“All was great!”

Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges
Ranked #14 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed October 19, 2008

We stayed at the hotel on the 12 of oct, 2008.our stay was very short, arriving at 8 pm and leaving 2 pm next day but still i found the hotel very pleasant as in staff the rooms were very clean and huge . the garden where we had our drinks was amazing and you feel somehow in your own home .. i loved it and have nothing negative to say .. unlike our stay in paris at the marriot, champs elysees.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ranaho
Write a ReviewReviews (2,983)

Reviewed October 7, 2008

Nice room and very comfy beds. The thing lacking with the hotel was experience at the front desk. We asked for a restaurant recommendation for traditional Belgian cuisine and the only one given was for a very modern looking brasserie (we passed it later that night and it was dead), when we said no to that there was no other recommendation forthcoming so it was back to the guidebooks. They should have a list and more knowledge - basic things for a 5* hotel.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed September 29, 2008

I found that certain aspects of service received at the Kempinski Hotel didn't live up to 5 star standards. Initially I made the booking a few weeks in advance of my stay and booked the non-cancellable room option. However, because of the fire in the Channel Tunnel Eurostar were advising all passengers to cancel non-essential journeys. I contacted the hotel asking to transfer my booking to a later date quoting what Eurostar had advised me. However, I was told this wasn't an option and that I would lose my money if I wasn't able to make the date booked. However we did manage to travel by Eurostar with longer travel times because of the delays incurred by the fire damage in the tunnel. I did think that in the circumstances that the Kempinski could have let us transfer the booking to a later date - possibly with an administration fee charged. This I consider would have been good customer relations....

I did find that there was a strange smell in the hallway when going to our room and outside the main entrance of the hotel it had a very bad smell of bad drains - a sewage smell. The other gripe I had was at breakfast. Firstly, the table was incorrectly laid - with a number of things missing. We ordered eggs. After 20 minutes the eggs still hadn't arrived - when I asked the waitress to check where the order had got to - she went into the kitchen and said that the kitchen had lost the order!! I was very annoyed as not even an apology was given. I feel that some staff do need training. Although the receptionist and other members of staff on the front desk I found to be excellent. They gave us an excellent restaurant recommendation for dinner with tradional Flemish food (De Vlaamsche Pot) very close to hotel. Extremely good value restaurant with very good portions - lovely traditional food - in fact too much food....

On a positive note the room was good with everything as you would expect. We had a room with a lovely view over the garden and the room was very quiet.

This was our first stay at a Kempinski hotel and I wasn't overly impressed. I think if I return to Bruge I would stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 5starfan
Reviewed September 6, 2008

We just came back from a 3 night stay at the Kempinski - Duke's Palace. It was an amazing place: beatifully decorated, beautiful large rooms, excellent location, excellent food and friendly and helpful staff. Not cheap but definitely worth it!
Will definitely love to go back.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2008

Fabulous hotel - very centrally located and convenient for the sights of Bruges. All rooms are individually decorated (although it's really only the suites that vary considerably in lay-out and size, the standard rooms are quite similar) very tastefully done and a good size. Some suites are historically listed and have original features in (might be artwork, or a fireplace, etc). Bathrooms are quite spacious (massive in most of the suites which also seem to have Molton Brown toiletries rather than the standard hotel-own in the standard rooms) and fully equipped. Rooms either have slight city views of the Spires (not the best as slightly over a flat roof that wasn't particularly inspiring) or over the gardens which are filled with modern artwork. Beds are very comfortable, but although I tried two different pillows on the pillow menu, they both seemed to be the same - a little soft for my liking, but I still had a good night's sleep.

A fabulous Champagne breakfast with a huge variety - definitely recommended! The restaurant at the hotel was superb too - the food was of a very high standard and absolutely delicious. The bread was fantastic - I recommend the slightly aniseedy one that looked like a bullet. My scallop starter was cooked to perfection. I found the meal size to be perfect - not too big but not too small (although be careful about filling up on the bread - they came around repeatedly and it was so damn tasty it was hard to say no!). Cocktails in the bar were reportedly delicious.

Spa was very nice too - I believe it's the only hotel-spa in Bruges. There's an indoor swimming pool (it was being utilised on our tour so I couldn't accurately gauge size as we didn't go in).

We also dined at the Breydel de Coninc restaurant www.breydel-deconinc.be (a short walk away from the hotel - well, most things are in Bruges!) which was wonderful - I shared a lobster with a friend and (predictably for Belgium) the frites were fabulous. The dessert (meringue with raspberry coulis and ice cream) was also fantastic and I really enjoyed it. Other members of our group recommended the mussels wholeheartedly. Decor was very light and airy - quite modern, and definitely classy (but not in an obstrusive or stuffy way). I'd definitely return here.

