“Waste of time and money!”
Review of Historium Brugge

Historium Brugge
Ranked #22 of 153 things to do in Bruges
More attraction details
Owner description: Historium Brugge is an experience attraction and the perfect starting point from which to discover Bruges. The historically inspired and experience-oriented set-up of the attraction shows visitors how citizens of Bruges lived during the city's Golden Age. During a 1 hour performance visitors travel back in time and walk through 7 themed rooms where they will be carried away by an exciting love story that illustrates life as it was back in 1435. In a fascinating way both young and old are teached about Bruges' rich history and cultural charm. After visiting the attraction visitors can learn more about the city's medieval past in the interactive exhibition where visitors will be provided with detailed explanations about historical images and artefacts that are a part of the attraction. An interactive quiz acts as an educational and fun-filled way of transferring knowledge.The total duration of a visit is up to about 1,5 hours.After having enjoyed the unique and magnificent view over the town square from the 2nd floor's panoramic terrace, you might as well taste some nice Belgian beers at Duvelorium (Grand Beer Cafe) with covered terrace for another marvellous panoramic view over the Markt. And why not go home with some selected souvenirs from our museum shop?Situated in an authentic historical building in the heart of the city, Historium Brugge is the perfect gateway for a unique visit to Bruges. Historium Brugge is open daily from 10AM - 6PM (tickets until 5PM), Friday from 10AM - 8PM (tickets until 7PM).Start your visit to Bruges here. Historium is your rendezvous with history.
Brussels, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Waste of time and money!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The show consists in a twenty minutes film, decomposed into seven sequences, presenting a love story with the medieval city of Brugge as background. Nothing more. I didn't learn anything about the history of Brugge, Jan Van Eyck or the Flemish painters. From a cultural point of view it is very poor and I am very disappointed by my visit.

2 Thank Thomaline
ReneTolenaars, Manager at Historium Brugge at Historium Brugge, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear visitor,

Thank you for your recent visit at Historium.

I sincerely regret to read you didn’t enjoy Historium Brugge. During a moving love story we try to give our visitors a unique look on how it was to live in Bruges in the 15th century.
Kindly be informed that in the movie old historical buildings that even don’t exist anymore (for example the famous Waterhalle and beatiful St. Donaas Church) are brought back to life. Using cutting-edge technology we created a unique flight over the medieval city that shows Bruges completely like it was back in 1435 with 100% historically correctness. Keeping this in mind I think we can say that Historium Brugge offers both cultural and historical value for its visitors.

After visiting the attraction you can walk through the AfterShow where you can let all your impressions sink in and learn more about the history - facts and figures - of Bruges’ medieval past.

It's not our goal to be a museum, but a historically inspired attraction that is a good gateway for a unique visit to Bruges.

• Arabic first
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Needs some work...”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I'm from Bruges myself and will try to be objective here:

The location is great. No discussion. Next...

The organization is perfect. Time tables, cue-management, staff (well, the one girl),... Still, a happy camper here!

The technology used is brilliant. Apparently the foreign-language audio still needs some work as not everything is perfectly dubbed, but all in all, good! The lighting, the doors, the synchronization,... Still, wonderfull!

The details in the rooms, and in the movie are very good. Historically correct decorations, cloathing, buildings,... Really, a fine way to get a 'feel' of what 15th century bruges must have been like. A little...

Now, all this praising builds some expections, doesn't it!? Certainly taking in account all the advertising for the place. 5 senses!? No... A real life expercience!? Well, you get an idea... A dazzling love story!? This might be a matter of taste, but I have good taste, so no...

And that's the reason why you get this many bad reviews on this 'attraction'. I believe the price of 11€ is a correct price for such a costfull installation. But then it has to be perfect. The story has to be GREAT, the acting Mind-Blowing! The audio brilliant. The senses overwhelmed with scents, things to feel, see,... So, close, but no cigar...

The one thing I felt was really missing, was some explanation before or during the "show". I can imagine that a lot of the members that score this thing so badly didn't have a clue what the locations in the attraction were supposed to be. There's just the story, no historical info. And that's a real miss IMHO... It's all (or a lot) explained in the after-show, but that's too late to make the attraction better, isn't it...!

One has to take into account that the price also includes entrance to the terrace, with a great view. And also there's an after-show with a lot of explanation about the stuff you have seen in the attraction.

So, to conclude; They say this is a great way to get to know Bruges, to start your visit,... I say: if the weather is descent, go out! walk through the city. Don't mind the couple of buildings that are lost and recreated in the movie; enjoy the hundreds of buildings that are still there! Enjoy Bruges! And then, after a couple of days, or maybe on a second visit, or on a rainy day, after visiting a museum, when you have formed an idea of what Bruges is like now, and how it was before, THEN, you should go there! Really! You should!

ps: Ticket should include toilet too...
pps: I scored this a 4, yet it's still just a 3 but clearly growing into a 4! :-)

Visited December 2012
2 Thank Thomas M
Dear Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about Historium Brugge on TripAdvisor.

I’m glad to read you enjoyed our cutting-edge technology and the fact that every element in Historium is 100% historically correct.

As you mention in your review, whether you like the story or not, it’s a matter of personal taste. We get a lot of positive feedback on the movie as well. It’s a good way to teach both young and old about Bruges’ rich history and cultural charm.

