tv channels in English.
All in all, whilst the hotel was very central, I would not recommend this unless they got an exceptionally good deal because of the mediocre service.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2010

Let me start by saying the hotel was very nice, bordering on posh, starting with the first impression: an entry down a side street, into a courtyard and then into the 'lobby,' which is more like a large alcove than the impersonal registration desks at most hotels. Our room - including the bathroom - was spacious and well decorated.

If you are in Bruges and want a luxurious stay, this is the hotel - just be prepared to pay for it. For example, they charge 20 euros for internet service and even charge for use of the computers in the business center - at a time when almost all hotels offer both for free. Breakfast was 30 euros per person. However, the hotel is centrally located and within a five minute walk you can find a large number of cafes where, for 40 euros four of us had our fill of coffee, croissants and scrambled eggs.

Overall, the experience was positive and we'd recommend a stay there, particularly if you can find a good price on the internet.

Reviewed August 26, 2010

An absolutely amazing hotel featuring classic luxury with flawless service. The perfect place to relax and be spoiled for a few days. The rooms are posh, quiet, and wonderfully comfortable with every ammenity available, including heated tile bathroom floors, and reasonably priced internet. They offer 2 internet plans - one for only 5 euros - this plan is more than enough bandwidth. I even made calls with skype. I can't imagine a reason anyone would need the higher priced service unless they're using video.

The hotels location is perfect for shopping and exploring. Right off one of the main shopping streets you're a 2 minute walk from Market Square and between the hotel and Market Square are numerous cafes, bistros, restuarants, and tea rooms. There's also a grocery store a minute walk from the hotel.

The spa facilities are also wonderful - and I highly recommend the relaxation massage. It was just what I needed after a long plane flight. I can't comment on the restaurant, I didn't eat at the hotel, but the capuccino in the bar is wonderful.

I was lucky enough to catch the first snow of the year, it happened during my first night at the hotel and thanks to jet lag I was up before dawn to enjoy it in peace and quiet. After dawn, but before the town gets humming, I went out an explored - absolutely magical, especially the area around the cloisters.

I'll definately be back.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed August 25, 2010

We stayed at this beautiful and romantic hotel for 3 nights and it was absolutely fantastic. The staff is so welcoming and knowledgable. The elegant rooms are luxurious, the hotel is architecturally stunning and in a quiet courtyard away from the busy tourist crowds of Brugges. Absolutely the best service and hotel in Brugge and perhaps all of Belgium!

1  Thank curatedguide
Reviewed August 24, 2010

.. Having scrutinised trip advisor before booking , I had my fingers well and truly crossed.... the building was beautiful and the staff were friendly and professional.... however, I was really disappointed.
Despite being a 5 star hotel (which was well overrated), there was no tea and coffee in the room, the breakfast was €30 pp (and it looked awful) and the room was basic (apart from being full of creepy pictures).... It was a birthday treat for my boyfriend and I wished i'd booked somewhere else.. He said it was fine.. which it was.. but for that amount, I expected exceptional, not fine!.. they also left me an electric wire (off a plug) caught up in the towel, which cut me.. and they did nothing about it.... lastly - WIFI was €25 per day!! what a rip off