“Very good”

Brugge Kiekske
Ranked #512 of 828 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian
Reviewed November 1, 2014

It was raining cats and dogs, and we were looking for a place to dine, but all the restaurants were full. So we went into this small restaurant as it had a couple of free tables. We thought it was a fast food restaurant, but not really.

The food was great. We were 3 people and we ate: 1/2 chicken with french fries and 2 rice with chicken curry. All of them were absolutely delicious. Very good coffee as well.

The service was perfect. The waitress was very polite. Although she was the only one in charge of the bar and floor, she didn't get stressed at any moment.

The atmosphere was nice. The music was very good and the volume was at the perfect level.

The bill was around 50€ for 3 people, so great.

If I had to point a negative thing, I would say the corridor between the restaurant and the toilet. It was dark and a tad creepy, but nothing to worry.

5 stars without any doubt.

Date of visit: October 2014
Write a reviewReviews (12)

Reviewed February 2, 2014

I really wanted to like this place.

The food was good, service was good and it offered good value. Well apart from the main problem I had with it.

Tap water (which I wasn't drinking anyway, I was in Belgium, I'll have a beer naturally)- 1 euro per glass. This is just a nasty thing to do and leaves a bad taste in the mouth. The sort of lame ploy used by a tourist trap.

Asked if we wanted mayonnaise- we said yes. We were then charged 2 euros for two small squirts from a nasty, stale old bottle of cheap catering Mayo that was dumped on our table. This is just an insult.

As a result of this I've marked the place down and I left no tip- which meant for the sake of charging me 2 euros for a squirt of poor quality mayonnaise the owner/server lost a tip that would have been 5 times the amount. Talk about an own goal.

Why they employ this sort of charging policy when the rest of their operation is good I don't know but it ruined my visit and subsequently I cannot recommend them which is a real shame.

Date of visit: January 2014
3  Thank SamCHouston
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

The food was fantastic, prices were beyond reasonable and the family who run it are friendly.
My wife had half a chicken, salad and chips, I went for steak. The chicken was great and the steak....well I havent had steak this good for under £25 in the uk.
With a glass if wine and 2 hooegardens the bill came to £25.
Only criticism is being charged €1 for a small tub of mayo.
Highly recommended, even more so given the price.

Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I decided to give this place a go after paying a hefty amount in another restaurant the night before and feeling ripped off.

I cannot praise the waiter enough. He was very warm and welcoming and was not only attentive to us, but to every customer he had.

The menu is a lot simpler than in the Markt restaurants, but we paid a lot less for food that was of extremely good quality.

If you like chicken or steak and Belgian desserts AND you want good value, this is the place to go to.

Date of visit: October 2013
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

What more can you say about a meal for 2 that involved a beautiful steak, half a chicken, drinks and a waiter with banter all for €33? Most sensibly priced restaurant in bruges in my view.

Date of visit: October 2013