“My best bar experience in Bruges”
Review of Le Trappiste

Le Trappiste
Ranked #1 of 43 Nightlife in Bruges
More attraction details
Owner description: Le Trappiste is a specialist beer bar located in an 800 year old medieval cellar in the heart of Bruges, only 300 metres away from the main Market Square. 17 Beers on tap including regular guestbeers, 80 bottled and 20 or so on guestboard. We have an international beerlist with beers from Belgium,the Netherlands, UK, Denmark,Germany,USA,Italy.. Well worth a visit if you love beer! OPEN 7/7 at 5 PM
Reviewed November 23, 2013

We came to Bruges for the weekend and my hope was to find a bar with more of a selection of Belgiums famous beers than I can imagine, la trappiste fulfilled that and more. The setting was perfect, older than I care to imagine and a barman who had the time to explain each beer and recommend some from his extensive menu from the feedback I gave him. It's centrally located,although being a basement bar not to obvious to find but well worth it when you do.
Take time out to go here if you like beer, you won't be disappointed .

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The bar itself is stunning and a good beer selection, I'm unsure if I had the same barman as some of these other reviews but he was quite blunt, unhelpful and rude which really let down our visit here. We were obviously tourists and unfamiliar with the selection of drinks available so I'm unsure why he is a barman in Bruges if he has problems being polite to tourists! The bar is beautiful and different from the rest so I wouldn't let the barman put you off visiting, just be rude back!

Reviewed November 12, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Bruges last week and I had read about this place before we went. We happened to stumble upon it on our second night there and decided to give it a try, very glad we did!
First of all, the building itself is beautiful. A restored 13th century cellar sets the ambience nicely. Secondly, the bar man was an absolute pleasure. Regnier was very welcoming, friendly and clearly enjoys his job and knows what he is talking about! I wouldn't dream of ordering a beer at home, it isn't a drink I enjoy but I had vowed I would give some of the local beers a go before we left.
They have a taster selection of five draft beers (out of a possible 11 or 13, can't remember now!) for a very reasonable ten euro. We decided to give this a go and the bar man explained each one in terms of flavour and origin and what order to drink them in. We then tried some of the bottled beer from the extensive, well thought out and categorized menu (starting from 3 euro and most expensive one I recall was 8.50).
We were so impressed we went back the following two nights, tried all of the draft beers and many bottled varieties. Out of all of these, I think there was only one variety that I really didn't like, so ladies if you aren't a beer fan ask the bar tender and he'll point you in the right direction, honestly the beer is lovely!
So glad we found this place, was nice to see somewhere all about the tasting experience. Make sure to find this place when you're over!

Reviewed November 8, 2013

Granted, I only spent 1 day in Brussels and 1 day in Brugge, but this place was one of the best experiences I had anywhere in Europe. We stayed in a hotel right next door and almost missed the bar because of its modest entrance. I love to eat and drink in a special environment and it only took a glance inside to see that this was a must-visit spot. The bar is located in an 800-year-old cellar which was originally used for making barrels. The atmosphere is almost magical and it is the first photo I show everybody from my trip. The brick columns and soft lighting make this place a very comfortable spot to sit and drink for an hour or 4.
Le Trappiste has the BEST beer menu I have ever seen. While its not quite the 300-beer selection that other bars provide, it is the most informative menu. Every selection has a picture of the bottle, a picture of the poured beer, the location of origin, alcohol content, and then a full paragraph describing the flavor. This was a nice change of pace from the other Belgian bars where I just randomly selected a name from the page. The bartender turned out to be the owner, and aside from being warm and welcoming, was thoroughly knowledgeable about his selection. He made wonderful recommendations and even brought us a a limited edition bottle that wasn't on the menu to cap our experience.
I will go out of my way on my next trip to make it back to this bar. It was definitely a highlight of my vacation.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

The place was 20 meters from our hotel, I took a look and decided to drink some beers, the building has 800 years old and its Beautiful, the house beer "the abbot" was great and the owner/barman, taught me a lot about beers and Flemish culture, In this place I also had the luck to find the world famous trappist beer Westvleteren 12, which is rare even in belgium. It was great to find a place managed by someone who has so much knoledge in beers.