“Far from luxury as advertised”

Calis Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #56 of 232 Bruges B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Good: Location very close to the central streets. Breakfast even if poor but nice to be served in the room.

Bad: Before coming to this hotel I read past reviews and was excited by its very high value. Now I can surely tell you that the score of this hotel is definitely over estimated a lot. Look what is written in hotel description: "features luxurious themed guestrooms with free WiFi and continental breakfast". It is a very far from luxury place, with windows maybe not changed for the last 100 years, so all noise from the street is in your room. The WiFi in the room in the ground floor simply does not work. You need to go upstairs to catch something. Having WC right in the bedroom is another thing that might shock you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Vladi7623

Reviewed May 21, 2013

This place is amazing! my girlfriend and me stayed here for two nights and enjoyed not only the beautiful room, but also the amazing service of the friendly host Laurance.
The room is basically a suite. It has a table where you receive a delicious and diversified breakfast every morning (fersh orange juice, eggs boild to perfection, fresh fruits, ham, cheese, tasty coffee and/or hot choccolate, joghurt andwhatnot) and the bed is huge and probably the most comfortable one we have stayed in anywhere.
The Calis is located in the very center of Brugge, perfect for strolling around the city, yet it is not in one of the busiest and tourist-crowded streets. We had the Mediterrenean room and it was perfectly quiet.
They have a selection of good DVDs you can watch in your room and a lot of books on different topics, also Bruges guides (though only a small one in english). But Laurence was very helpful with giving tips on any matter.
Laurence and Daniel also run a cosy restaurant located in the basement. Unfortunately we didn't make it to eat there, but the menu looked very tempting.
Whenever we might revisit Bruges, the Calis would be first choice.

Room Tip: The Mediterrenean Room was a very quiet, suite like room with a huge and comfortable bed. The excell...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2013

The rooms were spacious (like mini-suites) with comfortable beds. Bathrooms were also large and well equipped but I know that one of the rooms had no doors on the bathroom, which is not very nice for privacy. The service was also very nice with a delicious breakfast. Location is also perfect: close to a park, close to parking and to the center. I highly recommend!!!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Natalia M
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Although we don't regularly stay in B&B's, this superfriendly B&B in the heart of Brugge with very nice spacious rooms was a very pleasant surprise! Will definitely return here when visiting Brugge again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Creole room, which was great, although I guess the other rooms are probably very ni...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We had rented a house down the street from Calis and the owner recommended we try the restaurant at Calis.

The menu at 35 euros was really excellent. We had great little amuse-bouches of olives, tapenades, and fresh bread. My main - a white fish with a wonderful side of parsnip and pancetta was divine. The dessert - simple but perfect - apple tart was also very good.

My family had the beef and it was top quality. I highly recommend this small, family-run restaurant for the superbe service, fresh ingredients, good wine selection and overall experience.

Delicious!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I stayed at Calis for 2 nights with my husband and a friend. We were told that the African room was big enough to accommodate all of us, and it definitely was. The beds were comfortable, the decor was beautiful, the room was light and airy, the breakfast was delicious, and the location was perfect.
The best part about the place was Laurence, the owner. She was so sweet and accommodating from the email exchange booking the place to when we said goodbye and she offered to mail our postcards for us. She helped us with our bags, gave us restaurant recommendations, and was always available for questions and concerns.
My only (very small) complaint was that we weren't told that the bathroom opened into the room, which would have been nice since we were traveling with a friend. However, she quickly realized it might be an issue and let us use the bathroom downstairs whenever we needed to.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank travelerme_615
Reviewed August 18, 2012

My son and I recently stayed in at the Calis in the Africa room and had a really great time.

We stayed in the Africa room, which was very spacious with a massive double bed (bigger than a king-size), breakfast table for two and twin settee. There is an "open" bathroom with a partition wall, which was no problem for us (fresh towels and bath robes were provided and refreshed each day if you wanted). The room also had a TV with the usual Euro stations and a DVD player (I think my son said it was a Blu-Ray as well, but I can't remember for sure... we didn't use it.) The room doesn't have air-conditioning as noted by another reviewer, but this was not a problem for us because the room airs well during the day even thought it was hot (up to 29C) when we were there. The only drawback here (and this isn't the room's fault) is that you then have to go on a mosquito hunt at the end of the night or you get bitten to death. It added to the fun for my son and I (although my sone suggested buying citronella candles... on the last night, which I guess is an option.)

The breakfast was always excellent and copious. We had fresh orange juice, a choice of coffee or hot chocolate (try the hot chocoloate - belgian chocolate on a stick melted into hot milk), yoghurt with fresh fruit, a boiled egg, fresh rolls, a selection of cheese and ham and a couple of pastries, usually a croissant and a pain au chocolat.

The location was very convenient, being a short walk away from the main squares, with the street also the home to some of the guide recommended restaurants and bars. It is also a short walk to one of the local parks, which was lovely to sit in and watch the world go by (although to be fair most things are a short walk away in Bruges!) There was occassionally some traffic noise in the early morning since the main road and the side road adjacent to the B&B seemed to be a main route through the town, but Bruges is not exactly full of cars and you might only hear a handful of cars before 8am at the most.

Finally, Laurance (the proprietor) was really lovely. She was very accommodating and gave us excellent tips on where to eat (I am a vegetarian) in the town and places we might visit. She was very flexibile about when we had breakfast and was always asking if there was anything else we wanted. She was very welcoming and really helped to make us feel at home.

Overall I think this is an excellent place to stay. It is a bed and breakfast and so you have to accept that it doesn't have all of the luxuries of a hotel, but as B&Bs go this one if fabulous.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family