“Very good food and very good value at lunchtime.”
Review of Cafedraal

Cafedraal
Ranked #202 of 734 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Dutch
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We live in northern France and visit Brugge about every six weeks on a Wednesday for the market and a general mooch around. We always check the lunch menu at Cafedraal as at 16€ for a starter and main course you won't find better food in Brugge. The secret is as a non Flemish speaker is to ask a waiter to explain the lunch menu and then order it. Last week we had a Thai noodle soup as the starter and a steak with Roquefort sauce and fries. This week we had a turkey steak salad and steak with herb butter and chips. We have never had a bad plate of food at lunchtime. There is a very pleasant outside courtyard to sit in during the summer but you do have to get there early in high season. We have ate there once in the evening and it isn't cheap but you get what you pay for.

There are newer reviews for Cafedraal

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Food good but the prices were very expensive for what you get. But it was recommended to us, so we gave it a go £70 pp. The service was ok had better elsewhere.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

We came in at 6 pm as they just started dinner service. The decor is inviting and we enjoyed the music they were playing. The wait staff were not excited to see us. The first waiter grew impatient that my wife wasn't sure about which wine to get. Then we got a second waiter for some reason. The fish soup was decent although as a starter it was huge. No complaints there but the main dish I ordered, the cod fillet, was mostly chewy. My wife had the monkfish carpaccio. It was okay, but not worth the price. The wait staff were not at all interested in our experience. They hung out together in the bar most of the time not bothering to check on us.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

First impressions are of dark and sophisticated ambiance. Most of the light was from candles. We didn’t have a reservation, but, hungry at 8.30 p.m we walked in hopefully. A welcoming waiter found us a table for 4, despite the fact that they were quite busy. The menu promises gastronomic variety, but all 4 of us really fancied steak, so we all just had a fillet steak, cooked how each of us wanted it, with excellent frites, salad, and béarnaise or pepper sauce. A decent bottle of Pomerol from a sensible wine list at an acceptable price made this a very enjoyable meal. We didn’t have room for dessert, but had coffee and little chocolates. The waiting staff were friendly and efficient.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

I fell in love with Bearnaise at Cafedraal. I had the strip steak, triple-cooked chips, salad, and Bearnaise. Every bite was amazing. One of the best steaks I've ever had, the best chips I've ever had, amazing salad dressing, and THE BEST BEARNAISE ever. It was perfect, which is what I would expect from a Michelin star restaurant.

Some have complained about the service, but I can't say the service was bad. I did see a few waiters who looked a bit pretentious standing and staring near the entrance, but I didn't wait an unusual amount of time for the drinks or food or to have anything cleared away. My table was right next to some shelves with really old whiskey, all with ages over 75 years on the label and some with over 100 years! The bathrooms were really modern and lush. A hand towel tower so that guests could use a fresh hand towel and throw it in the hamper after use. I know, it's not environmentally friendly, but it's indulgent. The bathroom floors and ceilings were back-lit and faded into different colors. The bar area had some hanging parma ham, which I thought looked quite posh.

It's expensive, but it's a Michelin star restaurant. It's worth it. The food is wonderful and the staff are only there when you need them, which I think is excellent service in this type of setting. There must have been a few rotten waiters to ruin the experience of the people complaining about service, because if the service was really so terrible, it wouldn't be absolutely packed all the time.

I would definitely recommend Cafedraal. The prices are affordable and the food is exquisite.