“Nice but misses some details”

Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges
Ranked #13 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Jodoigne, Brabant, Belgium
“Nice but misses some details”
Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I had a room with view on the garden. Room and bathroom were very clean. I didn't like the carpet in the room because of allergy. Toiletries: quite a few and a very good brand (L'Occitane en Provence). Minibar was ridiculously expensive (3.50€ for a small bottle of water) i went to the nightshop to get a 2 ltr bottle at 2 €. This kind of hotel (5*) should offer a free bottle of water. Also there were no coffee or tea making facilities which was disappointing. The bed was good however the pillows were way too thick. Woke up in the middle of the night with neck pain. Switched my pillow with a smaller, decorative pillow. Free laptop safe however not suitable for 17 inch laptop. I appreciated that the windows could open. Staff was very friendly however my person checking me in was very young and unexperienced because she didn't give me a full explanation where the restaurant was, timing of breakfast etc. Whilst the person next to her checking in my colleague did. Luckily i could pick up some info.
I was there wirh 7 colleagues and we had booked a meeting room for a 2 day meeting. The meetingroom became very hot although airco was constantly on. The room had big windows capturing sun as of noon so warming up the room. Staff was so friendly to provide us with a fan. We had 2 lunches at the hotel. Small portions of a la carte menu but was very good. We also had 2 coffebreaks and that was very well done: coffee, juices, fruit, sweets, actimel. A real treat! All served in the beautiful garden. The breakfast was great. Although less clear that it was served in 2 areas. bread, cheese, meat etc was served in the seating area whilst the rest of the splendid breakfast was served elsewhere. Luckily my colleagues found out before I arrived. There was a lot of choice. Really very nice. We had drinks at the bar before going for dinner and service was top! We asked for a restaurant recommendation. Hotel took care of the booking of the resto. It was a very good choice (Brasserie Raymond). Meeting room was very well organized (2 flipcharts, screen, projector, writing pads, pens, water) After our coffee break on day 2 staff had put chocolates as a farewell gift in the meeting room. Nice! Staff was very flexible too. Due to time constraint we asked to serve the dessert after lunch in the meeting room. No issues at all.
Proximity to city centre is a big advantage. Parking in the garage is pretty expensive.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Tineke07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (394)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The locations is excellent near the center of Brugge
The Gardens are not to be missed--serenity in the middle of a busy city
The staff could be a little friendlier and the room that we were in was clean but very barren-could have used a magazine on the table or maybe even a few fresh flowers to brighten up the place

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank sijboukje13
Dorridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2014

stayed for a weekend in july at the hotel dukes palace. It is a lovely hotel in the heart of bruges which itself is lovely.The décor is good, the staff are mainly excellent though there was one breakfast server that was indifferent vs the rest and breakfast quality was very good including plenty of chocolate and cava if you fancy it at breakfast though fresh fruit salad was somewhat basic. bedroom was well furnished though a bit difficult getting out of the high sided bath after showering and we are fit and healthy. The only downside which was a major issue was the bathroom ventilation came on at 7am automatically and was loud which prevented having a lie in at the weekend - really unacceptable and staff state wont override it -otherwise i would have rated hotel as excellent

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank PaulinDorridge87
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 15, 2014

My expectation were very high upon arrival and they were quickly deflated. Check-in was rather unsettling- too many people crowded around a very small check-in area, but this is not really a big problem. The problem was that we were given a room that had not been cleaned from the previous customers! I was shocked to see upon entrance that the blankets were all over the place, towels on the ground... I went down to the reception, and they said a computer bug may have been the reason. I accepted the explanation, grudgingly. I came back a few hours later and was given access to the same room, it was clean, but with two major problems: I had insisted upon check-in and in my reservation that we have two separate beds, and it was one... I called the reception desk and the person said..."impossible, there are two rooms.." There was one! In about 15 minutes the beds were redone and problem solved. Two so far in what was supposed to be a special weekend in Brugges. Third problem: TV did not work.. and they had to come up and fix it. I was at this point regretting my choice of hotel!
So why 4 stars on Tripadvisor and not 3 or 2? Two reasons, the hotel is really beautiful and full of history, and the restaurant was very good although not cheap.
Breakfast was great, but here again, the lack of communication seemed to be problematic, no one actually tells you there is a second buffet in a room nearby! And for the coffee, I had to almost stand up and run after the attendants to get their attention since very few people seemed to be working in a very large room.
I think the only reason I am not putting a poor score overall is the location and the grand and beautiful nature of this historic hotel. Will i stay there again? Not sure... A very special event was disappointing.

Room Tip: The view from the rooms is fantastic if you get a higher floor... It is great to get one of the room...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Flying M
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 15, 2014

We stayed here back in February for 3 night/4 day stay at Hotel Dukes' Palace Brugge, and what a amazing time we had! Every single member of staff was delightful; they were polite, courteous and bent over backwards to ensure we were happy. The hotel was very clean inside and outside. Our rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels left daily. The food was amazing especially the breakfast OMG the selection is just gobsmacking. I did not want to leave. The staff are very friendly and delightful. The front desk are also very helpful. Thank you for all your delicious restaurants options nearby.I wouldn't hesitate to a) recommend this hotel to others and b) return for another visit! I think the value for money is outstanding. I will be coming back next year with my girls again and this time 10 of us.
This place deserves a yearly visit.

Also thank you for the special upgrade for a special occasion. ( one year anniversary).
Beauitful touch to the break.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tare U
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2014

The location was excellent and the beds were superb. The rooms were very spacious with huge bathrooms and houskeeping did an excellent job cleaning. Where the hotel fell short was the service - we sat in the bar one night for 30 minutes before we left because no one came over. Another night we wanted dessert and they said we could only have dessert if we sat down for dinner. Huh? The hotel is an older hotel and had a sewage smell in the hallway - luckily it wasn't in the room. Next time we go, we'll try another hotel. Wasn't bad, just not special.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a nice view - it was one of the highlights of our stay.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DSMTravel91
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 13, 2014

This is the only 5* hotel in Bruges and well worth a visit. It is located in an ideal spot for all the attractions bruges has to offer. The staff are all polite, helpful and efficient. We stayed for two nights in a superior garden room. It was clean and very comfortable, beautifully decorated with a huge comfy bed. The bathroom was gorgeous. We had a lovely view of the beautiful gardens. It was peaceful. The breakfast provided a huge selection of quality food which set you up for the day in a lovely dining room. We loved sitting in the bar for a drink before going out for a meal and going back afterwards for a night cap. Highly recommend for your visit to Bruges.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking garden very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple