“This could be special....”

Hotel Dukes' Palace Bruges
Ranked #13 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
London, United Kingdom
“This could be special....”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Had a friends trip away and decided to treat ourselves and booked the Dukes Palace. On arrival greeted by a very grand impressive building, wow! promise of things to come. As the organiser of the trip, praises were bestowed on what a great choice of accomodation. Sadly, it stoped there. Reception was pleasant enough on check-in, delivering the standard lines they had been taught....."your rooms will not be ready until check in time - 3pm".....now it was not peak period and it was bvious from our stay that the hotel may have had only a quarter of its rooms full.....I cannot remember the last time I arrived at a hotel in low season and was not given a room....a petty attitude. We got back to the hotel after 6 and where assigned rooms. My superior room was fine although nothing special but my friends rooms had issues and they were moved into other rooms. However it did take 2 calls to reception to send someone to investigate.....a wasted 40 minutes of our time. Went out for dinner and on our return found that the heating in the new rooms did not work nor was the water in the shower hot. At 11pm they were offered another room but decided they were too tired to move and accepted a room heater. Unfortunately they had a very uncomfortable night since the heater had no thermosat. On checkout no apolgy was offered and the manager refused to discuss the room issues. I was charged for a breakfast I did not have and not taking my word for it the receptionist took 10 minutes to sort the issue out with the manager. So a 5 star hotel that does not provide a bottle of water, tea or coffee facilities and borders on surliness ....a sad reflection. Unfortunately they dont understand what customers expect from a 5 star hotel ....if they treated their guests as guests not an inconvenience they would do a lot better.....this could have been very memorable....sady it was but for the wrong reasons

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (392)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for 5 nights in November. The hotel has recently (June) been taken over, it used to be a Kempinski hotel. The food and rooms are really good, however it does show signs of reducing quality due to loss of Kempinski brand. Be careful, this is a very expensive hotel, but the service (except front desk) is not as you would expect. Housekeeping not answering phone etc. also I made a mistake on my booking, and hotel refuses to do anything in the form of at least a partial refund. When the hotel is around €350 a night this is not good. Bed was really soft, feet seemed higher than head making our sleep not so good. The main staircase slopes from the wall alarmingly

Room Tip: As for room in Kastel
west midlands
Reviewed November 15, 2013

We were bookked at Hotel Casselbergh and notified 2 days before check-in that we were being upgraded to Dukes Palace. I wasn't happy about this based on the reviews and ratings of both hotels on T.A. We had chosen what we wanted and I spent a while researching and debating whether to book somewhere else. We travelled with friends for a birthday treat and they opted to stick with Dukes Palace.
We took a taxi from the train station and were met by a doorman who warned us about the automatic doors closing on us but didn't help with luggage.
I had e-mailed and stated that we wanted tea and coffee-making facilities in our rooms, as we would have had these in the Casselbergh.
Upon check-in, I was told they were only provided in suites. However, when the receptionist checked, these had been put in our rooms.
The rooms were clean and furnished well, but nothing outstanding. Our bed was large and very comfortable but our friends had two singles with single quilts.
We tried out the pool and spa twice-just about adequate. We went last thing one evening to find wet towels spilling out of the baskets and no water or cups. Someone should be checking this throughout the day. I rang Reception and water and cups were refilled.
Breakfast had an excellent cold selection but what should have been hot never was-a great let-down. The lay-out could be seen as quirky with separate rooms and food and drink in different places, but I felt this was really impractical. Many items were constantly needing to be replaced and when asked the staff would bring them. We weren't ever asked if we wanted more tea and coffee and plates, dishes etc weren't cleared from the table as we ate. One morning, the milk urn nearly fell off the shelf as it was empty.
The first morning of our stay after a late night we were woken up by really loud music at 7am [two hours before we intended to get up]. This music stopped after a while but went off again at 7.30 and 8am. When I rang down to Reception they said it must have been an alarm call next door. I went to see the Receptionist after breakfast and was assured that if the T.V. was set as an alarm, they would check it out to ensure we wouldn't be disturbed again. However, next morning, the same again. This time I was told it wouldn't happen again as the guests had checked out.
We came back around 4.30 one day and our room had not been serviced. We went out again and upon our return, the bare minimum had been done in the room-bed not made up properly, no tea and coffee items replaced and no vacuuming.
The location of the hotel was excellent.
We really liked Bruges but after being woken up early two days running, the cold hot breakfasts and having to keep asking for things which at a five star hotel you shouldn't have to I would have been happier to stay at the Casselbergh.
AS we only paid roughly half the cost I am basing my stars on that, otherwise I would have rated it lower for value.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival at Duke's Palace I was amazed by the structure and it's interiors. Lovely place to stay in and it's location is perfect for those that would love to explore Brugge. The breakfast buffet is very reasonable and good. And their staff is very courteous and helpful to tourist .