Thank you for sharing your constructive feedback with us as we strive continuously to increase our service.

brussels, belgium
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Better if you have a guided tour afterwards”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We took the tour on Saturday afternoon... and were impressed and disappointed...
Impressed with the technology as it is really well done, you get a glimpse of 15th century Bruges through a story... It shows how Bruges looked like in its golden age, the story is an extra feature and nice for a visit with children. The most important is however life and tools in Bruges then.
What we didn't like is the speed we were ushered from one room into another... It went too fast, and if you happened to be the last one getting into the next room, you probably lost already part of the activity (not the story, as these headphones provide you with that). Afterwards we all enjoyed being on the terrace.
We had booked an extra tour with a very knowledgeable guide (Sabine) afterwards for a 1hr tour of the places shown in the Historium, and she linked extremely well the 15th century situation to what we still see today and to what happened as through the ages. Would highly recommend to add this walk !

On the toilets, you need indeed a 50cent coin to enter, and the system isn't very user friendly - but there is a machine giving you change when entering the cellar. They were very clean though.

Dear visitor,

Thank you for your recent visit at Historium and to take the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I’m glad to read you enjoyed our approach to use high-end technology to show visitors in a unique way how it was to live in Bruges during the 15th century. We’ve put a lot of effort in the process to create a historically inspired and experience-oriented set-up.

The attraction itself lasts 35 minutes, but after that you can visit the AfterShow where you can find more historical background (facts and figures) about the buildings you’ve seen during the movie. I’m glad to read you enjoyed our panoramic terrace with a beautiful view over the Market. We get a lot of positive feedback on that one.

Historium is a perfect way to prepare for a visit to modern Bruges, and I agree that a guided tour through the city afterwards is a perfect addition to a visit to Historium.

Waregem, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Wonderful”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We visited Hirstorium in Bruges and we loved it! Great movie, great experience, historically a lot to see, brought in a beautiful love story. I never saw a similar botehouse before. Amazing. This must have been the shoppingmall of the Middle Ages. It doesn't take too long, only 20 minutes and really worth its 11 euro. The perfect start to visit Bruges.

Visited December 2012
ReneTolenaars, Manager at Historium at Historium Brugge, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Francis,

First of all I would like to thank you for your recent visit at Historium, and to take the time to share your wonderful experience with other people on TripAdvisor.

I’m glad to read you enjoyed Historium. Every element in the attraction is 100% historically correct. We reconstructed historical buildings completely like it was back in the 15th century. Film, decor, music and special effects merge all this into a unique experience, and I’m delighted to read you describe the attraction as a perfect start to visit Bruges.

I wish you all the best and send regards from Bruges.

Wakefield, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“I was 'THERE'”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Ok - this is going to be a long one . Anyone who has read any of my posts KNOW how much I love Bruges and the people. I have been so excited about Historium since I first heard about it and followed the progress of the start of the preparations of the building. It was like waiting on the birth lol

Then, when it opened, I read the reviews with a heavy heart - but decided that not everyone feels the same about things as I do. I went in with an open mind - to be prepared to be disappointed if I am being honest. Nothing could have been further from the experience I had.

I loved the entrance - the music in the background was in keeping with the era we were stepping into, the decor was spot on. Lovely cheerful lady at the info desk for the experience ( red hair) When our tour was starting I counted down the seconds until the first door opened . The head sets were given out and we were ready. I WAS concerned as the dude wears two hearing aids and a lot of the time we have been on things like this the audio hasnt been great for him. This time - well - he was over the moon . He said afterwards that it was like nothing else he had used. So a mega tick in the box for that :)

I was engrossed in the movie, Jacob was so gauche when he saw Anna, it was really sweet , and Anna had a serenity about her (brilliant casting) The green parrot - I have been led to believe that in Primitive Flemish art a parrot in a cage with the door open signified the loss of innocence so chuckled when it kept flying off. But we did realise in this story the parrot snapped at everyone except Jacob and Anna .

The move from scene to scene was smooth - loved how some of the footprints lit up so you could follow them.

The bath house - it smelt so lovely warm and clean, I would have had a dip as well if I could :)

And the ending - well - I don't want to spoil it for people but I actually shouted YESSSSSSS and punched the air

Yes - I thoroughly enjoyed it - and we are making plans for returning.

I totally 'got' what it was - I really felt I was there, and as for price? I am a Scot married to a Yorkshireman - and we are supposed to be tight with money - but hand on heart I would happily have paid more .

I was going to fill out the form after the experience but couldn't get hold of a pen - yes the panoramic balcony is amazing, the after show area is well laid out and not too 'deep' but very informative.

And as for the charge for the toilet - I always thought it standard in most places - even the fast food chains charge.

Visited January 2013
ReneTolenaars, Manager at Historium at Historium Brugge, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear visitor,

Thank you for your recent visit at Historium and to take the time to share your feedback here on TripAdvisor.

I’m delighted to read you enjoyed the Historium experience. Be assured your feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff. We’re working hard to give our visitors a better understanding how the citizens of Bruges lived during the 15th century. Historians en top designers joined forces to create Historium’s unique concept, and I’m glad we could exceed your expectations.

I wish you all the best and send regards from Bruges