On our last day we had lunch at the De Koetse (www.dekoetse-brugge.be) which was also very good, although a lot darker and more wintry in decor (I guess you'd call it traditional). Food was of a high standard and they cook their meat over an open flame. I had a steak which was quite good - being pregnant I had to have it well done (ugh!) but I had a sneaky taste of my friend's medium steak which was superb. The ubiquitous mussels, oysters and lobsters were also on offer, along with the frites - again, all of a very good standard.

A great little chocolate shop that I've been going to for years is the Chocolatier Dumon, just around the corner from the hotel on the way to the main square. For something a little different I'd recommend the dark chocolate-covered marshmallows - the best I've ever eaten, and a lovely, lighter way to enjoy delicious Belgian chocolate. They have two shops in Bruges at Walstraat 6 [-] and Eiermarkt 6 [-].

Bruges is a fabulous destination for a quick weekend break and Eurostar is definitely the easiest way to get there. Your ticket to Brussels is valid for travel to any onward destination in Belgium within 24 hours of arrival (or departure for the return journey). On arrival in Brussels Midi-Zuid, just check one of the screens for the next Bruges departure and head to the platform. If you're travelling in Leisure Select or Business Premier, you'll be able to travel in first class on the domestic rail which is worth noting. Train times are available on www.brail.be and the service takes approx. 1 hour and departs around every half hour.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled on business
3  Thank BeeTheTravelAgent
Reviewed September 2, 2008

I hold high expectations on the Kempinski Duke's Palace hotel in Bruge.
Yet the overall experience is great but with a slight disappointment.

The location is close to shops and sights, while Bruges is a small town within walking distance. Taxi fare from the train station is 12.50Euro, but it's cheaper from the hotel to the train station, the meter showed 5.50 Euro, we were told by the driver of 8 Euro.

I was a bit disappointed with the lack of tourist information esp in English from the Hotel. may be it's low season, there isn't a concierge in the hotel. The front desk is small but friendly.
We didn't get tourist info after getting off the train, assuming Kempinki group would have more info on Bruges for us. To the contrary we were given one map and a booklet in French.

I booked a superior Junior suite and I was told it's an upgrade while I don't think so. We were put on a first floor overlooking the so called garden backyard which seems like a playground of a subdivision neighborhood. Throughout this Europe trip, we were told we ve got an upgrade in the room in the majority of the hotel. I guess these are gimmic strategy to make house guests feel good only. The hotel seemed very low in occupancy.

The room is filled with renaissance period pictures and moulding ceiling which I wasn't very fond of. Lighting was a bit insufficient, The bed was comfy, An excellent choice of amenities in the bathroom - Molton Brown, The bed is comfortable and mind all North American & Asian travellers, there is no coffe/tea making facilities in the room.
The design of the room is not practical, the closet is next to the bed near the bedroom door . It should be place in the small area right in front of the bath room door.

The restaurant Manuscript is excellent, we enjoyed the intricate gourmet dinner there. The Chef was professional enough to visit with each table.

It might be low season, i have to agree with other posters that the hotel lack warmth and character, rather boring.

Bruges is picturesque, Don't miss the boat ride.
I

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank yrtx4e
Reviewed August 24, 2008

We stayed at this hotel for four nights in August 2008.

It is a clean, beautiful, stylish and comfortable hotel - albeit expensive. The location of the hotel is excellent. It is close to everything.

The layout of the hotel isn't that great - the reception desk at the front entrance doesn't really 'work'. However, the staff were friendly. We found this hotel slightly boring. There isn't much of an atmosphere. However, if you want a discreet and quiet hotel then this is it.

The bedroom was very clean and the bed was so comfortable. The maid service and turn down service was very efficient. The bathroom was stylish but the walk-in shower wasn't that great. The water went from hot to cold all the time and the showerhead wasn't powerful.

The only negative design flaw regarding the bathroom was the window (with a blind) between the bedroom and bathroom. I thought it was slightly tacky ...and a completely pointless design feature. Also, we had an ugly view of a brick wall out of our window (in other words ...no view).

We didn't have breakfast or dinner at the hotel since we thought it was really overpriced. The bar was very civilised and there is an excellent garden / terrace out back. We enjoyed our nightcaps at this bar.

When we checked out of the hotel the receptionist presented us with a bill for the mini-bar in our room - which we never used. However, she cancelled the charges and apologised for the mistake.

I doubt we would stay at this hotel again - but maybe...

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Reader