“An amazing experience”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2014

We opted for the 4 course chef's choice option. Although the courses were not detailed in the menu, the staff were happy to explain what the courses were for that day. The food was beautifully presented and tasted exquisite. Service was not quick by any means but that just gave us more time to savour the experience. There wasn't much choice when ordering wine by the glass, but the options available were excellent. This is certainly not a cheap evening out but will be memorable.

1  Thank Iv0rTheEngine

Reviewed May 30, 2014

Me and my girlfriend visited this 2star restaurant for a treat whilst in Bruges for 2 nights. Being a Michelin star restaurant, we had very high hopes but it was a total let down!

We were firstly disappointed that unless you are in a party of at least 6 people, you can't just order from the main menu. You had to order from the set menus on offer. This wouldn't be a problem if there was some element if choice but there was none. If you didn't fancy what was in the set menu, then tough. There were 3 options...3 course menu (55 euros), 4 course menu (79 euros) or 5 courses for 89 euros. Each had dishes we liked the sound of but equally ones we didn't. There was no option to switch a dish round with another.

We were told upon arrival that the 4 course menu had a main of lamb. We were pleased with this so ordered the 4 course option. Only 5 minutes later, the incredibly stuck up, rude restaurant manger informed us that actually, lamb is off the menu as we've sold out! How can they sell out of a Main dish at 8pm in a 2 star restaurant??? The replacement was duck. I like duck but my partner is really not keen. But of course, at den gouden harynk, that's just tough. You'll eat what you're given and like it.

We so wish we had taken this chance to walk out the door, but being the overly polite people that we are, we agreed to have the 4 courses with the duck as main.

1st course was crab. Was pleasant but totally over powered by the harsh citrus dressing in which it came.

2nd course was white asparagus. An acquired taste shall we say. Again ruined by over powering dressings and masses of oil. Not nice at all!!

3rd course was the duck...an excellent piece of meat with a lovely sauce and carrot purée. But that was it!! No potato fondant or any kind of carb with this main. Just literally a tiny block of meat and a blob if purée! Had there been a side with this, I would have been happy but I was so hungry after the first 2 courses that u just wanted a meal!!

Pudding was jelly and fruit. That's right, jelly and fruit. Say no more. Pleasant but not Michelin standard.

To top all of this, the service was cold and matter of fact. Clearly the place hides behind its stars and basically thinks nothing if its customers. Very much a take it or leave it attitude.

I'm so disappointed to have wasted €220 at this place. We could have ha 2 more nights in gorgeous Bruges for the same money!

Not a place I would recommend to anyone!!

8  Thank Liam198686
Reviewed May 29, 2014

I had yesterday recommended to go out. It was for sure a good tip.

We were very welcome and surprised the whole evening with very tasty and well pesented dishes.

All is made to delight the customer: classy decor, gentle and professional personnel, very fresh ingredients, new but tasty falvours, ... I particularly enjoyed the cheese, my hobby and passion.

Last but not least, very few tourists and elegant atmosphere. Perfect adress to invite a good customer, celebrate an anniversary with yiur wife or invite slected friends.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

We'd eaten at Den Gouden Harynck 7 years ago so had fond memories of the place. The food was very good and the service was efficient, but for the money, we felt that it lacked the personal touch. The main server was off-hand and brusque and his attempt at recommending a wine was pathetic. If I'm spending 270 euros on an a la carte meal I expect much more. Frankly the meal and service the previous evening in Den Dyver at 100 euros cheaper were both better. I suspect that there's a hint of living on its reputation about Den Gouden Harynck these days.

5  Thank APhi
Reviewed May 12, 2014

First class service, first class food and the chef came to discuss his creation. we have rarely had an experience like it