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Wencerom
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed in the Dukes Palace hotel for two nights in mid November.

We had a lovely warm welcome from the hotel staff and after a quick beer in the bar we were shown to our room, which was lovely and spacious with extremely comfy beds.

The hotel is in a great location for exploring the town, market place and canals.

Make sure you take some time out and explore the hotel; there are some amazing views of Bruges from the top of the steeple.

The breakfast is also a must, which includes Prosecco and Belgian chocolate, a great way to start the day!

The only slight downside was that the Sauna and Steam room were not working during our stay.

However this is a lovely hotel and we will be returning on our next trip to Bruges.

2 Thank jmangan91
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 13, 2013

When you take a fair lady to a city like Bruges you hope to enchant her with more than your aftershave and book of jokes. To this end and having navigated the multiple room options (a junior, superior suite was where the finger landed) I booked the Hotel Dukes Palace with high hopes of marital success given its 5 star status and THOSE towers. Walt Disney continues to guide my path.
Having trailed the 15 minute walk from the station while carrying the 20kg suitcase (cobbles and wheels make a headache inducing sound; that of the fair lady complaining of the noise) I was exhausted but welcomed with smiles when entering the Dukes. Having been provided with two room keys we entered our impressive bedroom which brought the first smile of the trip from the fair lady. Eveything was in working order and the bathroom contained both a shower and a bath. The toiletries, I was informed, were excellent. Good job I paid extra for them, I said, with a wink.
Upon exiting the building and close by, were restaurants and bars of great order. The city square was a stones throw away (though you'd have to be pretty good at it and able to throw high). The city was lovely. All restaurants I used to enchant my fair lady were of great success, showing that capitalism does have its merits. The following day breakfast was also lovely. I loved the idea that Champagne was included and helped myself to 8 bottles. This is untrue. I doubt anyone ever has any, which is a shame as it just sits there looking lonely. On the downside the sneeky IT manager has put TWO wifi signals in the hotel, one "free" and the other one fast and expensive. Hence they give you slow 'free' wifi with an upgrade option. Shame on them for the price they charge. The Spa was also a bit tired - the steam room reminded me of my old school swimming pool. All the staff were very friendly. They gave you a free chocolate at night. The pillows were the worst I have experienced. There was a choice of an oversized rock hard cushion or a lifeless huge empty one. Though I have taken my personal pillow with me in the past, so fussiness is an issue that I must confess too. Good news - Nice place, great city. Bad news - she said no and told me I can try harder to impress. Thats all folks!

7 Thank jimmykurt1
London, UK
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a weekend break with my wife. Great hotel and excellent service. Breakfast was really good and a great way to start the day. The spa facilities were a great way of ending the day after spending all day walking around Bruge. The bar was really nice to come back to after dinner for a quiet drink although service wasn't the fastest, but still nice way to finish the day. Definitely recommend this hotel and only a short walk to main square. Hotel room we had on 5th floor was reasonable size with satellite tv and free wi-fi and good size bathroom with large walk in shower cubicle and very clean.

2 Thank OracLondon_UK