“Great place for hot chocolate and waffles”

The Old Chocolate House
Ranked #2 of 76 Shopping in Bruges
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Popped by The Old Chocolate House on a very rainy afternoon and despite having to wait a while for a table (the tea room is tiny - possibly seating around 25 in all) for weren't disappointed.
The traditional hot chocolate is 'create your own' style. You are given hot milk and chocolate drops to prepare to your own taste - fun whilst you drink!!! My husband had the Jamaican Choc, which he really enjoyed.
We both had waffles which was enormous and tasted great!! Banana and chocolate & cherry and cream.
The service was lovely - a really nice chap ensured we enjoyed everything and managed the tea room excellently.
Do visit if you're in the area, even if you have to take a little time to wait for a table.

There are newer reviews for The Old Chocolate House

Reviewed November 3, 2013

We stopped for a hot chocolate and noted that there was a small tea room upstairs. We enjoyed the hot chocolate so much (understatement) that we knew we wanted to go back and have waffles - so we did. What can I say to do it justice? The Waffles were absolutely wonderful! I had the hot cherries and fresh cream and my husband had fresh, glazed, strawberries and cream. The mint tea we had was served in individual cast iron teapots and was simply mint leaves steeped in boiling water - and it doesn't get much better. What made it all even more magical was the venue and the service. The small tea room had family pictures on the wall and, as this was a family run business, it was wonderful finding out who these people were from the owner. By the time we left I felt as if I knew some of these people - who looked so stylish and so poised. When it came time for us to leave Bruges, rather than have breakfast in the hotel, we ran down to the Old Chocolate house and had our last waffle. We stood outside waiting for them to open and hoping that we wouldn't be too rushed as we had a plane to catch - and I am so glad we did!

Reviewed October 29, 2013

When it is cold and wet outside what could be better than a huge bowl of hot chocolate and a freshly cooked Belgian waffle with warm cherries?

During our recent trip to Brugge we made two return visits to The Old Chocolate House having first visited in the autumn of 2012. It didn't disappoint this time round either.

We were fortunate to get a table in the small upstairs seating area so don't be surprised if you have to wait for a table to become free.

On our second visit we opted to share the plate of treats mini cakes and chocolates with the bowl of hot chocolate rather than the superb waffles and these didn't disappoint either.

Service is brisk and everything is freshly prepared. There may be lots of competition in Brugge but this little place is worth seeking out and is excellent value for money too.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Perfect place to stop and warm up on a cool, crisp day. My friend and I stopped in on a Saturday afternoon and were able to grab a table easily. A variety of hot chocolates and desserts are available. I went for the dark hot chocolate and my friend went for the hot chocolate with chili. The chocolate of your choice comes as chips in a chocolate cup and you whisk the amount of chocolate you wish into a large mug of hot milk. So delicious. I am so glad we went. We didn't order dessert, but each received two cookies when the drinks arrived. Out the door for under 10 euros.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Extremely good hot chocolate in a wonderful setting. Absolutely enormous mugs and generous portions. Worth a visit.