“Wonderful Experience”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Delightful little restaurant with excellent service, friendly staff who were helpful with the menu (we being uncultured tourist who couldn't speak the language) and to food was superb.

The lunchtime EURO39 menu was simply brilliant value given the quality of the food. We cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough.

1  Thank Boro88
There are newer reviews for Den Gouden Harynck

Reviewed October 17, 2013

An exquisite room and a very formal approach to the food as you would expect.

The amusè bouches were plentiful & interesting - the standout was a marinated sardine in a beetroot puree. I would never have thought of that!

I had the pheasant as a main course - very nice but a bit over engineered for my tastes.

Not outrageously expensive and if you're looking to avoid the Moules & Frites that are - worth dressing up for

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Like the couple below, I did some research and picked one michelin starred restaurant to eat in for our four day trip. I was not disappointed!

The restaurant was exactly how i'd expected it to be, classy and sophisticated nestled away in one of the quietest and most sought after streets in the city. The food was superlative.. the tastes were some that i'll never forget, I had high expectations and they were more than exceeded. The atmosphere is a bit reverential but once people started drinking their (very) fine wines, atmosphere increased. The food was obviously expensive, although less expensive than other restaurants of this quality.

A couple of minor criticisms - I would have liked to have seen alcohol volume on the wine list as well as brief tasting notes. I have an above average knowledge of wine compared to the average consumer (grape varietals, regions, typical blends etc, nothing indepth at all) but nowhere near the knowledge needed to say 'Oh Chateau Haut-Chaigneau? Yes, of course, I rememeber that this wine is a distinctly uncommon 15% alcohol and will make me feel quite drunk after just two glasses'.

Also, I would have liked to have been told coffee was an extra 8 euros per person - It's a drop in the ocean compared to the bill but the way that this was presented to me made me assume that it was in with the main meal.

Overally, a very, very good experience that I would recommend to anyone looking for an unforgettable meal in elegant surroundings.

2  Thank restaurantlover19
Reviewed October 6, 2013

While researching restaurants for our trip, I wanted to eat in 1 special, Michelin starred restaurant in each of the 3 cities that we would be traveling to. I was surprised to see so many options in Bruges. I expected a large number in London and Paris, but thought that a smaller city would be easier to choose from. I was wrong. I went to several sites to read reviews and settled on Den Gouden Harynck. The cost per person (75 Euro) is actually quite reasonable compared to other Michelin starred restaurants in the same area. There was no sample menu posted online so I sent an e-mail asking if the chef would be willing to accommodate the fact that I do not eat meat or poultry. I received a quick response advising that the chef would accommodate me without a problem. I made my reservation approximately 2 weeks ahead. They are closed on Sundays and Mondays. I reserved through their website and received an e-mail confirmation from them directly confirming the booking.
The location was slightly off the main path, which was enjoyable compared to the noisy, busy market center.
We were shown right away to our table without waiting. The service was attentive. Our glasses were always kept full and we were checked on regularly. I didn't have to remind the hostess about my preferences as she approached the table and advised that the chef would be substituting sea bass for the lamb entree for one of my courses. That particular night, the menu was pre-set. I actually enjoyed not having to pick items from a menu, instead allowing the chef to produce dishes of his choosing. The table is yours for the evening and it appeared that each course came out for all tables similarly timed. It almost felt as if we were over the chef's house for dinner! The brill and sea bass entrees were delicious. At the end of the meal, the chef came out to greet everyone. He was very friendly and shared his secret with me on how he makes his cauliflower puree so creamy. I actually used his advice upon my return home and was extremely pleased with how it came out. It's not every day that you get to have a one on one, getting cooking advice from a chef in a Michelin star restaurant.
If traveling again to Bruges, I would absolutely dine again at Den Gouden Harynck. If you enjoy good food, you won't be disappointed here.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

A meal was booked months in advance for a special birthday surprise.
We rang a few hours before to ask if we could possibly come a little later....the response was very rude "Hundreds of people have asked for a table today and being turned away!" "If you don't come we will charge 65euros per person!"
We stated that we would of course keep the reservation and this was confirmed with them.
On arrival, we were told that they had rang us back later on, leaving a message to tell us that they had taken it upon themselves to cancel and give out table away!
We attempted to discuss it and explained that we hadn't received any message but they blanked us, turned to the next couple waiting and shewed us towards the door!
No message was later received on either mobile.
I have never been treated in this way before! It was disgusting service!
Don't bother booking. No idea why they have a Michelin star - can't be on the service.
DO NOT EAT HERE!