“Great service, yummy food”
Review of 't Gulden Vlies

't Gulden Vlies
Ranked #96 of 734 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We decided to try this restaurant after passing by once. It was a cozy place to eat and woman taking care of us was very nice and helpful with translating the menu. The food was very delicious! We very much enjoyed our experience!

There are newer reviews for 't Gulden Vlies

Reviewed July 8, 2012

If I had to rank the food exclusively, I'd probably give the Gulden Vlies a 3 or a 3.5 but we the owner had a very ugly detail with us, which is why I am ranking it so low.

In my opinion, the food is not outstanding. Fine or absolutely normal is the way I would describe it. May be compared with other places in Bruge, the food is good, but if you compare it with an average restaurant in a place like Lisbon or London, the food at Gulden Vlies is average at the most. And it's not cheap either. In fact, it's surprisingly expensive - 68 euros for two main courses (no lobster, but an average steak), one entrance and two drinks. So, no good value for money either.

The lowest point came at the end, though, when we had asked to get the bill. We also asked whether we could have a glass of tap water. The waitress, who is also the owner, refused to bring us a glass of tap water, because they only serve mineral water. I found this a very, very ugly detail. The minimum you can expect after you have spent 68 euros in an average food is to have a free glass of tap water.

Instead, as I said, she refused, which showed me that they care more about milking the tourist as much as possible than about the client.

As I said to my wife 'is asking for a glass of tap water asking too much'. No in my book, so I definitley do not recommend at all this place if you value service and value for money.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We all had the beer menu - fantastic food , lovely owner and excellent value. Definitely deserves to be rated higher. We eat at the Habit on our first night - food fairly nice but totally overpriced!

Reviewed June 16, 2012

We were staying at a hotel near to this hotel and we decided to try. It was fantastic! food great and the owner who served us was fantastic and was very friendly. Go try it and find out what you are missing in Brugges.

Reviewed June 9, 2012

Don’t be put off by the exterior of this restaurant which is a bit depressing, in a small road behind the Crown Plaza Hotel. Inside, the decor is quirky to say the least, with a lot of old radios adorning the walls and it’s quite dark too. However the welcome and efficiency of the one lady who does ‘front of house’ makes up for all that.

The food is a mixture of Flemish & French and is cooked to a very good standard. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal (a fixed price “beer menu” at 20.50 euros) and our wine selection, and we would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant.

The dining room itself is quite small with tables for 2 or 4 people only. It quickly filled up, so if you want to dine after say 8pm, best to make a reservation.