“Just Lovely - Perfect for a City Break =o)”
Review of Hotel Asiris

Hotel Asiris
Ranked #65 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Just Lovely - Perfect for a City Break =o)”
Reviewed February 16, 2011

The rooms are a good size, clean, well maintained and nicely decorated. There was heating, hot and cold water, a bath and a shower, clean towels, a phone and a hairdryer. The rooms come with an ashtray so you can smoke in them if you choose. The staff are very friendly, incredibly helpful and polite. Breakfast is included in the price of the room and is a typical continental buffet style breakfast with plenty on offer and constantly refilled. (I nearly exploded one morning because I ate so much!) There's free parking outside the hotel so you don't need to worry about paying the extortionate prices elsewhere and it's safe to leave your car there for your entire trip. Bruges is so small you don't need a car to get around. The location is good too - a 10 minute walk from the Markt - so just close enough to still be in the heart of Bruges, but far enough away to be tucked away a little. Highly recommended.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Reviewed October 25, 2010

The hotel was great, a very nice bed, NORMAL SIZE, also the bathroom was great, there was even a bathtube.
The decoration is great, and the owner is really nice.
I liked it, it is right across a nice church.
The price was also great, we paid twice that amount in other cities for hotels located on bad parts, or just plain horrible.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2010

The room was small, basic & clean. The location was good. However, the hotel owners were rude and have very poor service & hospitality skills. The waitress at breakfast one morning had a hissy fit in front of everyone as another guest had put a croissant in the toaster. After giving the guest a severe telling off in front of everyone she then proceeded to slam things & yell, creating a totally unnecessary & uncomfortable scene. Eric from reception was extremely rude to us insisting that we had not pre-paid our accommodation & treated us like criminals who were trying to run off without paying. He would not listen to me when i repeatedly told him that i had pre-paid it. When i then produced the paperwork which proved that i had pre-paid it he did not even have the decency to apologise for his rudeness. Security is also not a top priority at this hotel as we came back to our room one day at lunch time to find the door to our room wide open, with all of our belongings at risk of being stolen. The cleaners leave all of the room doors wide open when they are cleaning all the rooms but they are not anywhere to be seen. This was all very disappointing! I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Holidayz25
tucson az
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Owner Katie makes sure you'll have a great stay. The room was fine. The free parking in front of hotel was a bonus.The breakfast was great and the location was supurb, allowing for walking to everything in the old town.

As senior citizens, the 2nd floor walk-up was easy, allowing for great views over the roof tops.

Highly recommend this hotel because of location, price and knowing Katie is there for all your needs.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Bucharest, Romania
Reviewed October 5, 2010

I love Brugge! It's the most beautiful city I have ever been and I am quite a traveler. Stayed here for 4 nights in august, 2010. My second time in Brugge, so I knew what to expect. The prices of hotels close to city centre where high, so when I found this 2 stars hotel at 70 euro/room in high season I was a little bit skeptical. After reading the reviews, I decided to book it anyway, although I usually stay at 3 or 4 stars hotels. But I use the room only to take a shower and sleep, so I needed it to be clean. And I was not disappointed at all! As stated here, it was renovated, with clean rooms, big enough (both room and bathroom) for two persons. Yes, I stayed in bigger rooms, with larger bathrooms and brand new sink and tub, but this is a 2 stars hotel in Brugge, not a cheap city. It could use a curtain for the tub and better ventilation. The bed was comfortable, although at a minimum size for two normal two thin people. These aren’t bad things, just things you have to expect. I was surprised to have a LCD in the room, meaning that the family that runs the hotel cares for their guests. Being an old and classical building, it didn't have an elevator, so it's quite a problem to climb the steep stairs with a large suitcase, but you only do that twice, at arrival and leaving, so it's OK.
But by far the best thing at Asiris is their amazing breakfast, with plenty to choose from, different sorts of cheese and meat, homemade pies, eggs, cereals, and so on... Great start for a full day walk! The breakfast room was very beautiful decorated, as seen in the picture. Our hosts were very kind and helped us to reclaim our luggage, lost by Ryanair, of course... For the night, at the entry you have to use a code to get in, which is very at hand, since they don't have a 24h reception.
So, overall, a very pleasant stay at Asiris. A clean, comfortable hotel, in a classical building for medieval Brugge. Will stay here again and I recommend it. In the city centre you'll find 3 and 4 stars hotels, probably with bigger and newer rooms, but expect to pay at least 150 euro/room. Better pay 70 at Asiris and use the difference to buy lots and lots of renowned Belgian chocolate! :)

• Stayed August 2010
London
Reviewed September 28, 2010

But without the pretend kindness! It is nearly worth booking into this hotel just to experience the rudeness of the owner. We arrived on a thursday, after booking a small room for 65 euros, including the free use of their garage to store our bicycles. We were made feel as welcome as a heart attack from the start. The owner, a large, grumpy, rude and unfriendly character, told us we could lock our bikes outside and when we told him a lady promised a garage, he had the guts of not even believing us and went to double-check with his wife! Once confirmed, he barked that he would take us there, so, after dropping our bags in the room, we came back down, told him we were ready to store the bikes away, he then proceeds to take his bike, and off he goes, without even waiting for us. I thought we would lose him, but nope, the garage was 200 yards away. 200 yards away and he didn't even bother to walk the distance. This really gave us an idea of the sort of person he was: lazy, minimal effort. He showed us the garage, gave us the keys and off he went again, without even waiting for us. The room was small, as per description, which was fine, but very tatty, the blanket dirty. The bathroom was ok, but for the dodgy plumbing, which kept on waking my husband up. Breakfast was fine, typical Belgian, although a 'good morning, how are you' woulnd't have hurt. Oh, sorry, forgot, lazy! And to close this wonderful stay, when I went to pay, that friendly chap asks me for 75 euros, instead of 65. I inform him that I have a confirmation email saying it's 65, to which he adds that the extra 10 are for the use of the garage!!! Of course I tell him that I agreed in advance that it would have been free of charge, and after an initial pause, he gave in. All in all, I wonder why some people, who obviously have no people skills, even bother working in an industry where they have to make an effort. If you'd like to see Belgium's answer to Basil Fawlty, this is for you; if you prefer manners and good service, stay very very clear.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sabrina70
Reviewed May 16, 2010

We stayed ne night in a triple in May 2010

The hotel is a short walk away from the center of town and is much less expensive. a good trade off for me. The owner was very nice and helpful with a late switch in our reservations.
The room itself was very clean and in very good condition It was up the stairs but that is pretty common in Europe. The breakfast room was very pretty and the selection of breads, cheeses cereal was very good in my view a unexpected pleasure considering the price of the room. A very good value, I'd go back again if I was to visit Bruge in the future. Bruge was a very pleasant place to visit.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family