“Little gem in Bruges”

Cuisines: Belgian, French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Got this tip via a whole lot of people on Twitter when I asked around for a 'great dining experience that might cost a bit more than average'. Boy, am I glad I listened to them ...

First: easy parking. The restaurant is right in front of the Zilverpand parking. Couldn't be easier!
The restaurant is located in an old townhouse, like so many of them in Nruges. This means: long small space. They only allow for +/- 28 couverts, so it's just enough not to feel overcrowded. Or feel like the people next to you are listening in on your conversation ;-)

The service is smooth. Not too quick, but efficient. Very efficient. The chef himself delivers the impeccable plates to your table with an explanation of what's on it.

I was looking at the site to see what's on the menu and I already looked forward to the dessert before I entered the restaurant. My god. It was awesome: looks, taste, just perfect.

Can't wait to get back. The prices are the only thing keeping me away, as I'm used to bistro-prices. But I'll be back when the menu changes again. I need to taste as much of this chef's cooking as possible!

2  Thank Margot_VDS

Reviewed December 8, 2013

My wife and I ate here for her birthday following a recommendation from our hotel - so glad we did, possibly the best meal we have ever had. We ate the 4 course set menu @ 49 euro each and felt this was good value for the quality of food. 2 very interesting fish dishes and an amazing piece of venison followed by a cheese course. Every mouthful was something to savour and each course delivered and carefully explained by the chef. This guy is very special and will surely get a Michelin star someday. Thoroughly recommended

1  Thank farradam
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Located in a quiet street in an old private house and yet near the old center of Bruges a young couple has succeeded in creating a cosy place. We had lunch on a day in the week and the restaurant was full, mainly with local younger people. The menu is limited but caters for most tastes while the wine list has some interesting bottles at very reasonable prices. By the way, the "glass of champaign" to start with was a real king size one. As far as we could see the chef prepares every dish himself and often helps his charming but discrete, almost shy lady partner by bringing dishes to the table. The menu has a meat, fish and vegetarian selection. We had fish all the way and were pleased with size, freshness, preparation and presentation. As a group of four we were seated near the kitchen away from the entrance and even with a full house we did not experience the place as "noisy". In our opinion Bernard Bonte is on the right track to become one of the better Bruges'cooks. Definitely worth a visit and we are already planning a return.

1  Thank hendrik_vankets
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My husband and I ate here on the recommendation of our B&B. This is a restaurant that the locals like and is not a tourist joint. We both had fish and it was truly amazing. This chef knows how to make fabulous sauces that are nuanced and flavorful. The atmosphere is starkly modern. The service is outstanding, This is one of the best meals I have ever experienced.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Relatively new restaurant in the city center run by an extremely charming hostess who is the wife of Chef Bernard Bonte, one of the rising gastronomy stars in Bruges.

I had a fantastic starter, a fresh salmon sashimi, which came with an excellent Zeelandic Flanders oyster. The second starter was a very strong tasting pigeon bouillon with truffle and our main course was a piece of veal baked to the perfection with silver onions and figs. All this for a mere 49 euro a head, dessert included. Presentation, composition, freshness, it was all close to perfection.

This is extreme value for Bruges where you either pay a small fortune for the top restaurants or get cheated in another ‘bistro’- tourist trap. They serve an excellent lunch here for 18 euro which is pretty amazing.
This restaurant is announcing a new kind of chefs (see also, ‘Tête Presée’ and ‘Lieven’) in this city, cooking on a high level with fresh and quality ingredients.

Two small and less important remarks: the place can be noisy and sometimes the young but brilliant chef is trying too hard to show off. Using less ingredients can sometimes make a plate stronger.

Applause!