“Great atmosphere”
Review of 't Zwart Huis

't Zwart Huis
Reserve with
't Zwart Huis is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #43 of 761 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant with Jazz, blues & soul music,friendly service and good vibes and food. The kitchen is open from 11.30Am till 11.30 Pm. Live music every 2 weeks on Sundays. Welcome, Yannic
Reviewed April 15, 2014

The welcome was great and the food very good - it would have got 5 stars but we had visited the park the previous evening, which has the edge - but you won't be disappointed and we really liked the music mix in the background.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,377)

Reviewed April 14, 2014

A restaurant with unrivalled atmosphere but not the place to go if you want a quiet night! We loved the buzz and the live music, which accompanied an excellent meal.

Reviewed April 14, 2014 via mobile

We went to this place, because we had been told about the great atmosphere and food!
Unfortunately we hadn't booked anything that night, so we popped in and they looked full up, but the owner has a underground restaurant, which was lovely because we were celebrating our anniversary! The background music was nice, not too loud and later on there was a DJ who played some really laid back tunes. The candlelight added to the ambience.
I had the steak with peppercorn sauce and my girlfriend had the salmon risotto, both meals were delicious.
A definite must if staying in Bruges!

1  Thank MarkyT
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I would like to share our experience in what I hope is a balanced review.
We had been recommended a visit and had been impressed, after checking the place out prior to our booking. We were looking forward to a good night out.
Our booking was for 7:30, our food arrived at 10:00. All of the tables around ours had been served and finished their meals. The staff were apologetic and we were happy to accept a round of drinks, by this time the band were in full swing and we were enjoying the music.
To be fair, there were four in our group and three of the meals were OK.
I had ordered a steak. To say it was fatty and gristly is not fair - it was Fat and Gristle! The worst steak I have ever known. ( I am 60 years old and have eaten a few steaks )
More apologies, more free drinks,and some bread and cheese A visit from the manager was welcome, he offered another steak (it was far too late in the evening), he assured me that I would not be charged for the steak. I was satisfied with the best of a disappointing situation.
When the bill arrived, there was the steak! Oh dear! Needless to say I was not impressed and was told that there had been a refund of the fee that is normally charged to see the band instead of not paying for the gristle/steak.( The steak was more expensive).
I was happy to pay for the band, they were great. It was the steak that was rubbish!
The waiter threw a wobbly and basically accused us all of free loading on the drinks.(The drinks that had been presented to us to make up for the appalling service).
I hope you have a good experience, we expected to have good food and were disappointed.
Please beware. The band were very good, but there are plenty of other places to eat in Bruges.

1  Thank DaveW165
baliblues_10, Owner at 't Zwart Huis, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Sir,Yes it is true that you had to wait for 1.30 min for your main course, i came to your table to apologize, I am the owner not the manager. I took the entrance for the band of your bill 20€ and i offer you a round of drinks and a empty glass of Brugse zot to take with you. you told me you were happy. So I think We did my best to please you after our mistake. Best regards Yannic Van Meckeren Owner

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We were recommended the bar by our B&B host. Managed to get a table for 2 despite not booking. Booking is necessary if you don't want to wait for a table, it was completely full when we arrived so had to take wait and have drinks before, but we were happy to do so and glad we did! The food & wine was good and the waiter's and owner were polite and personal. But the highlight was definitely the live music from the jazz/blues band. Great music and really picked up the atmosphere. They came back to the stage for two or three encores and just kept playing until closing time. Made for a fantastic night out and for 3 courses and wine for 2 it was well priced.