“Lovely Stay”

Hotel Martin's Relais
Ranked #28 of 97 Hotels in Bruges
Reviewed July 25, 2013

What a beautiful relaxing hotel. The staff were excellent and very helpful. I would definitely stay here again on returning to Bruges. The location is great. Finding it hard to find anything bad to say.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hotel Martin's Relais

Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was the 17th visit to Europe for my wife and my 5th so we have stayed at many hotels rated from 3 to 5 Stars. Martin’s Relais Hotel was a bit difficult to access with no off-street parking, but once inside we were immediately impressed by the charm of the place and the courtesy of the staff. This old hotel is filled with antique furnishings and has a delightful charm because of their preservation of the original atmosphere. Our room was a spacious loft on the top floor with beamed ceilings and enough room to set up a ping pong table if we wanted to – absolutely huge even by American standards. The large tiled bathroom had the classic European tub/shower with no doors or shower curtain, so that proved to be a bit messy as we learned to cope with the facility, but the double sink was a much appreciated. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was complete in every respect – the food was great, coffee was excellent and the breakfast room was impressive with candelabra and champagne mimosas. We would likely stay here on a return visit simply due to the charm of the place.
CONS: Minor – A long walk to the Grote Market (4-5 blocks of twists and turns), and inadequate parking – we had to park in a city lot on the other side of town about 7 blocks away, which was a long walk on the rainy night we arrived. The large “double bed” was actually two twin beds pushed together.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Don't confuse this Hotel with Martin's Bruges, as this one is old & full of character. It seems to be 2 or more old canal side house joined into one . We stayed 3 nights in a twin room 103 which was at the back of the hotel with patio door onto a small garden . Room 102 is just as good & both had been refurbished . I agree with the positive comments, aircon, spacious , tea making ,safe, fridge. Comfy beds & nice linen . My tips are go out for breakfast , a short 5 min walk is a pastry shop with pavement tables located by the theatre,Patisserie Servaas Van Mullem , 7 €, there is one closer but doesn't open till 9.30 am. Just across the canal is a Michelin restaurant called La Spinola, v .g but pricey. Ask reception for directions to Tom's Diner , the locals eat there & it is a bistro style ( not an American Diner at all ! ). Second tip , is don't have a canal view room , because of noise from cars, & horses, on the cobbles .

Room Tip: room 102, 103 0r 104/105. Garden view for quietness.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed here on a 3 day trip from the 7th June, did not book breakfast as it was 22 euros and you could go 5 min walk and get one for 6 euros, the hotel was lovely and clean, as were the rooms, and the bathroom had a separate toilet, which is nice, and I would say it had been refurbished, tea and coffee facilties in the room, which I also like, If I go to Bruge again this is where I will stay.

Room Tip: I liked a canal view, cant say what the other rooms are like.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sue N
Reviewed July 6, 2013

Very acceptable location 5 minute walk from Markt bus stop (after catching bus 4 or 14 from train station).
Lovely reception and breakfast room.
Lovely room with some ifs and buts. squeks from room above and squeky bathroom door.
Room 100 (and probably also 99) are at 1/2 basement level with cars passing by which might distrub the light sleeper.

All in all still HIGHLY RECOMMEDED.

Room Tip: Ask tot to be on semi-basement room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LFC_ASR
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We had a great stay at the Martin's Relais! The room was very nice, with garden view and a big balcony! The decor was awesome, very elegant yet pretty much comfortable! The bathroom was very spacious, with fine materials, very sofisticated! We stayed at a room in the end of the hallway and the room was very quiet! The concierge arranged very good meals out of hotel
We'd stay again a 100 times!

Room Tip: The room with garden view and balcony was exquisite, a bit far from main stairs or elevator, but ver...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I had a lovely stay here in July 2010, we always said we would stay again. This time our trip was in aid of celebrating our first wedding anniversary, therefore, it was a very special visit. As we had stayed here before, I decided to go direct to the hotel via email to discuss our stay. I wanted to ensure we had a lovely and romantic room with a canal view, to help us enjoy our anniversary. I went back and forth with several incredibly helpful members of staff with many requests - all of which were met and more. Nothing was too much and the service was delivered with a smile. (All this before we'd even arrived, I was impressed)! I knew we'd made the right decision to book here again!

We arrived late afternoon a little flustered after some rain and getting a little lost. We had an efficient check in and headed up to room 106. Within 5 seconds of walking into our lovely room we had forgotten all about the previous hour in the rain as we observed our champagne on ice and our lovely canal view (oh, not forgetting a cute heart made out of towels with pink rose petals on our bed)!! From this moment, we enjoyed the most romantic and special stay at this wonderful hotel in Bruges.

The location of this hotel is just perfect - 5 minutes from the Belfry and lovely and quiet!

Breakfast is really lovely - the best start to the day! My only gripe is that the scrambled eggs and bacon isn't that fresh and you can tell that. But other than that, it's a fantastic effort.

I would just like to thank every single staff member at the hotel who helped us out in anyway at all - you are obviously still exceeding your customer expectations! Keep up the very good work :)

I don't even know what ranking this hotel has amongst other Bruges hotel's, but I wouldn't even give the top 3 a second glance - this hotel is the one, so get booking!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple