“Worth the visit”

Pomperlut
Ranked #50 of 761 Restaurants in Bruges
Cuisines: Belgian, French
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Pomperlut opens again 10 March 2018 with new Team, thank you all for your patience! We look forward to welcoming you in POMPERLUT!
Reviewed November 29, 2013

Based on previous reviews we booked in advance, and glad we did as they were turning people away all night. We were welcomed by the owner as he was stoking the open fire, it doesn't get much better than that.
The restuarant is beautiful and very relaxing. I only counted 22 people seated for the evening. The menu was on a chalk board, 4 starters, 4 mains and 4 deserts, which change each day. Thankfully the owner spoke good English and translate the menu! Nice touch with the pumpkin soup and bread after you've ordered.
The food is really good. I had the seabass, my wife the pheasant, both amazing. It isn't cheap (3 courses and a bottle of wine will be over 150Euros) and expect things to be at the owners pace but it really is worth the visit and a treat.

Reviewed November 22, 2013

A friendly welcome. Cosy, warm relaxed feel. The decor is unusual, interesting . The menu was written on a blackboard which changes daily. The owner who served us went through the menu for
us and was very helpful with excellent English. We chose our food and whilst waiting were brought a tiny bowl of lovely soup, bread and pate, just to nibble on - lovely. I had gravilax to start and my husband had scallops with cabbage. Then for mains I had venison and my husband had seabass with mushroom risotto. Both good, and good not to get chips - seems quite unusual in bruges. We didnt have desert, not enough room! I woild go back although it was quite pricey - beware the glass of wine prices, €9 per glass, better off with a bottle.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

We arrived for our reservation and walked through a dark curtain into a lovely fireplace and cozy atmosphere. The restaurant is uniquely decorated with a mushroom theme and comfortable seating.

We were seated and given a drink menu and since my husband and I are both beer lovers we choose a Belgian beer we had not had before. It was called Hof ten Dormaal and we opted for the blond, very good beer.

After ordering drinks we were given Duck Terrine, bread and
Pumpkin soup. The Duck and soup were both wonderful.
I chose the salad with goat cheese, mixed greens, green beans, pine nuts and apricot chutney to start and my husband had the Scallops with cooked cabbage in a nice sauce. Again both items were wonderful.

For dinner I ordered the Filet of turbot on a bed of sea lavender (?) with a light curried sauce and mashed potatoes. My husband had the Pheasant with Belgian endive, poached pear, potato croquettes in a nice sauce. Both were amazing and we were very impressed with the quality and freshness of everything we ate here.

For desert I had to try the Chocolate desert (lava cake) with ice cream since I love chocolate my hubby just had a Cognac :)

The menu is in Dutch on chalkboards but the owner is very sweet and explained the 4 starters and 4 mains very well to us.

I look forward to visiting again when we are in Bruges next April.

Reviewed November 2, 2013

We were lucky to get a table when the owner said he was full but then got a phone call and told us to stay put somebody had cancelled. While we were there quite a few people were turned away so I would suggest booking in advance. The menu consisted of starters and four mains giving a choice between fish or meat. All the meals appeared to be freshly cooked to order and were decent sized portions and in my opinion well presented. We were presented with a wine list but opted for the suggestion of day which was chosen to complement our meals and we were not disappointed with the selection. Good choices of deserts which help complete a good dining experience. Service was good and the restaurant is well worth a visit should you be looking for a decent meal while in Brugge.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

This was a unique dining experience. Pomperlut has an interior that somehow combines elements of Hogwarts, Alice’s Wonderland, Middle Earth, a Dutch coffee shop and a friendly old English country pub. It looks and feels as if it has evolved naturally over decades but is in fact quite new and superbly designed with great attention to detail. It really comes into its own at night where the huge log fire and the ambient lighting shows off features like the row of giant carved wooden mushrooms along a high shelf and the gnarled beams criss-crossing the walls. Photos scarcely do it justice. The atmosphere is enhanced by unobtrusive background music which was mostly a kind of soft folk-rock coming from a fine sound system. Above the restaurant is a lounge in keeping with the overall style. I could go on. There is much more to enjoy here. Potential guests should note that it is small, seating around 20 - 25 people, so almost certainly needs to be booked in advance.

The restaurant is managed by two brothers, one is the chef, the other waits on the tables. The menu changes regularly, focuses on seasonal produce, and is chalked on the walls – four starters, four mains and four desserts. Everything we ate was absolutely delicious and perfectly cooked. The style is essentially French/Belgian country fare. My wife and I had two starters, two mains, one dessert, a bottle of wine, two coffees and a dessert liqueur and the bill came to 148 euros. Not cheap, obviously, but for such fine food and an unforgettable dining experience we felt it was very well worth it.

The service, too, was excellent. Although there was only the one waiter he was friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. He and his brother have achieved something very special here. We can't wait to return.