“Seriously, try the rabbit!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bistro De schilder

Bistro De schilder
Ranked #66 of 702 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: French, Belgian, Dutch, European, Central European
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Special occasions, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Welcome The place in Bruges centre to eat good at an honest price
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Seriously, try the rabbit!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

We ate here last Friday, turning up just after 6pm (when dinner begins to be served at most restaurants in Bruges). Because of the low tourist season, it was very quiet, with only about three other tables in the place occupied by the time we left! However, this is certainly no reflection on the quality of the food.

This was probably my favourite meal from our short holiday. I had the Bruges-style rabbit and my fiancé had the rump steak, which he said was excellent. I had never had rabbit before, and I'm so glad I tried it - it was absolutely delicious and came with poached pear which complemented the flavour very well. I would go back tomorrow and have it again if I could! Like we found with other restaurants we visited in Bruges, the portion sizes were generous and felt like great value for the price.

The only thing that could have been better was the atmosphere, but like I said, this was because it was so quiet and there were relatively few other tourists around for that week. I would imagine it is much more lively in the busier seasons.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Kate T

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, England
“Great food and really friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2014

Really enjoyed our meal here.
Staff were friendly and attentive without being overbearing, and food was really good.
Hard to gauge the atmosphere of the place as we visited in the first week of January and everywhere was very quiet, but I'd definitely go back.

Visited January 2014
Berkhamsted, United Kingdom
“When we return to Bruges this will be our first port of call!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

My family and I celebrated my Dad's 60th Birthday in December. We had a day trip to Bruges and in the true style of my Dad, we get marched here there and everywhere when he doesn't actually know where he is going. So, with my sisters claiming to have lost all feeling in their hands and feet, we (sorry, my Dad!) luckily came across Bistro De Schilder behind the main square. The young chap who then had to handle a party of 8, could not have been any nicer and genuinely so too. The bread that came out to start was the best we have ever had and so it continued. The Garlic Prawns where 10/10, the Moules and Frites 10/10, absolutely superb. My boyfriend and dad have since been having competitions trying to recreate the perfect alcoholic coffee that they had there! I have been asked by my family to put this review on behalf of us all, as it really made our day. I just hope its not too long before we all return again.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank LEW30_13
Dimitrivh, Manager at Bistro De schilder, responded to this review, February 18, 2014
Dear jlew30_13

Thank you very much for your review! the young chap enjoyed reading your review and thanks you for it . And We are happy that we are your first port of call !

Thank you and see you again !
Samara, Russia
“Christmas dinner with friends on December 25”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

The place was very cosy and the food was perfect and served really nice. The service was surprisingly warm and welcoming. We were given some appetiziers as a compliment from the restaurant. The furnishing was pleasant and the view from the window as well. We enjoyed the dinner and the time spent at the restaurant.

Visited December 2013
Dear Guzelrakh

Thank you very much for your review ! Our Restaurant is always closed on the 24th but the 25th Open. Yes with menu's you get free appetizers to make you hungry and wanting more :)

Friendly greetings from Bruges Belgium
Izmir, Turkey
“Good food, friendly service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

This is a very friendly, family run bistro style restaurant located in a quiet square away from the touristy centre of town. We had mussels with white wine and coq au vin. The portions are very generous and we were unable to finish all the mussels, although they were very tasty. The coq au vin is a house speciality and may well be one of the best examples of this dish to be found in the whole of Belgium.The frites are also very good and if you want anything that is not on the menu, such as a large salad, they will do their best to prepare something for you.They do excellent fruit pies for dessert, try one with a little ice cream on the side! Finally, the prices are really quite reasonable for what can be an expensive place for eating out.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Kordonblue
Dear Kordonblu

Thank you very much for your review ! The restaurant is run by our family true, fresh fries and we have plenty of desserts for the sweet tooth's

Thank you and hope to see you again !