“Very nice and great location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Het Gheestelic Hof

Hotel Het Gheestelic Hof
Ranked #41 of 228 Bruges B&B and Inns
london
“Very nice and great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in a "small room" the hotel location is excellent, we were so pleased, it took us less than 15 minutes to walk here from the station and that was with cases and cobbled streets! When we arrived we rang the bell in our hotel and the receptionist came over from the sister hotel straight away, she was very nice and talked us through the local area and passed on some recommendations. The room was small but was not uncomfortably so, it was very modern and clean and had everything we needed, we were on the ground floor and found it very quiet. The bathroom was a lot bigger than expected and well equipped. The shower was a little old and made a bit of a mess but nothing to put us off using it or to detract from the room.

Breakfast was included and as others have mentioned it is in the hotel across the road, please dont be put off by this, it really isnt much of a 'road' and I have certainly walked further in a hotel for breakfast than I had to for this. The breakfast was very nice, lots of cold meats,cereals,breads,pastries etc and a few bits of warm food. We ate in the conservatory each day. All staff we encountered (i think both the son and daughter of the owners plus a receptionist) were all very helpful.
I would certainly recommend this place, i was almost put off by the past reviews but i am glad we werent for the price we paid compared to other hotels in bruges I think we got a very good amazingly central hotel, we would certainly stay again.

Room Tip: We had the downstairs small room (room 2 I think) and it was small but quiet and comfortable.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Great room for two, strait for three, but OK. But good price, good breakfast, nice situated - quiet. Lovely to have the breakfast in the garden. We hadd booked for one night, but we decided immediately to stay one more night - and could keep the same room :-).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Very helpful staff, clean comfortable hotel (great breakfast), and a wonderful city... however we were in the top (3rd) floor and there is no elevator, the ceiling was depressingly close to my head and the walls a little too close (this may be the standard in Bruges - I've no way to tell until I return - and I will this city and indeed the hotel is surely on my "must return" list). The receptionist was exceptionally helpful with tips for first time (and limited time) in the city travelers.

Don't let me put you off this hotel - the slightly cramped space was the only thing I could find awkward, and I am on the large side of average (over 6ft tall, and lets not discuss waist measurements).... :-)

The absolute magic of this hotel is its location - could not ask for better (if you are on foot), we arrived in the city by train (from Brussels), and a short bus ride towards the center left us about 1/8th of a km from the hotel. I do not think I'd like to drive (I overheard the overnight parking fee and it put New York to shame)... maybe space is at a premium in the whole district???

Room Tip: Ask what floor your room is on!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Overall it was OK, but:
- they sold us a SUPERIOR Room with Bath, but gave a room without a bath just a shower. Moreover this "superior" room had a "view" on a wall. Even after complaining they stated "yes, but it is a big room bla bla bla ...".
- good to know is that they charged 4 EUR for a simple coffee when we arrived, and 4.5 EUR for a small bottle of water from the minibar (although maybe the case in a lot of hotels)
- on the site it looks like a small hotel with just 14 rooms, but in fact it is a depandance of the hotel at the other site of the street where the breakfest is served. So it is not that cosy as it looks like

Room Tip: in the remarks of your reservation ask for a room with a bath and at the front site (it is anyway a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cas-BE
gheestelichof, R at Hotel Het Gheestelic Hof, responded to this review, September 8, 2016
This hotel has new owners ( 2015 June)
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2013

I took my partner to this hotel as his christmas present over new years, it took us about an hour and a half to find the hotel as it's not an 'obvious' one to see, so eventually we got a taxi. That was mainly our fault for not printing better directions or asking someone sooner! It's in the perfect location (with the cathedral next to it and the neighbour being the bishop!). The hotel is not a 5* luxurious place, but for a city break of 2/3 days it is absolutely perfect! We had a small bedroom which is extremely small but cosy and perfect for two people. We had no problems there, comfiest bed i've ever slept in with pillows that your head just melt in! The only small issue was the bathroom got a bit damp and that made it smell a little bit but overall it was clean and pleasant. If your thinking of a short trip away that your only thinking of sleeping at the hotel, and getting ready in the morning/evening (has all the facilities in bathroom) then its the perfect place to say and great value for money!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

I was worried by some of the poorer reviews but very pleased with my stay. High end of average but very good value for money. Room was very small but with a good sized bathroom. iPod docking station came in handy. Excellent breakfast with variety of cold meats, cheese, breads, cereals and cooked breakfast. Excellent location. If you're looking for a cheap, clean and comfortable base for visiting Bruges for a couple of nights I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Peter M
Stuttgart, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

This hotel is smack bang in the center of Bruges old town. It was clean and the double bed was very comfortable. The building it rather old (like the town it belongs too) and I found it to be very interesting although the rooms have been renovated. My room included had a flat screen TV and a mini fridge.

I enjoyed the breakfast which offered sliced bread, croissants, bagels, cold meats, yoghurt, fruit salad, juice and fresh coffee/tea.

The staff were friendly. The front desk was empty most of the time, but the hotel was shared with another joint hotel/restaurant across the road (so never too far away). I think is was good value for money and would stay there again, simply for the awesome location.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple