“Clever!”

Historium Brugge
Book In Advance
$22.77*
and up
Bruges Historium All Inclusive Package: Entrance Ticket, VR Experience and a...
$20.97*
Bruges Historium and Groeninge Museum Entrance Tickets
$5.99*
and up
Bruges Historium Virtual Reality Experience with Optional Historium Direct...
Ranked #22 of 153 things to do in Bruges
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Start your visit to Bruges in the Historium: a wonderful historical-experience attraction that takes you back in time to the Golden Age of Bruges. Cinematic sets, with music and special effects, propel you into a love story, based on Jan Van Eyck’s painting ‘Virgin and Child with Canon van der Paele'. For anyone who wants a taste of virtual reality: the VR Experience takes you on a virtual tour of medieval Bruges. You travel back in time and get to explore the historical city interactively. The Historium is housed in a historical building on the market square, where the Waterhalle once stood. The Waterhalle was the central shipping entrepot of the thriving mercantile centre Bruges. Bruges was renowned for its luxury textiles and clothing. But the art of Bruges was also highly prized: precious metals, manuscripts, miniatures and of course, the painted panels of Flemish Primitives, such as Hans Memling and Jan van Eyck. In the attraction and the VR Experience, the Waterhalle is superbly reconstructed. You can follow the story in your own language on an audio guide (10 languages). After your visit, you can enjoy a nice Belgian beer or other refreshments in the Duvelorium Grand Beer Cafe... with a panoramic view on the market square. Historium Brugge is open daily from 10h00 a.m. – 6h00 p.m. (tickets until 5h00 p.m.). Accessible for all ages – Family Trail included. Audio guides in 10 different languages.
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Very enjoyable learning experience. A bit like the Jorvik Centre and the Canterbury Tales experience in York and Canterbury, so sounds and smells, etc. Great view from the balcony. It was pouring when we went to a good way to spend a couple of hours before lunch in inclement weather.

Review collected in partnership with this attraction
Write a ReviewReviews (2,657)

Reviewed January 11, 2014

As regular visitors to Bruges, we were drawn by something new to see. All the publicity looked interesting, so the day we went we were surprised how easy it was to pay and get in almost straight away, despite crowds of people all around. We got our audio headphones and only had to hang around a few minutes.

I really enjoyed how they had set out the trail through the different rooms with the different opening doors. I was captivated by the story and the graphics of the films. I felt we had to move on quickly when the door opened and would have liked to have lingered slightly to see the rooms we were in. Only about 10 people at a time in each group, but if you waited I'm sure the group behind you would soon be in.

This part only lasted for about 25 minutes, the graphics showed life in the 15th century I think, interesting story but a bit lightweight. If you want a spoiler one reviewer has given a synopsis of the film if you are interested in advance.

Once out in the open you could spend as long as you wanted looking at various informative pictures and boards and receive further audio info by keying in relevant numbers on your audio device. It was a little crowded now at this point on our visit. Yes, it was lovely to look out from a high panoramic view outside over the Markt and hear info from your headset about the various buildings.

I think the whole visit lasted about one hour. I thought it a little overpriced for what it was. As another reviewer stated you come out into the bar at the end, but we went there before for a coffee. Feeling a little under the weather I didn't feel like a beer at that time of the day, shame as there was a good selection and a knowledgeable barman explaining the beers to customers who had queries.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I enjoyed it with reservations, but I can clearly see some of the very negative points of view after being there.

If you fancy visiting, go with an open mind and enjoy the entertainment. Have a beer at the end !!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

I would invite everybody to visit Historiun Brugge, to understand better the history of this pretty town!

Reviewed January 10, 2014

I'd put the Historium Brugge right up there with the Chocolate Museum and the excellent chocolate shops as top tourist must-dos in this charming Flemish city. We actually went with friends who live in Belgium (Ostende) because they liked it so much.

It's basically a multimedia tour of 15th-century Bruges, imagined through the eyes of an apprentice in the studio of Dutch Master Jan Van Eyk. You walk from room to room (and up several flights of stairs, be forewarned), each one outfitted to look like a typical locale (the port, Van Eyk's studio, a craftswoman's studio, etc.).

The rooms are knitted together by a story told through film with actors cast as the characters, including Van Eyk and the beautiful model for one of his best known paintings, Virgin and Child with Canon van der Paele. The movies are shown on screens that are sometimes in unexpected locations -- the table in a pub, for example. There's also the occasional audioanimatronic figure, like the aforementioned Canon shown waiting to pose outside Van Eyk's studio. Some rooms even emit the associated odors such as turpentine in the painter's studio (but not offensively strongly).

It's a lot of fun, and when it's over there are a few companion exhibits and access to a balcony overlooking the main square, where the Historium is located. There's a place where you can have your image digitally captured and superimposed over the face of the Madonna on the painting to post on Facebook or mail to friends -- I did it, and while the software keyboard was messed up (so that it took forever to type in my address), it basically worked and provided a great souvenir (I'm attaching the image below).

Tickets online run 11 euros for adults, cheaper for the kids etc.-- certainly reasonable for the experience. There's a pub in the building -- we went for beer and coffee afterwards.

I'd never heard of the Historium (this was our first visit to Bruges) but I would highly recommend it for tourists of all ages.

Reviewed January 10, 2014

My husband and I found this very interesting. I had expected more interaction and animation due to the publicity on the brochures but it was good and a nice way to spend a couple hours in Brugge. The view from the balcony was a great photo opportunity.