“Central location and excellent room”
Review of Den Witten Leeuw

and 1 more site!
Den Witten Leeuw
Ranked #46 of 232 Bruges B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 8, 2012

We stayed for only one night and wished we could have stayed in Bruges for a week. This b and b is in a great location, 5 minutes walk from the train station (to Brussels and Paris) and on its own little square with caves right out the front.

Anne was lovely and gave us a map and lots of details. The room was large with a king size bed and a view of the back garden and lane ways. Bathroom had shower/bath and was very large. We had a great breakfast with scrambled eggs, OJ, cereal, fruit, yogurt, coffee and croissant. We were able to leave the bags after check out while we did some more exploring. I really enjoyed my stay here.

There is a pool but it was too cold to try.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 8, 2012

I stayed at Den Witten Leeuw in April 2012, with my wife and another two couples. We were all impressed with the excellent standard of accomodation and the breakfasts. The hotel is in the centre of the city and has a small garden with swimming pool and a sauna. The rooms are furnished to an excellent standard. Not the cheapest but I would recommend it to anyone

Room Tip: I have rated the pool as average because it was early in the year and too cold to use until the weat...
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 24, 2012

John and I visited Bruges on a very quick trip from Paris/Brussels just before Christmas and we loved it. Initially I chose this B&B as I could not find another B&B that would only let us stay for one night but having stayed at Den Witten Leeuw, I would not look anywhere else and hope to come back again - this really is a number #1 B&B.

John and I caught the train from Brussels and followed Anne's clear directions from the station to the B&B.

Anne was ready to meet us with a map for the city and some recommendations of where to visit and how to get to Central Bruges. As we were a little early, Anne allowed us to enter our room and leave our luggage and then the room was cleaned while we were out exploring. I have to say that the room was already clean when we arrived and then was sparkling when we came back. The room was large and the bathroom large too - plenty of room for us to spread out and feel at home. Our room was at the front of the house, overlooking the gorgeous little square.

Anne recommended a fantastic local restaurant for dinner - which we loved, we had the best night eating some awesome food in an awesome location, we have not had the experience of having our steaks cooked right in the room on a big open fire before - it was very romantic and perfect for a couple travelling without the teenagers!

Breakfast was delicious and plentiful, the orange juice freshly squeezed and your egg cooked perfectly the way you like it.

Den Witten Leeuw is a short and interesting stroll to the centre of Bruges, if you stayed in a more central location, I think you might miss visiting the small square and the streets around the B&B which were beautiful. Minnewater is very close too, so you can take your time to visit the swans and not just fly passed in the carriage tour. Also, there were more Christmas markets on the way to the main market square and we liked these just as much as the larger market.

We ended our visit with a trip to De Halve Maan (Zot) Brewery which is located in the same square as Den Witten Leeuw, the tour guide was very funny and even thought I don't like beer as much as my husband, it was worth doing the tour just for the entertainment :)

We left our bags with Anne for the day while we spent the day visiting the sites and we were very sorry to leave after just one night. We hope to come back to Bruges again one day and would not even look at any other place to stay.

Visiting Bruges was a highlight of our trip - thank you Anne for a fantastic stay.

Tessa & John :)

Room Tip: Have a look on the B&B's website to see some photos of the rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TessaCeleste
Reviewed December 24, 2011

Den Witten Leeuw is a first class place to stay in Bruges. Bedroom is smarter than most hotels and a very good continental breakfast plus cooked egg dish. Location is very convenient for the city - only a few minutes walk to lots of restaurants, shopping area and the historic parts. If you book you even get to park for €5 which is a bonus in busy Bruges. Watch the one way streets - plan your route in!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2011

This was a great place to stay, it was clean and great rooms, Anne was really lovely and helpful, she could not do enough for you to assist and advise you, and it was in a really lovely location and at a great cost. Well worth it. Thanks Anne

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 24, 2011

After staying for 2 nights in an "overrated" hotel in Brussels (no. 5) I chose no. 39 B&B in Brugge. To my my surprise, the B&B is excellent! Great location, it's only 10 minutes walk from Brugge train station. The room is beautifully decorated with a nice big bed. The bathroom is huge ! (see photos ) The hostess, Ann is extremely hospitable. I had the best breakfast in Belgium ! Ann made me scramble eggs when I told her I m a vegetarian ! Really feel like home and definitely will
come back! I strongly recommend this B&B !

• Stayed: August 2011
2  Thank CarmyBeachLover
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We loved this B & B! It was quaint, clean, in the middle of historic Bruges, with a pool, a modern bathroom and a wonderful hostess! Thank you Anne!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple